//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 200 Big Red Neutral Switch Replacement

killerklown is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

1984 200 Big Red Neutral Switch Replacement

So I think my neutral sensor is bad. Green light does not light up with key, but it will if I unplug the connection and ground the upper end of connector.
    I already have the left side cover off to replace the starter clutch, what else needs to come off to get at the sensor? I assume I have to remove the H-L-R sifter and then the next case cover, is that all, or do gears and other internals need to come out? Just trying to decide how deep I wanna go as opposed to just grounding that wire permanently. I know that will allow me to start it in any gear, which would be fine, but I do kinda like things done right.
    let me know, thanks

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ok, eight days and not a single reply and 99.9% of the people here have Hondas. . If you didn't get frustrated and sign up for another site to get your answer, perhaps the following will help.

I have absolutely no friggen idea how to change the switch, HOWEVER, I do know how to use Google (which can actually be a bit of an art in itself) and I know the links to the original service manuals which are below . Since I don't spend any time on social threads because I prefer to do other things instead, I had some time to research this for you and below is part of what I found and hope it is helpful to you . Check out the posts in the link.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-Switch-faulty

POST FROM 3WW MEMBER KBONLY

The worst part is nobody seems to have these new anymore. So you have to take a chance on installing a used one that might not last very long after a real pain to install it! You will need all the gaskets for the left side, better to just by a bottom end gasket set to get them all. You have to pull the recoil, the recoil pulley, the left cover, then the electric starter and all its reduction gears, the flywheel and starter clutch assembly, and then unbolt and remove the left side spacer that all thats housed in, that gets you down to the left side of the crankcase.

The neutral switch is down inbetween the subtrans and the left cover, it pushes into the case with an o-ring on it to seal it, you do need to drain the oil cause your going to tear the whole left side off the motor. The left spacer actually holds the neutral switch into the case so it has to be removed to get to it.

Its quite the job, the last one i did took a couple hours. I have all the tools to do it and spent time scraping all the gaskets down and repainted the spacer and cover before reassembly, so it can be done a bit quicker but still expect some time to work on it! Like i said, your tearing down the whole left side of the motor to get to the case and the switch. What a pain!!

OWNERS AND SERVICE MANUAL PDF's

http://www.atcmanuals.info/

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them and at least I will try to answer them for you.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

killerklown is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Thank you for replying. If I had found that info sooner, I would have aborted the operation....lol

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //