//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 250r good spark no start problems.

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I personally always mixed rich even back in the 80's. I still run 32:1 even with today's better oil. I was surprised you guys mentioned straight gas because the very small amount in the tank when I got it looked clear...very possible no oil mix. I plan on new top end and go from there. I gave the guy $250 not running and guy thought it needed new top end. I actually hope it was just straight gas that caused this and not another problem so should be good after new top end. Thanks for all the help and opinions.

--
    I use Honda 2 stroke oil and it mixes clear with the gas. I hope to god he didn't do that because you will have more problems than just a top end. Have you checked up and down play on the crank yet?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    No up down play and just slight side to side. First thing I checked when top came off. Shifts smooth also. I really didn't want to tear into the bottom.

--
    I thought the crank bearing was lubed from the bottom? Even the wrist pin and bearing seemed good.

--
    That's good on up and down. Have you checked side to side with a feeler gauge and compared to tolerances in the manual?

Crank bearings are lubed from the oil mixed with the gas.

Get a new wrist pin and small end bearing with your piston. It's cheap insurance.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    And if you decide to just do the top end without replacing crank seals and bearings, (bearings do wear over time and sloppy bearings will lead to leaking seals) I would strongly urge a leak down test before running it. Even if you do end up deciding to replace crank bearings and seals, it's good practice to conduct a leak down test to make sure everything went together right and seals properly.

A leak down test will let you know if there is any air leak at the intake, cylinder base, and crank seals. If there is a leak it will suck air and you will be pulling the top end again
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Ok will do. Thanks

--
    Got it up and running and now it fires up first or second kick. Went easy the first 4 short rides following the recommended break in....first ride less than half throttle but varying for 10 minutes then cool for an hour. Another 10 minute no more of Han half throttle and cool for an hour. Actually sat overnight got too late to run it. Next ride was 10 minutes no more than 3/4 throttle and cool. Then up to full throttle but still going kinda easy for the first couple tanks. A few things I noticed are it seemed to run hot the first 2 rides and I was disappointed in the power even though I could only go half throttle it was really lacking compared to my 85. I was going to get on here and complain about the gutless power. I decided to wait till I could open it up and see. It really seemed like by ride 4 the power had increased, and I don't mean because I could give more throttle but even the half throttle felt stronger and idle picked up. I am still considering going down a few teeth on the rear sprocket since I find myself trying to up shift when it is already in 5th. That 6th gear they put in the gen 3's is really nice.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //