//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 84 Tecate Woes

--
    Maybe the coil is getting hot and cutting out? Mine did that, and if you would let it cool some, you could ride for awhile.

Sure the motor isnt over heating? Lean? Timing? Low Octane fuel?
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4speed View Post
    Maybe the coil is getting hot and cutting out? Mine did that, and if you would let it cool some, you could ride for awhile.
    I was havng trouble with my machine acting the same recently. It turns out that nd4speed was spot on. My 2 year old Ricky Stator was crapping out. It was the source coil. I tested the issue with heat. Confirmed that was this was a direct factor. I received 3 different measurements on the source coil.

Cold: 184 ohms
    wam: 160 ohms
    hot:0 ohms.

I just rewound mine last night after receiving that. I'm going to do a full write up on it after bit. I took a hand full of pictures.

Here's a couple shots that more or less explain how it's done on the cheap. With 33g magnet wire, I was able to wind it to 160 ohms. More than enough with this stuff. 34g wire would probably be a better option. Should be able to hit 200 ohms no problem.

I pulled 35g off the stator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Internal wire.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	234071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand wrap.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	234072
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 08-16-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Wow, great job on this. Meanwhile, I'm so lame I haven't even gotten the gas tank back on to test ride after taking measurements!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Finally put it back together, started on the first kick, put it in gear and it went 10 feet and died. Wouldn't start again. I have visible spark, but it looks like it might be a little weak. So now I have no idea what to do. This doesn't follow the troubleshooting pattern I was expecting.

I suppose I should have taken measurements again, but I was so annoyed I rolled it back into the garage and slammed the door on the damned thing.
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    I would check the stator first as they are the most frequent part to go. When they heat up the resistance increases, making the problem intermittent. I had one that worked fine when kicking it over cold, but it would fail once it heated up.

--
    Frankencelery, send me your stator, I'll rewind it for free.
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Wow, that's a heck of a nice offer! I will send you a PM later.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

--
    Got back to the Tecate tonight. Been busy as heck, so I haven't had a chance to even glance in the Tecate's direction for a week! If you remember, the original plan was to run it until it failed and then take measurements. Then the very next time I started it up, it died and wouldn't start again. I had spark, but we weren't sure if it was good enough spark.

One shot of starting fluid into the UNI filter and it started right up. Ran great for the 10 minutes I was able to ride it. Started it 4 times this evening and it started on the first kick. Haven't gotten it to fail yet, but it's sure looking like a carb problem, probably the idle circuit. I had cleaned it when I put it back together, but....

--
    Quick update- I've ridden it twice since then, once a quick 5-minute ride, and then last night for a good half hour. No sign of the previous problems, not with starting or cutting out. How weird is that? I definitely had a spark problem when I started this thread...maybe taking everything apart to measure resistances fixed an intermittent connection. Then suddenly it vapor-locked (that's what I'm gonna call it anyway) and threw me off the trail. Once I hit it with starting fluid once, it's been starting on one kick ever since!

--
    Can you, in more detail, decribe the vapor lock?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //