//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x rear axle lock nut help for dummies please!

--

350x rear axle lock nut help for dummies please!

I have the manual and it's not specific enough for someone like myself. Can someone please explain to me in detail how this is supposed to tighten? My understanding is the inner nut threads to the rotor; the outer to snap ring? The manual then says tighten the inner to the outer....?!

Can someone post a pic of what this is supposed to look like when done correctly?

--
    The outer nut-smaller hex- tightens to the snap ring. The inner nut-larger hex- tightens to the outer nut as a lock nut.

--
    throw it away and buy a durablue posi lock.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    The outer nut-smaller hex- tightens to the snap ring. The inner nut-larger hex- tightens to the outer nut as a lock nut.
    So then everything will tighten towards the right rear wheel vs towards the brake rotor? Am I understanding you correctly?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by userj8670 View Post
    So then everything will tighten towards the right rear wheel vs towards the brake rotor? Am I understanding you correctly?
    I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

The internally expanding nut: When tightened, the threaded collar will be pushed up against the right side of the brake rotor, and the wide nut will be pushed up against the snap-ring collar (towards the right rear wheel). The skinny lock-nut is then tightened against the wider nut.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    throw it away and buy a durablue posi lock.
    Man you give the best advice!! You're always so helpful about how to solve problems! In fact, I think I'll use your logic and just throw my old trikes away and buy a new quad! Or maybe I'll just pay you a few thousand dollars and you can fix all of the problems on my trikes for me! thanks for the post
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

The internally expanding nut: When tightened, the threaded collar will be pushed up against the right side of the brake rotor, and the wide nut will be pushed up against the snap-ring collar (towards the right rear wheel). The skinny lock-nut is then tightened against the wider nut.
    Hey Jim,
    This is some TS150 on a cinnamon roll advice. Good to see you post red!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Good to see you post red!
    Thanks yaegerb. I'm still around, just not much to post about lately.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Hey Jim,
    This is some TS150 on a cinnamon roll advice. Good to see you post red!
    Lmao Brendon well said buddy! Don't forget them special super Trapp pix with the TS 220 magnums

Red- thank you for the advice but I hate to admit I still not quite sure I understand what internal expanding nut is? Is it not visible from the outside hence the internal? Attached is a pic of what I'm looking at. As you can see the nut my finger is pointing to I have snugged to the rotor. Given the instructions, if I now understand them, I tighten the other nut to the snap ring then the nut my finger points to against it?

Like I said though I'm still stuck on the internal expanding nut. I know this isn't rocket science and I am sorry for not 'getting it'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160824_222917.jpg  

--
    Given the instructions, if I now understand them, I tighten the other nut to the snap ring then the nut my finger points to against it?
    Yes, exactly! When you tighten the big wide nut, it pushes against the snap-ring collar, which pushes against the snap-ring, which pulls the axle to the right, and seats the sprocket hub against the left bearing inside the rear carrier. It also pushes the threaded collar to the left against the brake hub, which seats it against the right bearing inside the rear carrier. After the axle is all tightened down (with the big wide nut), the skinny lock-nut (the one your finger is pointing to) is tightened against it.

The expansion is readily visible. It is called an internally expanding nut because, it pushes outward as you tighten the nut on the threaded collar. When you tighten a regular nut, it squeezes together.

Honda used the internally expanding nut on the rear axle to eliminate the threads on the axle, that a regular nut would need. Threads on the axle are a source for cracks, especially in that area of the axle.

--
    Lmao Brendon well said buddy! Don't forget them special super Trapp pix with the TS 220 magnums

Red- thank you for the advice but I hate to admit I still not quite sure I understand what internal expanding nut is? Is it not visible from the outside hence the internal? Attached is a pic of what I'm looking at. As you can see the nut my finger is pointing to I have snugged to the rotor. Given the instructions, if I now understand them, I tighten the other nut to the snap ring then the nut my finger points to against it?

Like I said though I'm still stuck on the internal expanding nut. I know this isn't rocket science and I am sorry for not 'getting it'
    the thin nut needs to be loosened. I think it is reverse threads but my brain is fried so double check. you loosen that up. then you take the bigger one on the right and tighten it onto the threaded collar. this is the part that locks the axle in place. you unscrew it down to the other piece you just loosened and then you take a pick or small screw driver and take the snap ring off. once it is off, you should be able to slide the locking assembly off the axle then the rotor (once the caliper has been removed) . obviously you will need to remove the wheel and hub before trying to remove everything off the axle.

the outer nut you basically unscrew it to tight it against the lock ring to lock everything in place. tightening it towards the brake looses it. you expands (loosen it on the threads) to tighten and lick the axle assembly down.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    OK I got it!!! Thanks Red and Oscar for the helpful in depth replies and a last minute call to Brendon (yaegerb) to get me straight!

I have got this nuts loctite'd and snugged down tighter than a ticks @$s!
    Last edited by userj8670; 08-25-2016 at 10:53 PM.

--
    I guess I'll add a pic- thanks again for everyone's efforts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160825_215434.jpg  

--
    I'm glad you got it sorted out. Now that's how it's supposed to look.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //