//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda 250sx Won't Start After being fully submerged in Water

--

Honda 250sx Won't Start After being fully submerged in Water

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine went to the local ATV park here and rolled his Honda 250sx into a 5' hole of water. He said the bike was still running when it rolled into the water, but shut off soon after. The bike sat in the water for about 30 mins before he was able to get someone to pull it out of the water. After getting it out of the water and checking the cosmetic damage to it, he checked the oil and there was water in the oil.

After taking the bike home and washing it off, he checked the air box and it was completely dry. He also checked the top of the carb and said there was no moisture there as well. He did not check the jets in the carb, but drained the gas after getting it out of the water. He then drained/replaced all fluids (motor oil, gas and diff oil) and checked the spark plug, which was dry. He then tried to start it using the electric start and nothing happened. However, the headlight will turn on and the high/low beam works. He tried kick starting it, but the engine wouldn't start either. He said it seemed to turn over as normal when attempting to kick start it.

Now for my question. I realize there could be any number of issues after being submerged in water, but based on everything I described above, what would you all recommend to be some things to check first? I have a spare CDI box we're gonna try tomorrow and I'll also clean the carb. However, what are some other things that might be the issue based on this scenario?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    check for spark, basics are fuel, air, and spark to run.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gewash76 View Post
    He then tried to start it using the electric start and nothing happened.
    Can you clarify this? Do you mean that the engine won't even crank over using the electric starter, or does the engine spin but doesn't seem to fire? This will help steer the troubleshooting in the right direction.

Is the electrical system of the machine basically original and stock, or has it been modified previously? The only reason I ask is that sometime wiring mods aren't real robust and the rollover and water may have messed up the wiring changes.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Check compression along with the other basics. Even though the plug was clean. Hydro lock is always possible.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Sorry for the delayed response. When he pushes the electric start, the engine does not turn over at all. The starter doesn't make a clicking noise of any kind and even the headlight doesn't dim a little like I've seen it do. The 3-wheeler has all original wiring with no mods.

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Definitely sounds electrical to me.... check for spark. Cuz I'm no expert (just an electrician.......) but it sounds electrical.....
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Check the soldering on the back of the key switch, I have seen a few where the wire breaks away.

--
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the ignition soldering and my friend is getting a new spark plug coil. He also found an old starter that he had so we'll try that as well if necessary.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //