//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro

--
    Uh oh, I recommended using a Honda part on one of Barn's Kawasaki's and he caught it. Sorry Joe! Btw, several guys have been using bored Tecate triples with KX100 USD forks and have had zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Uh oh, I recommended using a Honda part on one of Barn's Kawasaki's and he caught it. Sorry Joe! Btw, several guys have been using bored Tecate triples with KX100 USD forks and have had zero issues.
    XLNT!, then this is further testament to the exceptional quality of the parts and engineering that went into every "TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!".

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Thanks for the info Barnett. The engine will be going good to Jason Hall if he'll have it, he's a my builder of choice for anything. It will be a race gas motor and I'll take his advice on however he wants to port it. Heven usually focuses on performance through the the entire powerband, which seems to be the strent the of these motors, so I assuses rats how he'll do it. I was thinking of putting a 38 on it but after thinking about it, I agree that it will be too much. It had a 34 mikuni (I believe) on it, I'd like to go a little bigger though. As for the forks I have a couple extra sets laying around. The forks on my 500 have spacers under the caps and run 40wt. oil and work very well. I haven't mxed with those forks but they handled pine lake and a couple other things tracks with ease. I'll probably run that setup for tt and maybe get another set for mx, but I don't know if I'll really want to race this mx. BKM is right though, I raced Unadilla on a set of kx100 inverts and had no problems, I wouldn't think twice about doing it again
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for building such strong triples so they can be upgraded with superior Honda parts.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by efhondakid View Post
    The KDX 200/220 motors are pretty bulletproof. I had one as my woods weapon years ago, ran a pro circuit pipe and silencer combo along with the dual stage boyesens a twin air filter and the proper carb work, thing was a screamer for sure.
    I've been reading on these motors and it seems like the boyesen and vf reeds make a huge difference. Did you ride it with stock reeds and then swap? I'm sure I'll upgrade the reeds, just not sure which way I'll go
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    I've been reading on these motors and it seems like the boyesen and vf reeds make a huge difference.
    No, again, they do no make a "huge" difference . If you expect a huge increase in power from them you will be greatly disappointed I guarantee you . Any posts you have read to the contrary are grossly exaggerated by people that ether also changed something else at the same time thereby nullifying any ability to assess the change the reeds themselves made and/or they are merely experiencing the placebo effect where they think it's a lot better because the ads say it will be and they just spent a wad of cash on it so they expect it be better.

I won the last Pro ATC race at Saddleback as a part time racer beating Jimmy White and the Honda team with all their ultra fancy parts and around 30 other riders with our old R & D test bike with a basically stock chassis and stock suspension and stock rear axle and stock reeds and plain old 38mm Mikuni . The top end and exhaust pipe was done by Harry Klemm.

The main thing anyone can do to improve their finishes is learn how to ride better.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for building such strong triples so they can be upgraded with superior Honda parts.
    You are very welcome, however, if the Honda parts are that superior to the Kawi parts, I wonder why Kawasaki won the 1986 series with their STOCK front forks AND the Loretta Lynn National where it seemed that poor Marty Harts bike wouldn't even start for the race so he required a little "assistance".

--
    Again Joe, sorry!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Thanks for the info Barnett. The engine will be going good to Jason Hall if he'll have it, he's a my builder of choice for anything. It will be a race gas motor and I'll take his advice on however he wants to port it. Heven usually focuses on performance through the the entire powerband, which seems to be the strent the of these motors, so I assuses rats how he'll do it. I was thinking of putting a 38 on it but after thinking about it, I agree that it will be too much. It had a 34 mikuni (I believe) on it, I'd like to go a little bigger though. As for the forks I have a couple extra sets laying around. The forks on my 500 have spacers under the caps and run 40wt. oil and work very well. I haven't mxed with those forks but they handled pine lake and a couple other things tracks with ease. I'll probably run that setup for tt and maybe get another set for mx, but I don't know if I'll really want to race this mx. BKM is right though, I raced Unadilla on a set of kx100 inverts and had no problems, I wouldn't think twice about doing it again
    No prob, you are very welcome . Jason Hall is also very good, but I can tell you from first hand experience with racing 3 wheelers and with these 200 cc engines, that you want rpm, not bottom end, and they then become a handful to ride much like a 125 is . I also raced 125 Moto Cross and actually hated it big time . You really do not want a a KDX200 engine that has any bottom end if you want to be competitive in the 200 class unless all the riders are extremely slow, however, the difficulty with a pipey 200 in a 3 wheeler is that they are difficult to keep on the pipe which is why I suggested just riding it in stock form or nearly stock form first to determine what you really want the engine to do . You can always port a cylinder but it's kinda hard to unport one.

As far as "better" forks than the 86 Tecate ones, sure there are, and Honda obviously makes a lot of very good bikes and parts and I have had way more Hondas than Kawi's, but keep in mind that all bikes are designed so all the parts work well together, and if the offset of any fork you use is much different than the Tecate ones, it will change the way it steers etc so you may be simply trading improved suspension for poorer steering to some degree if you use different forks . It's all good and well for a recreational rider to say this fork or that fork is an "upgrade", but unless they are an experienced closed course racer where their are actually turns one has to make, their opinion is not relevant in that area.

I can also tell you that I did a LOT of testing with the 86 prototype bike on extremely rough tracks and these tracks were far rougher than any track on the National 3 wheeler circuit and they never bottomed out excessively hard, nor were they what I would consider harsh . Sure I would have preferred the entire suspension gave a plush 1959 Cadillac Biarritz type ride, but my point is that they were plenty god enough for myself and the top racers in the country pretty much just the way were.

--
    You might also send Keith Salyer a pm and ask him for his opinion . He raced a 200 cc Tecate back in 85.

--
    Grandpa, tell me bout the good ole days!

--
    Joe, you'll have to excuse Barn. He gets his dander up when anyone suggest that there are possible upgrades from the factory Tecate parts. He takes it personally, because, I don't know if you know this, but he helped design them. And since there have been no advancements in the last 30 years, well there are no alternatives to the original equipment. Barn, unfortunately, it's not 1986 anymore. BTW, the 43mm Showa's are regarded as one of the best conventional forks ever made, even if you didn't help design them.

--
    . BTW, the 43mm Showa's are regarded as one of the best conventional forks ever made, even if you didn't help design them.

But as he explained, they aren't designed with the tecate frame or front end dimensions in mind. They're also too tall for this application.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    But as he explained, they aren't designed with the tecate frame or front end dimensions in mind. They're also too tall for this application.
    That's funny, I mentioned them before Our Lord and Savior graced us with his presence again, and you didn't seem concerned with me mentioning putting them on a Tecate, because everyone knows if you did, you would have made it loud and clear.

You are always preaching thinking outside the box in the name of Hot Rodding. What gives?

You know they can be internally modified to work just fine on any bike no matter the length, you know the internals are far superior to the old damper rod fork, and you know if set up properly these forks don't know what frame they happen to be on.

Welcome back Barn!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //