//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 350x maiden voyage-pic attatched- need clutch help

--

350x maiden voyage-pic attatched- need clutch help

Took my 350x out on it maiden voyage and turns out my engine needs a clutch. Are the Honda ones still available? Any special tools needed to do a clutch? (never done one ) tips of tricks?

Thanks! !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160827_130939.jpg  
    Last edited by userj8670; 08-27-2016 at 05:40 PM.

--
    Needs a clutch? I thought there was a new one in there? What happened?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Was gonna do one but figured I'd roll the dice....I lost lol

--
    It's more difficult to type out the process than it is to do the job. Get yourself a service manual download here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Read up and get er' done!

As for clutch kits, myself I would probably do the whole shebang being as you have no idea how old all of the components are (steel plates, fiber discs, and springs). Also, if your pressure plate and basket surfaces are well worn as 30 year old parts could very well be, that's all the more reason to replace all of the clutch wear components this time around. Once the pressure plate and/or basket are worn to the point that the clutch still slips even with fresh plates, discs, and springs, the only fix is new/better condition pressure plate and basket.

You should be able to source the clutch parts at places like Rocky Mountain ATV, Dennis Kirk, etc...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    What is it acting like Jim? Why do you think you need a new one?

--
    Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know if I need any special tools or if it can be done with with a standard tools. How long does it take?

Brendon- the clutch is very sensitive. When the lever is at is full release position, I only have to pull /move it the thickness of a human hair if not less and that's the difference between engaged / disengaged. Additionally when I am at a stand still and go to take off, the clutch does make a noise when u go to take off no matter how gently I release it. It's not slipping in the lower gears but in the higher gears it will if I grab a lot of throttle. I have adjusted the cables to the best of my ability with no real improvement.
    Last edited by userj8670; 08-28-2016 at 01:04 AM.

--
    For what ever it's worth to, on my ride today I noticed that (well into the ride) I was unable to get the bike into neutral. I would just go from 1st to 2nd no matter how much I tried to get it into neutral when we would stop.

One other observation to is that (towards the end of the ride) the kicker became extremely difficult to operate upon restarts. Very stiff/tight. Is this common?

--
    The stiff kicker has probably got to to with incorrect adjustment on the decompression cable. I'd say that when all the top end gets hot, components expand and throw the adjustment out. There is a fine line between them being adjusted incorrectly and correctly I have found. Refer to the manual and it will tell you how to adjust it to spec.

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Sounds like the clutch basket fingers may be grooved and in need of cleaning up
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Sounds like the clutch basket fingers may be grooved and in need of cleaning up
    X2.....take the clutch off and pull the plates and and take us a shot of the basket fingers.

--
    Gimme a day or two. ..

--
    I hope to tear into the clutch tonight. Never done this before so I will be posting questions I'm sure.

--
    Didn't get as far as I wanted due to time but I made a good start. The instructions say to 'unstake' the 27mm nut...I assume that means bend the crushed in part out?

The seals and bearings all look good but if there's anything I should replace while I'm in there please chime in!

P.s. I did clean the screen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160829_221556.jpg  

--
    Yep, bend the tang back on the lock washer and its 10 times easier just to zip that nut of with an impact.

Mackus84 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    X2.....take the clutch off and pull the plates and and take us a shot of the basket fingers.
    Agreed. X3... i was having clutch issues and didnt even think about the basket being grooved/worn. Mr YaegerB pointed me in the right direction and sure enough, the basket was grooved bad. Filed them carefully to smooth them out. Bada bing, bada boom
    1985 Honda 200X
    1979 ATC 110
    1985 ATC 110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //