//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1985 ATC 250ES Big Red: Lost Transmission???

killerklown is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

1985 ATC 250ES Big Red: Lost Transmission???

Hey guys,
    I Picked up a 85 Big Red 250 last night and here's the story I got with it:

He was in reverse backing up, he stopped and went into 1st gear, it started moving but felt like it popped out of gear. He tried again and the same thing happened. He tried secon gear, it moved a ways then popped out of gear, same with 3rd and 4th gear. He finally got 5th gear to grab and drove it home several miles.

Is this something that is worth fixing, or should I just find a new bottom end?

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    You have to take it apart to figure that out. Finding another bottom end is easier as far as replacement, but only you know how mechanically inclined you are, how much time you have, and how much money you have as well. Your trike, your time, your money. Your call.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I understand that, and I realize ANYTHING is fixable, I was just wondering if anyone experienced the same problem.

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    geez mate, thats like asking a doctor where the tumour is, in his opinion, no xray, no tests etc, you really do need to get in there to find out why it happening, could be the selector, a sheared spline, stripped gears, slipping clutch, could be alot of things, its hard to diagnose what you cant see. Even if someone else has had the issue, i lay money on it that 9/10 times it ended in case splitting of some sort, sorry , but its just da way it is with gearboxes. You might get lucky with the more experienced folk round here, they know a thing or two, .....clever lads thats for sure.
    Last edited by Leevvii; 08-26-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    n

--
    My vote is clutches :-D
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 08-26-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Edited because i said this -> My guess is clutches are gone. 5th gear will offer the least amount of resistance internally.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Rubbersalt that logic is completely arse backwards. If the clutches were gone it might move in the lower gears and that's it. Plus the clunking out of gear he described? Pay attention buoy, think about this shite.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I don't know what your talking about LOL.

Imma stick to what I know. Where is that damned soldering iron!

After further thinking, i was backwards as hell! I pulled the info as to not confuse people later on lol.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    My guess is busted spring or something to do with shifter drum
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    #21 pin... Tranny acts all sorts of weird when it breaks... Broke mine in the middle of plowing snow, thought the whole tranny puked out on me. Same thing, limped it home in high gear. New pin, good as new. Had it happen in my SX too

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/.../m1902#sch9401
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorpe View Post
    #21 pin... Tranny acts all sorts of weird when it breaks... Broke mine in the middle of plowing snow, thought the whole tranny puked out on me. Same thing, limped it home in high gear. New pin, good as new. Had it happen in my SX too

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/.../m1902#sch9401
    He's right. Happened to 5 different ES/SX ive had over the past few years. Easy cheap fix.
    1985 Honda 250r x2
    1986 Honda 250r
    1986 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 250sx x2
    1985 Honda 350x x2
    1986 Honda 350x
    1984 Honda 125m x4
    1983 Honda atc 70 w/ Lifan 125
    1984 Honda atc 70
    Yamaha tri zinger
    Yamaha 4 zinger
    Brap braaaap

http://www.youtube.com/user/3wheelsoffroad

--
    You guys are AWESOME....if this is true...lol

--
    That's 7 of them between Jason125m and myself... Pull the shifter side case and do a little investigating, and report back...
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    I may as well order that gasket right away... Is that considered the Stator cover gasket?

--
    Anyone have specs on the thrust washer from the gear shift lever?

--
    #21 pin was NOT broke but it was loose, and the washer was missing from the gear shift shaft. We'll see when my gasket gets here, supposedly Thursday.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //