//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My old YT175

--

My old YT175

Sorting and reorganizing photos on my PC... Came across some good memories and lessons.

This project was put to the way side some years ago after the piston went ker-pow(made it 2 years on that bore!) and I acquired my first Tecate. I learned a lot in those years. The majority of these alterations are not for the faint of heart, but are definitely for the empty pocket book!

On the left is a YT175 piston. On the right is a blaster. The YT has a taller dome and a thicker skirt. As you can see, The ports in the piston got opened up even more. Originally, they are smaller than the blaster. Those matched the cylinder somewhat. I didn't have the correct piston rings. I had 1 size over the piston i was using. The rings got ground down and clearanced until it met the specs from the book. This is what i believe was the downfall. The cylinder is now egged and will need bored to get it round again. My guess is the rings had to much pressure and caused it to wear faster.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistons 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	234257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistons 3.jpg 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	234258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistons.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	234259

2nd port job. Looking at the pictures, so much left to be desired. I have the original cylinder somewhere. I should have taken pictures of the finished results. These really make it look bad. It was cleaned up so much more than this. The intake was still to restrictive for exhaust ports that big! Upping the compression helped mitigate this quite a bit. We did weld up a few parts just to get the holes bigger.

Name:	intake with boyesen after bore.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	234245 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triple exhust after bore.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	234246 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0165.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	234256

Force fitting blaster reeds with a nasty reed spacer. All covered in honda-bond. No leaks!

Name:	Reed cage back.jpg 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	234250 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side of blaster reeds.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	234254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reeds inside of each other.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	234252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rough intake of yt175.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	234253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaster reeds in yt175.jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	234249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reed spacer.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	234251 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake + blaster reeds.jpg 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	234244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak down tester in boot.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	234255

My arc welded pipe. It was the fastest ugly pipe i ever seen!!! lol

Name:	Photo05161539.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	234247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo05161538.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	234248

I couldn't find pictures of the cylinder head. After cutting what I think was ~ 50 thousands off, compression went from 95 psi to 145 psi. This made a huge jump in power. Then the piston went pow. lol
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    OMG!!! That Pipe! lol (you weld as good as I do i see! lol) Hey it looks like you learned alot on this venture anyways, that's what really counts!

--
    I have since invested into a new welder LOL

First i picked up the cheapy $100 mig from harbor freight. It does OK for a bill. It does that sheet metal 50 times better than that damne arc! lol

Last year, with the tax return, i invested into a true welder. No more of the amateur junk! My brothers friend (professional welder) like it so much, he bought him self one as well!

It does aluminum beautifully. I've heard complains about the torch being stiff (new to tigs) but an aftermarket one is available. https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-.../dp/B00REX6USW
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //