//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 200x RESTO progress

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

84 200x RESTO progress

Its almost time for my old faithful 200X to breathe again. Just waiting on the crank / rod parts and rebuild to be done, finishing off of the little jobs and major reassembly..

Ive been slowly restoring it over the last few months, pottering along, and going right over it, giving it some long overdue attention.

Frame repaint, motor / G'box rebuild [bearings and washers], 66 wiseco piston, carby job, engine pipe resectioning to repair hole, muffler repack, tank paint, plastics restore, new electrics, 250 R front end, derlin swingarm bushes, she's almost new again!

Thinking of future 250 R rear shock transplant [cautiously] and frame reinforcement , no rush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84-200X-Gearbox-Before-_2598-V2.JPG   200x frame.JPG   200x-FenderRestore.JPG   200x-TankRespray-.JPG   200x-SeatRecovered-.JPG   84200xmuffler-Sml.JPG  

FrameRespray200X.JPG  
    n

--
    coming together now, still plenty to do
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84-200X-with250R-Forks-FrameFendersALL-.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	234117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84-200X-with250R-Forks-FrameALL-.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	234118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84-200X-with250R-Forks-.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	234119
    n

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Man that's pretty! I love the 250r paint job! I've toyed with the idea of doing that to my 200x and you might have convinced me! I'm assuming gold hubs and rims are in order as well?
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Slappa da bass?

--
    Maybe, though i dont like spraying alloys, but i might just do it yet,

some may consider this cross dressing a 200X ...sacraligious!! LOL
    n

--
    Resto is coming along, .....

So, I put the motor back together after a complete teardown, discovered that the LHS [RADIAL BALL (28X72X18) - 91001-KBR-003 ] crank bearing has about 3mm sideplay in it [with crank out of case]. I have a XL185 flywheel and coil set on the motor, the flywheel feels a touch heavier than the 200x original, I wonder if it is TOO heavy and overloading the crank bearing?? I know the RHS bearing [(63/28)] can be changed for the 8 ball upgrade [91008-KAE-731], but is there an updated bearing for the LHS of the 200X?.

ive rewired the alternator,manged to get the joins insulated with left over sheath from a 200X coil set. Be intersting to see if the coil for the lights works[See thread - http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-Unknown-Coils ]

The Derlin bushes are in the swingarm, I could not press the leftover [shattered on removing] outer cage of the needle bearings out, even a fairly tight fitting press spigot [0.5mm loose] wouddnt get them out, nearly jammed the spiggot in there. I had to drill the swinger, then smash the needle shell till it shattered, allowing removal, possibly not a Honda approved overhaul procedure, but it had to happen, i mig'd the holes and removed spatter, good as new, ....well, ....you know!

Cleaned tank using white vinegar, great result, 99% gunk free now

Loosened the reak shock preload, i had set it many years ago to max and then some, needed to back off about 1/2" to get it back in tolerance, hope the spring isnt permanantly shrunk, i havent taken it off to measure it without loading.
    n

--
    Hehehehe! ...seems the gods arent happy? Temperamental bunch
    Im finishing off the mancave repairs first, then more sacrafices will be offered to them LOLOL
    n

--
    Finally got around to doing some more on the X, its all coming together now.
    The 250R forks worked a treat, new stem bearings and new oil are in.
    Had to repair the RUN switch, the detent ball and spring were stuck, but good as new after a clean and grease [the bloody spring fell on the shed floor and i spent an hour trying to find the , its very small, but i eventually tracked it down lol].
    The Delrin Swingarm Bushings are in and i shortened the collar/locator on the LHS of the swingarm bolt about 3mm so it didnt rub on the derlin bushes.
    Rear axle is all tightened but the 2 o'ring on the RHS are missing and need to be replaced, thankfully they are still available and ive ordered new ones.
    Carby is cleaned and overhauled, i had an old 200ES carb that i used the float from [same as 200x float], just need to re-jet it once i get it going.
    Rear brake master cylinder is fixed, and the chinese rear brake caliper i purchased, bolted straight on, only negative is the park brake setup seems a little flimsy and doesnt quite sit right on the caliper, need to adjust that properly.
    The original front brake caliper is seized hard and seems to be cactus, but i have an old 250R caliper that im trying to repair, hopefully that will work.
    The alternator coils wires are replaced with new wires and test out ok, and im trying to locate an original 84 200X flywheel cover case which is a needle in a haystack over here in Australia [I am using a XL 185 cover/coils and flywheel currently, which works fine. I still have the original flywheel and coils from the 200X, but the cover broke years ago when the chain let go, and i no longer have the cover, just wanted an original if thats possible]
    New petcock in tank, all cables are new [clutch, throttle], CDI box, coil and plug lead replaced, I made new tank bolts on my lathe as they are not available anymore, seat recovered and plastic fenders are cleaned up and cracks repaired.
    Im about to repack the muffler and repair a small hole in the engine pipe [i have considered making a new engine pipe, but the 90 degree bend at the front of the pipe is very difficult to bend in one piece, or so the muffler shop guy tells me, ive considered making a two piece pipe and welding them together in the middle of the bend, still a WIP on that one, anyone else ever made a new pipe? ....any hints appreciated]

THE ENGINE:-
    Almost a complete rebuild, rebore and 66mm wiseco piston and rings,
    big end bearings and conrod kit, new valves, new XR200 cam and bushing, chain guides and tensioner, new lower cog, G'box rebuild [all bearings and washers replaced] existing gears and shafts were ok, new oil strainer and engine gasket kit. Might yet get new pulse generator and advance plate and springs, which are still available surprisingly, just for piece of mind.

Cant wait to get this thing running and get riding again, its been too long between drinks, cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5010.jpg   IMG_4999.jpg   IMG_5001.jpg   IMG_5002.jpg   IMG_5004.jpg  
    n

--
    Its up and running, Just needs a tune. Just a few minor touch ups and its done
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200x_1356.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	267794
    n

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //