//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 350X engine in an '85 250R frame?

--

350X engine in an '85 250R frame?

First off, this project is a few years down the line. So nobody get too excited! Also, I am sure there is a previous thread on this exact subject on here somewhere. But, I was on the phone with a friend the other day and after watching the 350X documentary on Youtube and decided that instead of building a 3rd 250R, I'd rather have a well suspended 4 stroke to cruise out in Occotillo Wells for my dirt loving friends that I tolerate. It probably won't see the dunes very often, as I have two 3rd gen Rs and a 500 conversion already. If anyone could point me in the direction of any previous threads or users that may have some answers, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks all!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

350X engine in an '85 250R frame?

Personal opinion, you'd be much better off re-suspending the X. Inverts in the front and I'm not sure what you'd do in the rear, but I don't see the benefits of the R frame out weighing the massive amounts of fabrication that's going to entail.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    x2...get your forks and rear shock revalved and set up for you. That's as easy as sending it off
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    First off, this project is a few years down the line. So nobody get too excited!
    Sounds like a plan.

--
    I have inverts and an Axis shock on mine.

It's amazing.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    It would take alot of fab work.Im putting a 200x motor in a 85 250r frame and I had to cut the engine cradle just to fit my mockup motor in.May have to cut it out completely.Doesnt Richard have a 350x with 250r swingarm and frontend or inverts on it.That would be the way to go.
    250r rules

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yup..... plus why would you cut up a good trike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160520_111221.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	234146
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    But in all seriousness you will run into issues with the frame being in the way of your intake, but I say go for it! You'll have to make goofy intake but mine works wonderfully. But at this point it seems like more of a pipe dream... (I've got plenty of those too)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...NEW-ride-video!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Personal opinion, you'd be much better off re-suspending the X. Inverts in the front and I'm not sure what you'd do in the rear, but I don't see the benefits of the R frame out weighing the massive amounts of fabrication that's going to entail.
    Well, the main idea for this build is that I already have the R frame and rear end. Would I be better off possibly trading the R frame for an X and starting from there? I know the R is not only thicker, but just more solid all around. I am definitely a fan of the no cutting and welding idea as I have no welding ability. If the R swinger fits, I would much rather go that route. Ideas?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    Well, the main idea for this build is that I already have the R frame and rear end. Would I be better off possibly trading the R frame for an X and starting from there? I know the R is not only thicker, but just more solid all around. I am definitely a fan of the no cutting and welding idea as I have no welding ability. If the R swinger fits, I would much rather go that route. Ideas?
    Well, I don't mean to be a debby downer but you're not going to do a motor swap without welding anything. .....

--
    R tank will hit motor.

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    sell the 250r swinger and frame, use the money to setup suspension on 350x properly.
    done.

--
    I'll buy the 250R swinger and and frame. See done deal.

--
    I wouldn't even try to put a 350X motor in an R frame.

If you go the 350X route, the invert fork auctions run about 250$ on EBAY. Rebuilt and shortened with new seals for 300$, Then you need to buy custom fork clamps ( IDK what these guys charge now but they are all very trustworthy people with great products from Jason Hall, Richard (KASEY) and or another member Louis Mielke).
    Also a 350X stem, fork guards, brake hose guide and an entire set of front brakes with the rotor, caliper, pads, master, bracket, line etc etc. And a rotor adapter for a 350X or 250R front hub.

The rear shock, can be changed to a 250R and valved better by Milner Brown (Onformula1). I'm sure he has other options as well.

I bought a custom AXIS with a 350X top mount and a 450R lower with hi and low speed compression and rebound damping and the "soft ride" system. I modified and used a 08 TRX450 aluminum swingarm which is about a plus 2.5" longer than stock 350X.

The bottom of the 350X frame needs a very stout mount for the linkage and lots of gusseting is required. You'll need all that linkage as well.

I have 4000$ in suspension alone.....

It's not an easy job. You need to duplicate how far back and down the linkage hole goes or the geometry is all wrong.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I didn't have time to reply earlier but I was going to recommend you ask Dirtcrasher what to do.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //