//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Just curious, have you personally ever tried a reed spacer on a kdx200?

I have done back to back reed spacer tests on several different bikes, and in my experience, they typically simply "soften" the power band so the power delivery is more "smoother", which in fact means that in the cases where a spacer softens the power band, it has actually reduced the amount of power the engine has . unfortunately, reed spacers are not a universal upgrade for every bike . since i actually did development testing for a major mfg and had friends at ktm, honda, and yamaha whom worked in their r ad d departments, i know for a fact that ALL the mfgs do an enormous amount of engine testing before they release a product and put out the combo that they think is best for their particular app . they are all also very familiar with reed spacers since that idea had been around since at least 1977, and since it would only cost these mfg's a few pennies per unit to make this particular part, im pretty sure that if it gave their engines some type of advantage, they would have put one on them . i can guarantee you for a fact that if they gave a tecate an advantage, i would suggested to kawi that they put them on the production bikes which i did not.

Also, nobody i know on the national circuit used one . this is not to imply that nobody used one but i didnt see any out there and there certainly weren't any on jimmy's or chris's or donnie's or jackie's 3 wheelers and there wasn't one one on jeff wards bike or any of the other mx guys bikes and all these guys are looking for every advantage they can get and they all seemed to have won plenty f races and championships without one.

Jeff Fredette is also one of the winningest isde type racers in history and he won most of his races on a kdx and he has a business modifying kdxs and selling parts for them, and nowhere on his site does he list a reed spacer for a kdx or even mention one . if someone wants to get his opinion on this subject, they can simply contact him at the link i previously posted and ask him . it will only cost a quarter which certainly seems like a worthwhile investment to me.

Here it is again for anyone whom missed it and is interested.

Phone 708-946-0999

Site http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm

With all this being said, im all for trying different things and wouldnt tell anyone not to . Even if the spacer does reduce the power in his particular build, he may still prefer the type of power the engine has with it, and they are certainly cheap enough and easy enough to install.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    oops, sorry, my question was for oldskool . gettin so old and decrepid now that i cant even remember exactly how many races i won.

--
    I've had reed spacers on a few 2 strokes and it smooths them out down low better.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Sounds interesting, yet another new career eh?.
    Well since 86t3 said he doesn't mind the banter, yes, and it is rather interesting. Some people never stop learning, and have a desire to acquire and hone skills that may not otherwise be learned if not through change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0921161003a.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Barnett, watch thsome video. Jacob Hall's 33 trike is a 250r with a bone stock kdx200, the guy with the camera is Dwight Jeckel on a selvy 200r. The kdx definitely holds its own.

My cylinder needs plating so I'm just going to have it ported first, I don't want to go back and do it again. I won't have a blue frame, probably silver or maybe I'll go with this white again. Not really sure. This won't be a good looking build like my 500 was, I doubt I'll paint much more than the frame. It's a racer so it should look that way
    Thanks for the video, it was fun to watch, however, I seriously doubt that his cylinder is box stock . I would think that Jason at least cleaned up the casting flaws in the ports which in itself will increase power a little, irregardless, as I mentioned, my comment about them needing to have rpm to be competitive was related to the higher skilled classes like intermediate and pro.

Below is a video of many top pros in a 200 cc National race which of course was won by a "TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!", and I guarantee you with 110% certainty that a stock or even mildy modified KDX engine will be humiliated by any of the others in this race . This also shows how highly competitive this class is at the higher levels, and that similar to a 125, these guys are either wide open or off the throttle for the turn . There simply is no 1/2 throttle racing or "torquing" out of the turn in this video which means that there is no need for decent bottom end or even lower mid range power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM5lppypbs

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Joe will you be racing this trike in the 200 2 stroke/350 four stroke class. How is your 450 holding up. I saw a couple of Raffas vids of you guys racing at Breezewood.
    250r rules

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I've had reed spacers on a few 2 strokes and it smooths them out down low better.
    Thanks for the reply, that is generally my experience also, and I do know there are some apps they are good for, but in my experience, those are few and far between.

--
    That kdx motor is untouched Barnett. Jacob bought a piston and top end gaskets but they did the have time to do it. It even has a practically ripped carb boot.

Atc300r- yes, I want to race this in that class. Those built 200x's are incredible fast and there are a lot of good riders on them and 350xs. And 250f conversions and 200 2 strikes, lol. It's a fast class and it looked like a blast. The 450 is holding up great, I wish I could quit recking on it. I hit a mud puddle at smith road and took a nasty spill. Destroyed my grab bar but nothing else was ruined. It's built incredibly well
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    That kdx motor is untouched Barnett. Jacob bought a piston and top end gaskets but they did the have time to do it. It even has a practically ripped carb boot.

Atc300r- yes, I want to race this in that class. Those built 200x's are incredible fast and there are a lot of good riders on them and 350xs. And 250f conversions and 200 2 strikes, lol. It's a fast class and it looked like a blast. The 450 is holding up great, I wish I could quit recking on it. I hit a mud puddle at smith road and took a nasty spill. Destroyed my grab bar but nothing else was ruined. It's built incredibly well
    When I raced my 200r at
    Geneva I finished towards the back.Rich Lilly flys on his 200x and Fred smokes everyone Zack Morrell ,Matt Kemp and Justin Putman are fast.Sean and Dave Ridgway also fast.
    250r rules

--
    xlnt!

What did he use for a pipe?

The right pipe will increase the max rpm a little, and even just getting rid of the stock silencer they need to be mfg'd with will help.

I'm not suggesting that it needs to rev to 50,000 rpm like an old 125 Elsinore to be competitive in the higher level classes these days since they're aren't any Stevie Wright's or Jimmy Whites racing, I'm just saying that if you get at least around 500 rpm or a little more out of a stocker and get the compression up to around 195, and run the 607 reeds and an old school $100.00 VM36 Mikuni, and gear it right, it's going to be enough or close it for the more advanced classes, and that all this air striker and tripple V and XYZ force reeds and other expensive fancy stuff ain't gonna help you much, if any more at all, so it's basically unnecessary to buy this type of stuff, especially for a budget racer, and especially since a good pipe will set you back a fair amount of coin by itself.

I'm basically just trying to suggest things that I know from my own experience of having been there and done that for many years, will give you the most bang for the buck . You can obviously decide for yourself if you want to spend the additional cash on the glitter items.

I can also tell you that you should try advancing the timing just a little after you have everything done and do a few back to back tests . This is an area that many people don't consider that can definitely make anywhere from just a small difference to a fairly noticeable one, but always pay careful attention to detonation/pinging and spark plug color so as to not damage your engine.

Another thing I suggest if you run that much compression is going to a 1 step colder spark plug.

Also, a cool item to have and test with is a temperature gauge and they are fairly cheap . The one below is only $40.00 and they are easy to install.

I also like to run around 1/3rd coolant and some coolant additive like water wetter but a different brand and the rest distilled water and a slightly higher pressure cap . This will improve cooling slightly and prevent water from coming out of the cap . Leave around 1/2 inch of air space between the coolant and rad cap seating surface.

RamsesRibb is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Our father who have hath been banned, Barnett be your name. Your three wheeler come it shall be done on Earth as it was at Kawasaki. Give us our daily bullsh*t and forgive us for using aftermarket staters as we forgive those who ride Hondas and lead us not to use pump gas, but deliver us only NOS Kawasaki parts.
    That is pretty funny.
    Previously known as HighFlying101 since 2003
    I changed my email and lost my password

Current: '85 Tri-Z , '83 250r , '86 Tecate, '80 ATC110
    Prior: '85 FTZ ATC350X, '85 Tri-Z, '85 ATC200X w/ Bassani exhaust, '83 Big Red, '81 ATC185S, '79 ATC110

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tpctrikes/

--
    See if Jason can make it run on honey alone. I'm loving the name - it better have some sweet decals on it too! Will you be racing it with a cape, or no?
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    See if Jason can make it run on honey alone. I'm loving the name - it better have some sweet decals on it too! Will you be racing it with a cape, or no?
    Crazy70man's bud light 250r last winter really made me want to do a bud lime Tecate. I was kinda thinking of doing this one, but maybe I should do some GB strickers. Can you race with an old rain jacket as a cape?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Crazy70man's bud light 250r last winter really made me want to do a bud lime Tecate. I was kinda thinking of doing this one, but maybe I should do some GB strickers. Can you race with an old rain jacket as a cape?
    I didn't see his bike but if you are on a budget and want to do lime green, you can buy aerosol cans of it from Colorrite on Ebay for $20.00 . One can would be enough to do the frame if you sprayed in on fairly closely . You could even paint the engine green then clean the paint off the raised letters so they stand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1116551...&ul_noapp=true

If you spray can the frame, I would spray gloss clear lacquer over it after it dries for a couple days . You can get it from Home depot in Deft or Verathane brand and it will usually say "For Wood Finish".

This is Colorrite #777 here.

This is orig Kawi #777.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //