//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tecate 3 Leaking coolant out of the head after rebuild

--

Tecate 3 Leaking coolant out of the head after rebuild

So i just rebuilt the head with a new jug and cap. I torqued everything to spec. When i started the bike it started to rain coolant out of the head gasket. I torqued the head to 18ft/lbs. I noticed that 3 of the nuts on the stud only had the stud about halfway or so through the nut while the others had the stud all the way through the nut. Also when the bike was running it was blowing a lot of white smoke. I can use a suggestions or something i may have done wrong. The gasket is new btw.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Disassemble and inspect. It will be obvious.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    New head gasket?
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Smoke is white because your head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinder.

Some questions:
    1. What do the mating surfaces look like on the head and top deck of cylinder? Marred from a screwdriver?
    2. Have you put a square across the mating surface of the head to see if it's true?
    3. Are the cylinder studs all at the same height? Concerns me that some of the nuts aren't flush.

Pics always help.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Yea new head gasket. Could it be possible that the studs are no good?(streched out)

--
    The cylinder surface was clean. The cylinder cap was a little sticky almost like there was some sort of glue on it. There were no scratches that i could remember. Also ill check the height of the studs. That was the first thing i noticed when i put the head back on and the studs were all at different positions on the nut.

--
    You need to check surfaces for square as well to ensure he head isn't warped.

Did it leak before you took it apart?

--
    The head i had previous did leak. I bought a head off of ebay that was just replated. So im guessing that it shouldnt be warped. Also how do i check that it isnt warped?

--
    So the previous head leaked and now this one leaks? I would say something is up.

Check true by putting a carpenters square across the surface of the cylinder. And measure it in different spots around the cylinder. I prefer to do it bolt to bolt. Look at the bottom of the square. Is there a gap anywhere on the cylinder? Do the same to the head and check for gaps. Are you positive you don't have any gouges on the deck of the cylinder?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by niftylittleguy View Post
    So i just rebuilt the head with a new jug and cap.
    What exactly did you do to the head that constitutes a rebuild?
    It sucks to get old

--
    New base gasket, head gasket, piston and rings

--
    Ill take it apart tomorrow and see if i missed something

--
    To che for flatness, use a straight edge and lay it across the head. It should have even contact with the head or jug.

If the jug has been tapped or over torqued, it can warp the mating surfaces. If things are warped, take some glass or granite, tape some sand paper(wet dry) to it. Grab some dish soap with water and squirt it on the paper. Begin working the head or jug in a figure 8 motion to smooth down any high spots.

Depending on condition.

I'd stsrt at 320 grit and work my way to atleast 800.

The dish soap let's you rinse the paper clean and reuse it again and again and again. It also controls the dust from sanding.

This will take off a very small amount of metal, not enough to be concerned about.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    You could also not add coolant and heat the motor up enough to get the head gasket to melt and mate the surfaces. Also, some of your studs may be loose and turning.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    I took the head off and found that the studs are all at different heights. Im going to order new ones and replace them,

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //