//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Facebook really pisses me off.

--

Facebook really pisses me off.

Logged on to Fakebook today to see that my only niece gave birth to her daughter, I'm now a Great Uncle. Sure would have been nice to get a phone call. Hundreds of people knew before I did. Seeing pictures of people I've never met or heard of in my life holding her. I'm 100% sure that I was the 3rd person to hold my niece. Maybe I'm being sensitive, or selfish, but it takes less time to send a text or call than it does to make a facebook post. This is why it took me so long to join facebook, and why as soon as everyone I stay in touch with gets a message, I'm done with it for good.

Thanks 3ww for providing a space to share my disappointment.

--
    I understand completely. I've had several occasions and events in my life that should've warranted a phone call but was left to facebook. Any time your name doesn't pop up when they typed it, you are left out of it.

My stepmom was a teacher at the local jr high. She was found unconscious and stayed in a coma a week before they took her off the ventilator. Imagine getting on facebook in the waiting room and seeing some of her students (people nearer my age and friends with me on facebook) spreading among themselves that she died, saying RIP and I can't believe she's gone, before she even died. I know my dad saw that just as we all did I'm sure, as he was friends with a lot of her students and did projects and activities with them as well.

None of those people saying RIP, and sad to see her go, and talking about how they were going to miss her, never once called me or got in touch with my family or visited but were quick to get on facebook and spew ignorance.

A lot of her students did visit and call, and i don't know if they will ever know what a great impact they had and comfort they were to our family at the time. The facebookers, on the other hand, anger me to this day.

I feel you 100%.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Facebook had nothing to do with pissing you off. Having someone in your family use social media to show off their life is where the problem is and that is what pissed you off. Call up the person tell them your pissed then tell us how that goes. I left Facebook years ago and will not go back. I do not want people to find me. I have a phone for that. I do not like all of my family also and not nothing to do with them because they were never close to me...that why only a few people have my address.

She didn't tell you cuz she is not close with you and that's just how it is. Truth hurts, in this case it pissed you off.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    She didn't tell you cuz she is not close with you and that's just how it is.
    You couldn't be more wrong about this.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    I understand completely. I've had several occasions and events in my life that should've warranted a phone call but was left to facebook. Any time your name doesn't pop up when they typed it, you are left out of it.

My stepmom was a teacher at the local jr high. She was found unconscious and stayed in a coma a week before they took her off the ventilator. Imagine getting on facebook in the waiting room and seeing some of her students (people nearer my age and friends with me on facebook) spreading among themselves that she died, saying RIP and I can't believe she's gone, before she even died. I know my dad saw that just as we all did I'm sure, as he was friends with a lot of her students and did projects and activities with them as well.

None of those people saying RIP, and sad to see her go, and talking about how they were going to miss her, never once called me or got in touch with my family or visited but were quick to get on facebook and spew ignorance.

A lot of her students did visit and call, and i don't know if they will ever know what a great impact they had and comfort they were to our family at the time. The facebookers, on the other hand, anger me to this day.

I feel you 100%.
    Thank you. I'm very sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

My niece has ONE uncle. Her mom and myself are 10 months and 1 week apart. I am very close to her. Facebook IS the cause of this. It's changing how people think feel and act. It gives people false perceptions. The denial of this fact is just that, denial.

--
    For anyone that might be wondering, there actually is still a way to completely delete a facebook account, not just deactivate. Mine is now deleted.

--
    I have been comtemplating deleting my fb for sometime. It's so easy to open the app on your phone and see whats going on though, it's addicting sadly. I like the idea of being able to be in touch with people I normally wouldnt such as old classmates or friends that live far away etc. But allot of the bad outweigh the good such as all the political posts and fighting back and forth from friends, I just stay out of it. Also everyone likes to glamorize their life by posting look at me, look what I bought look what I have, Look how hot I am selfies with all the filters used. Give me attention type posts, feel sorry for me posts. I've also noticed from girlfriends and girls who are just friends that everyone uses facebook messenger to try to hook up, cheat whatever. Kind of makes me sick. For now I try to limit myself to only open facebook once a week or if I get a notifacation. I have a few friends who dont have FB and I think they are the smart ones!

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    its not facebooks fault that she decided not to call you before posting it on facebook, or contacting the other people there before you (whatever method she chose to do that with). sounds like you should be having this conversation with her if it really peaves u this much. i dont even have a mobile, let alone a facebook account. if something is important, the important people in my life know how to contact me.

--
    I still have mine but it is limited to those that i speak to on a pretty regular basis.

What happened to me really made me think twice about what i jump on board with on facebook. I may not realize who you hurt or how until its too late. I'm sure a lot of those people that commented meant well towards our family situation, and it only took 1 person with a bad attitude or wrong information(we still don't know which) to influence a large group of people in a negative way. And to think that the very kinds of things that have happened to us happen to a lot of people all over the world everyday, and we wonder why there is so much hate and anger in the world. It makes things that should be very special to people, not so special at all anymore, and even makes people dislike it when they shouldn't.

I caught myself with this the other day. I was scrolling to see yet another "Baby's first Birthday" picture, with the smeared cake and smiling baby ya know...

I found myself mad about having to look at yet another baby's first birthday picture. But in actuality that is something to celebrate! Why am i not happy for these people? Because it is about the 100th baby I've seen this month with cake on its face.

It devalues the good in life, and promotes anger and hostility, because its something different

A lot of things i should let go i end up angry over, because of facebook. Everything from "Baby's First Birthday" to the local guy that buys up loads and loads of ATCs and parts them out for outrageous prices.

Of course i could be pointing out more flaws in myself that in facebook.
    Just the way i see things from my side of the fence.

I'll let that be the end of my rant i tend to go a little off the rails sometimes...

I guess the question of the day is why do i still have it?
    Last edited by 83ATC185; 08-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseA420 View Post
    its not facebooks fault that she decided not to call you before posting it on facebook, or contacting the other people there before you
    I understand what you are saying Jesse and appreciate your input. At the same time, I know that if facebook didn't exist, I'd have gotten a call. So yes, the things that facebook does, affects personal communication. I have spoken with my niece about it but I'm not going to be aggressive and ruin her experience with her daughter. I brought the conversation here, where I know there are compassionate and like minded people, to vent without bringing any stress to her or any drama to facebook. As soon as I deleted my account, a true friend texted me and we have made plans to go see them this evening.

--
    Playing Devil's advocate, but I would think posting on Facebook is more effective and easier than sending a mass text message, or calling people individually. I think people are getting lazy when it comes to personal communication. I myself am guilty of this. Take this post in this thread to me talking to you. Could I send you a text message or call you regarding this info? Sure. But this is an easier way.

I'm not saying it is better at all - just more convenient. The world is changing, and as we age, we dismiss change more and more. Just saying. Congrats on the new family member BTW!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    It makes things that should be very special to people, not so special at all anymore, and even makes people dislike it when they shouldn't.
    This, x1000. Thank you again for your contribution here 83ATC185. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one that feels some things should be shared privately with important people before being broadcast to facebook. It really did hurt to be left out of the group that knew first, and it takes quite a bit to hurt me. I think what I'm trying to say is that the Facebook culture certainly played a part in this. I'm not angry with my niece, she had a lot on her mind, but my sister, my mom, my aunt, etc, they could have called. It's not ok to assume that everyone checks facebook all the time for important life events.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate, but I would think posting on Facebook is more effective and easier than sending a mass text message, or calling people individually. I think people are getting lazy when it comes to personal communication. I myself am guilty of this. Take this post in this thread to me talking to you. Could I send you a text message or call you regarding this info? Sure. But this is an easier way.

I'm not saying it is better at all - just more convenient. The world is changing, and as we age, we dismiss change more and more. Just saying. Congrats on the new family member BTW!
    Thanks Tim. I do see your point and value your opinion as well. Doesn't make it easier to digest the changes that are happening. Also, now that I'm completely deleted from facebook, what now? Because I choose to exclude myself from social media, should I expect to be excluded from everything in real life?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley250R View Post
    I have been comtemplating deleting my fb for sometime. It's so easy to open the app on your phone and see whats going on though, it's addicting sadly. I like the idea of being able to be in touch with people I normally wouldnt such as old classmates or friends that live far away etc. But allot of the bad outweigh the good such as all the political posts and fighting back and forth from friends, I just stay out of it. Also everyone likes to glamorize their life by posting look at me, look what I bought look what I have, Look how hot I am selfies with all the filters used. Give me attention type posts, feel sorry for me posts. I've also noticed from girlfriends and girls who are just friends that everyone uses facebook messenger to try to hook up, cheat whatever. Kind of makes me sick. For now I try to limit myself to only open facebook once a week or if I get a notifacation. I have a few friends who dont have FB and I think they are the smart ones!
    Absolutely, to all of this. Thanks for posting Hurley.

RamsesRibb is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Facebook really pisses me off.

Ha. I use Facebook all the time but not for anything personal. It's the easiest way to track all the scammers out there
    Previously known as HighFlying101 since 2003
    I changed my email and lost my password

Current: '85 Tri-Z , '83 250r , '86 Tecate, '80 ATC110
    Prior: '85 FTZ ATC350X, '85 Tri-Z, '85 ATC200X w/ Bassani exhaust, '83 Big Red, '81 ATC185S, '79 ATC110

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tpctrikes/

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //