//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will start but stalls almost right away: I'll explain more

Newrider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Will start but stalls almost right away: I'll explain more

OK I hope someone can help me.. I currently bought my first bike not knowing much at the time I bought it... But it's a 200x auto x with the 200s motor I had the gaskets valve seals and piston and rings put in.i tore down the entire bike to paint and clean it up a little the header was a mess it leaked in 3 spots so I bought dg exhaust ND header for it cause that's all I could find I put everything back together and couldn't get it started so I ordered a mikuni carb for 30$ on eBay.. I don't have any experience with fixing bikes but I have tools and I'm not afraid to dive in. I'm like a professional with these pull starters considering I took it apart and rebuilt it 10 times.. OK I have a nice blue spark. I have good compression.. So now I push it throw it in gear it starts but then dies after about 20 or 30 seconds and I'm trying to keep it running.. In 1st gear it felt like it had no power.. It wasn't chocked so I pulled the spark plug and noticed it was black not wet but like a dry sooty black so I did my research and people on here say to rich but it's acting like its not getting enough fuel... Anything at this point will help ..I am stuck !!!!

--
    You may have nice blue spark but make sure your ignition timing is right, with your pulse generator. Make sure the Jets are right in that carb, 200s stock is 100 main and 35 pilot I think.

--
    How would I check my ignition timing?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Newrider View Post
    How would I check my ignition timing?
    Some where in this site you can down load the manual

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Get the manual for what ever year your 200X is and what ever year your 200s motor is.

The book will go into detail about setting the timing up and all the stuff.

Post back with what you found.

You can fix this easy!

Most people can't get spark. You got it!

Fuel to i sounds like.

The black is because your timing is F'ed up.

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    $30 Ebay carby's, as i found out recently, are a little less than desirable for the 200X's. They fit and work, but the main and pilot jets are severely underjetted for 200X, mine [ebay] came with a #95 main jet & Pilot jet #15,

standard for the 200X main jet is #110 [pre '83], #108 [for post '83], not sure on the std pilot jet, i think it is #40

my '84 200X runs #125 & Pilot jet #40 [only basic mods, not a racer].

Ive heard its an idea to use the new carby body, but replace the main jet with the ones from your original carby.
    n

--
    If you ordered a carb for 200x it's probably the carb, I just ordered replacement for a 200s and it had 94 main and 34 pilot.

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Carbs are very easy to clean.

They should show signs of deterioration for a long, long time before they just don't work at due to wear.

The problem is corn gas.

Try not to use corn gas in any ATV's or lawn equipment. Especially not 2 strokes.

I am lucky to have a non ethanol station 2.7 miles from my house.

Its a daunting read but have a look to see what ethanol does to our precious machines. You can do an easy search and find out why you never want to buy the stuff again. Fine for cars though.

Here is a site that has a lot of locations for non corn gas stations.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    OK thanks everybody.. Just got home from work and while I was at work I watched a couple videos on how to set my ignition timing so I'm gonna give it a try now... I looked my bike up on the Honda website a couple weeks ago and it said it was a 1985 atc that's all it told me.. The engine really have no clue what year all it says on the engine is 192cm that's how I new it was a 200s motor and because it's only way to start it is this pain in the pull starter. I'll post updates as I move forward.. Ohh and the carb is a 200s carb not an x

--
    I just tried lining the lines up in the Cdi box with the F on the flywheel and the top black peace woulnt line up it can't move over the last 8th of an inch to line up without obstructing the case which also wouldn't work because when I tighten it down it would be jammed against the bottom line peice

--
    Your supposed to unbolt the plate behind your weight. It's two Phillips head bolts

Actually the plate your pulse generator is bolted to it turns left and right
    Last edited by Kingcricket; 07-25-2016 at 07:30 PM.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160725_195605.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	233629 if this pic shows up.. My thumb is showing one of 2 Philips head screws I unbolted and this is the closest I can line in up without over lapping where I would put the housing back on

--
    Think you better double check your cam because that shouldn't be that far over. If you're ahead a tooth your valves are off and your timing and it won't run very well
    Last edited by Kingcricket; 07-25-2016 at 08:23 PM.

--
    Final questions, I never done this before but I'm gonna give it a go.. Do I have to pull my engine to do this ? How do I tell if my piston is all the way up?

--
    Don't take the engine out. You can check and manipulate the cam timing with it installed.

Who installed your valve seals, piston and rings?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //