//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carb adjustment advice. 1983 200X

--

Carb adjustment advice. 1983 200X

Long story short. My 200X runs good. Took the carb off. Cleaned it. Put it back on. Fired up first kick.

2 questions.

I set the Pilot screw at 1 3/4. It did not have much tension and felt loose. I am worried about it backing off. Teflon tape on the threads?

Also. Hard to set the idle. It is high or low. Guessing the stop screw and the slide have a bit of a burr or not a good clean surface as it is the stop and is a slanted surface.

TIA.

--
    Sounds like you might be missing the spring that holds the washer and oring in place and also creates tension on the mix screw. Did you remove the screw to clean it? If everything is there, sure, you could teflon the threads.

Idle: Could be as mentioned, an indent with a ridge in the slanted suface of the slide, but when you say high or low, does it die when it goes low? If so, it could be that your pilot circuit isn't completely clean yet.

You can de-burr the ridge on the indent, but it won't ever be perfect. Could try drilling a small hole for something to grab to and filling it with solder, but it might wear out.

I've also seen a case where the pilot screw tip was bent, and it caused an erratic idle.

--
    Nice one. I think you were point on with the spring/washer/oring. I did remove the pilot screw to look at it. Put it back in and turned it out 1 3/4 turns.

I think at this point I will order those pieces up. Slap some RTV over the screw to prevent it from backing out as I am taking it for a rip on Sunday on the trails.

Ya. I will figure out something on the idle thingy. I have it set a bit low and idles ok. Just could use a little more RPM.

*EDIT* Sorry. It does not idle up and down. Idles consistant. A small turn on the idle screw and it is too low or too high. That's where i think there must be a bit of a ridge on the slide.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    *EDIT* Sorry. It does not idle up and down. Idles consistant. A small turn on the idle screw and it is too low or too high. That's where i think there must be a bit of a ridge on the slide.
    Yea I gathered that, I was just throwing out the bent screw story as bonus info.

Don't put RTV on your fuel screw. Your original idea of teflon tape was better, but still temporary until you get the parts.

Since realistically, your slide is worn out on the idle ramp, I'd just buy a brand new replacement carb. They're around 25 bucks on ebay and the parts (mix screw, etc) are copies of the original. Going this route, You'd have the choice of using brand new parts from the new carb to repair your OEM carb, or swapping the jets out of your stock carb to the new one.

Here is one from Wincycles, a highly regarded distributor. The carb is an Emsted, of which I have installed several with excellent results. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200...dU7Mj3&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by DohcBikes; 07-28-2016 at 09:48 PM.

--
    Thanks DohcBikes. RTV worked. For now... Thought I had Teflon tape kicking around. Trike ran up good. Had a blast. Ran the trails for 1 1/2 hour today.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200...dU7Mj3&vxp=mtr these are great carbs but be sure to take the choke flap off and put some lock tight on the screws as I have had problems in the past where the choke flap screws have ended up in my head.

--
    Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
    Looked into it a bit. Cost plus shipping and the exchange rate to Canadian funds I don't think is worth it. Add that I would have to locktite the screws and hear that the jets are smaller may not be worth it.

I think I will go the carb kit route and spend a couple minuites on the slide.

--
    DohcBikes. Ended up taking your advice... Just ordered a carb from them.

axeman24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    so I am having a similar problem in my auto x I tried filing down the burr on the idol screw ramp no improvement
    it idols unpredictably sometimes idols forever sometimes dies immediately with no throttle
    I have messed with the carb for hrs even swopped carbs out I have 3 original and one oversized reproduction

also bike seems to loose power at sustained full throttle will give full power when accelerating but if I hold thr throttle down it boggs but if I back off the throttle a little it will run well but I think it has more to give

my hunch is this the intake manifold feels like its made of rubber but I think it is metal covered in plastic
    could the manifold be cracked and the plastic holding it together
    if so would it create this type of problem

--
    ^ not sure to be honest axeman24? Theses things should idle all day long and never miss a beat in a perfect world. Plug issue? Coil? Hard to say really in your case(?)

*UPDATE* Just got my new carb in the mail today. I have been working like a bandit @ work and not much time on the ATC... Going to pull the carb off the 200X and take both carbs apart and make 1.

--
    I had the same idle issue you did. Ordered a new carb thinking i could just use the slide out of it and they were different. Didnt want to swap carb because i have rejetted it. I took a dremel and lightly ground my slope it seemed to fix my problem for now.

The problem i see is the metal seems softer under the chrome finish so it will wear/dent easier again

--
    What carb did you order?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    What carb did you order?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/220962434152...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

--
    It looks like a good deal, let us know how it works. I want to pickup a project 185s or 200s one of these days as a fun little camp bike. I still kick myself for selling my 82 185s.

David (david@wrightracing.net)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman24 View Post
    so I am having a similar problem in my auto x I tried filing down the burr on the idol screw ramp no improvement
    it idols unpredictably sometimes idols forever sometimes dies immediately with no throttle
    I have messed with the carb for hrs even swopped carbs out I have 3 original and one oversized reproduction

also bike seems to loose power at sustained full throttle will give full power when accelerating but if I hold thr throttle down it boggs but if I back off the throttle a little it will run well but I think it has more to give

my hunch is this the intake manifold feels like its made of rubber but I think it is metal covered in plastic
    could the manifold be cracked and the plastic holding it together
    if so would it create this type of problem
    You likely have an airleak or your needle jet needs to be replaced.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //