//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 200x flywheel bolt

RUNMEDOWN is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by muthey View Post
    you use honda bond on the valve cover, there is no gasket for it they are mated surfaces.
    I make gaskets for the valve cover b/c I always seem to need to pull it off multiple times during a reassembly. I just cut it from gasket sheets. I don't think that should be an issue since I adjust the valves after the gasket is in. At the most it would slightly change the angle of the contact patch for the lifter. Any input that I should not be doing this?
    85 ATC110 - The Greatest ATC of all time - (My First - new in 85)
    83 FL250 - Odyssey w/420cc - SOLD
    82 185s -10.25:1 piston, Full 200x upper, Goki Electric start - SOLD
    84 200x - Auto-X - Weisco Hi-comp, Cam'd, Bassani'd, Westcoast swinger, -SOLD
    82 200E Big Red -SOLD
    85 ATC250ES Big Red - Snow Plow !

--
    If were talking about the cylinder head cover, I'd be worried about the cam shaft support. The cam journals are formed 1/2 in the cylinder head, and 1/2 in the cylinder head cover. By putting a gasket in there, it is changing the tolerances (much looser) on the camshaft bearing surfaces. I don't think that the service manual recommended liquid sealant (Hondabond) provides much of a thickness once everything is torqued. I think that an actual gasket would end of being much thicker than the Hondabond would be.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNMEDOWN View Post
    I make gaskets for the valve cover b/c I always seem to need to pull it off multiple times during a reassembly. I just cut it from gasket sheets. I don't think that should be an issue since I adjust the valves after the gasket is in. At the most it would slightly change the angle of the contact patch for the lifter. Any input that I should not be doing this?
    200x heads are not designed for a gasket specifically for the reason that wonderboy stated. The tolerances to hold the cam are very specific. I wouldn't be running a gasket.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

averysdad is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I had to use ultra gray permatex cam was tight going in. The little 200x runs good pulls pretty hard and snappy I have never been on one that wasn't wore out and smoking lol. The valves seem to be making a lot of noise at higher rpm probably normal. I adjusted them by feel the first time they seemed kinda loud so I adjusted them with a feeler gauge and now they are louder lol . Lots of oil on the springs and all so it's getting oil .Going to get a 3mm bolt so I can pull up on the cam chain tensioner see if that helps.

--
    did you adjust the timing chain per manual? did you build it and tighten everything per manual specs? if not that could be part of the issue.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //