//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big Red winch mount..anyone done it?

--

Big Red winch mount..anyone done it?

Im going moose hunting with my honda 250es. I have this 2000lb superwinch and wondering if the batt. of the Big Red will die using the winch to pull a moose or get unstuck. thanks in advance

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    A moose weighs 5 times what the trike weighs. It would work if you chain your big red to a tree. I think it would pull fine short distance but run battery down quickly and it has a slow trickle charge. Would work fine to roll moose over when quartering it up. Wish I had a tag!

--
    I have one on my 250es. It's great. Just use it when trike is running and let the battery charge up a while after using it for long periods of time. I recommend using dyneema rope not cable. Takes less power to reel her in and nicer on the hands.
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Yep, did it years ago... Drug my buddy's can am outlander out of the ditch once, but had to strap the BR to a tree to do it. The super winch 2000 lb winch is better than nothing, but it's incredibly slow... I plated and gusseted the factory front rack, and it was solid. Hung the trike in the tree in my back yard with it.
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    That dyneema is something else. Smaller and stronger than the steel cable. Weighs less, more flexible. And it can be spliced on the spot with nothing more than a sharp knife or something to cut it with!

I was playing with some recently, friend bough some for their whole back packing set up. He got rid of the retching straps and roles of nylon straps. They use it for their suspended tent (hangs from the trees). Freaking awesome stuff!
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    I have found the factory rack to be strong as anything without gusseting etc. I dare say it would be nice to have it all strengthened though. Have had mine hanging from a tree also, great to get under there and clean it properly! yeah that dyneema is actually amazing stuff. Been meaning to put some on my warn winch on my ute also.
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    I will tell you that ive dragged plenty of moose and elk out of the bush (forest in Saskatchewan) with my 200m over the years. If tied properly the front of the machine rarely lifts. I will probably, depending on where the moose falls, quarter the animal but would be great to winch the animal up off of ground for easier cleaning. Most will understand after that 50 age.

think im going to make my winch plate removable so i can shove it into my truck receiver as well. May make the winch fasten to the ball on back of BRed..lower the better

I bet the price of dyneema is up there...im going to check..my friend has it on his boat.

--
    Dyneema is good stuff, I ran it on my BR and my currently have it on my CanAm. It's better than cable for the simple fact that you never get the rouge wires to stab in your hands, but it's not as tough as they claim (imo) I ran the short lines on my winches with the aluminum hawse for plowing, and it didn't last any longer than steel cable. For the plow, a boat winch strap lasts the best. But for summer time mud recovery, you will find it on my setup. This was my winch setup on my BR...
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachm...1&d=1326593340
    Last edited by Thorpe; 08-30-2016 at 12:53 AM.

--
    coolio thorpe...where did you find that platform to mount the winch on? Sweeeeet

--
    I also had a winch mounted on my BR 200es. I used a steel plate to mount my winch onto which was then mounted onto the front rack. Rock solid. Used it a few times to winch out some other trikes from muddy situations. As mentioned, definitely need to brace up against a tree or something.
    You can also look into a winch mount that plugs into a 1 1/4" hitch receiver. I've seen a few guys who welded a hitch receiver on back in place of the ball. Then with the mount, bolt the winch onto that and you're ready.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    85' Honda Big Red
    09' Yamaha YZ 250F
    2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
    2015 Polaris RZR 570 LE/Trail Edition
    2017 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    I agree with some of the above. Let your big red run while running the winch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

--
    Quote Originally Posted by roonie View Post
    coolio thorpe...where did you find that platform to mount the winch on? Sweeeeet
    I built it... Started as a roached out rack, straightened the tubes, and moved the side arms as far forward as possible. Then bent the top plate to fit, and side gussets, and corner welded it in... Few inch long welds on the bottom to tie the center tubes in, and some spray bed liner.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //