//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro

--

The Green trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro

A new project started today when I finally got a decent (deeee-eeeecent) deal on a donor bike. The Green , from parts unknown, will be dominating tracks all over the east coast in 2017. The engine set right in and the pipe looks like it's going to work without modification. I didn't set a tank on to see if it will clear but I think I'll be ok. I won't be running this stock pipe anyways, I'll get something more performance oriented. Any guesses on what it is boys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160917_150934.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	234970

Name:	20160917_150924.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	234971

Name:	gbpu_zpsc0e5f9bc.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	234972

Name:	f160f7809e33ac99330889471ef243b5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	234973
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    .....kdx200

--
    I'm bkm, and I approve of this message.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    .....kdx200
    That didn't take long. How about the frame?

And for all the people who haven't seen Trailer Park Boys, the related jokes are hilarious and you're all missing out
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Bore the triples 2mm and run modified 86-88 cr250 43mm showa conventionals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    That didn't take long. How about the frame?

And for all the people who haven't seen Trailer Park Boys, the related jokes are hilarious and you're all missing out
    It's an 86 tecate frame isnt it?

--
    2nd gen tecate frame with 88-03 kx500 motor

--
    Can't trick you guys. Yes, it's a 2nd Gen Tecate frame with a kdx200. The 200 classes really took off this year and I decided I needed to get in on that action. I'm going to have to start training, I can't imagine how hard racing 2 classes will be. Bkm, I'm going to message you about the forks

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Bkm, I'm going to message you about the forks
    Giving credit where credit is due, this was a combo suggested to me by onformula1. Having owned a bike with these forks though, I can attest to their level of performance. These things were way ahead of their time and far superior to anything any manufacturer put on a sport trike of the day.

--
    CR125 and CR500 showa forks of the same years are essentially the same other than spring rates and valving. Still to this day some of the best forks ever built. Somebody should reproduce them. I suppose patents would prohibit.

--
    unrelated to your post but you appear to be getting ready to start robbing hives or splitting them with all the supers and frames in background of that pic "that can be a sweet business but one that you know you are gonna always get stung in"
    you know whats right therefore you know what is expected

--
    Quote Originally Posted by danbur55 View Post
    unrelated to your post but you appear to be getting ready to start robbing hives or splitting them with all the supers and frames in background of that pic "that can be a sweet business but one that you know you are gonna always get stung in"
    Good eye. We got more frames and boxes, we've been going through and putting a couple new frames in with the old comb so they get drawn out easier. And yes, I do get stuck a lot!

--
    At least getting stung will help with arthritis
    you know whats right therefore you know what is expected

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I did some development testing on the 86 KDX 200 and there is a lot of potential in that model and all the other water cooled KDX 200's . Jeff Fredette also won the Gold Medal at the ISDE race in Italy on an 86 KDX, however, with a stock cylinder and head, none of the years are super fast.

Since you are new to the 200 class, I wouldn't touch the ports until you get some time on it, plus it may have been ported already but that doesn't mean that it was done in a way that would be best for your app . It will be fairly sensitive to different pipes, unfortunately, no one makes a pipe for that combo and a custom one will cost a lot and will just be a "best guess".

If you reach a point where you want more top end, a couple very knowledgeable people on porting these are Jeff Fredette and Eric Gore . You can call them direct and go with whomever sounds best to you . You can also try Harry Klemm whom also built the Honda spanking Tecate 200's for Team Green, however, my guess is that he prefers to stick to doing watercraft these days . Ron Black does cylinder head mods for them along with carb mods but you won't benefit much from his carb mods on your app because you will never be below 2/3rd throttle on it during a race.

As far as his head mods go, if you have it ported, I would just have the porter do the head also although one of Rons modified heads will work with someone elses porting . The key is to get the compression where you want it . Also, if you have a head modified, you should send them the piston you plan to use also so the can get the angle of the squish band correct since the angle of the top of the piston can vary between piston brands,

http://www.frpoffroad.com/engine-tips.htm

http://www.eric-gorr.com/

http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_021.htm

Harry Klemm

Phone 928-763-5430

http://www.klemmvintage.com/

One affordable small upgrade you can make is to install Boysen Power Reeds . The part number is 607 . These will not make a big difference but they are not expensive either . I ran used stock reeds on my 250 Tecate race bike and it ran just fine.

If you need a carb, a plain old Mikuni 34 mm through 36 mm is all you will need . You will NOT get ANY more power from some ultra stealth $300.00 prefabulated amulite carburetor, however, one of those will make your wallet considerably lighter . I ran a 38 on my 250 and holeshot several races, so a 38 on a 200 would be overkill.

COMPRESSION

You need a bit of compression in one of these for them to make good power which means you will need to increase the compression then run race gas if you want a pro level engine.

GEARING

I would start with the gearing so it almost reaches max rpm by the end of the longest straight on a track . Since many tracks are likely designed to keep the speeds fairly low these days, this will render first gear basically useless but it will keep it on the power band more which is important on this size engine . You should also try taking off in second gear with this type of gearing.

FORKS

The box stock Tecate forks are plenty good enough and are what everyone ran in the 86 series that Kawasaki won . Even John Neary said they were acceptable for him in stock form but would have stiffened up both ends because he weighed more than most riders . The only real downside of these forks is their scarcity and high price compared to the Honda forks, therefore, unfortunately, the Honda forks may be your simplest option, however, I can tell you that enlarging the holes in the tripple trees will in fact weaken them and make them more susceptible to breaking and is therefore not a suggestion I would make . Just because something can be done does not mean it is a great idea to do it . If you want to run the Kawi forks, you can pm nd4speed and see if he has any he wants to sell . They also occasionally come up on Ebay.

RIDING 2 CLASSES

That's easy if you are on shape . I rode 3 and even 4 classes when I raced Moto cross and these were 20 minute races and I was not in great shape and I partied a bit . 3 wheeler races are rarely longer than 15 minutes long . The more you ride, the easier it becomes.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The KDX 200/220 motors are pretty bulletproof. I had one as my woods weapon years ago, ran a pro circuit pipe and silencer combo along with the dual stage boyesens a twin air filter and the proper carb work, thing was a screamer for sure.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //