//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My New Trike!

--
    I like those tires you have on right now. I always thought the small tires run out of clearance real fast.

Use whatever silencer you like. Look for a nice, welded stainless one.

You should have all kinds of jam with that expansion chamber.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    1. The chain needs about 1/2 inch of play up and down from resting position.
    2. If it's freshly rebuilt. Put 91 or higher octane mixed at 32 or 36:1. Keep the transmission oil fresh by changing every 15-20 hours of ride time. Make sure you grease the pivot points where there are zerks. Other than that just keep riding and listening for odd sounds or different behaviors. The bike will tell you if something is wrong.
    3. I would recommend 120mm ODI rogue grips. I always liked a kenda klaw front tire.
    4. Sounds like your needle may be rich. Raise your needle 1 clip and see if that goes away. If not try 2 clips.
    5. Yes 2 strokes are different than four. They have less torque and require lower gears when climbing hills of any serious nature.

Oh and get a manual.
    I don't think I ever used a fuel with a high anti knock index, as the oil helps with that.

I always made sure I had at least the minimum amount of oil in the mix, and didn't sweat a tiny bit more. I would be somewhat leery about fooling around with the jetting on a 2 stroke if you don't have a good handle on what you are trying to achieve. Too easy to cook it, by running too lean. Not good to run them out of fuel, and you should see a little smoke.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Lever View Post
    I don't think I ever used a fuel with a high anti knock index, as the oil helps with that.

I always made sure I had at least the minimum amount of oil in the mix, and didn't sweat a tiny bit more. I would be somewhat leery about fooling around with the jetting on a 2 stroke if you don't have a good handle on what you are trying to achieve. Too easy to cook it, by running too lean. Not good to run them out of fuel, and you should see a little smoke.

apparently you haven't read my recent posts on motor building or carb tuning (over the past 5 or so years). Welcome to 3ww.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    apparently you haven't read my recent posts on motor building or carb tuning (over the past 5 or so years). Welcome to 3ww.
    Nope. That post of mine wasn't addressed to someone that was comfortable tuning the bike. I do most of my own vehicle maintenance, but I'm not sure I would want to fool around with a 2 stroke tune.

Not that I never will, but I would read up on it until I was sure about it. The OP didn't sound like he was familiar with 2 strokes, so I had some doubts on him trying to run it leaner.

Thanks for the welcome.

BTW, why do you recommend high octane for a fresh build?

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Well.... I think the 3 wheeler bug bit me hard.... I just bought another Trike! I really wanted a 4 stroke trike for basic riding around the property.... and I really need to get my wife one (she things the Tri-Z is the coolest thing) But, she wants 4 stroke and electronic start.... so, I just picked up a Honda ATC 250sx for $500. It runs great... needs new tires and a new seat cover for sure though. I will get pictures posted soon.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Lever View Post
    Nope. That post of mine wasn't addressed to someone that was comfortable tuning the bike. I do most of my own vehicle maintenance, but I'm not sure I would want to fool around with a 2 stroke tune.

Not that I never will, but I would read up on it until I was sure about it. The OP didn't sound like he was familiar with 2 strokes, so I had some doubts on him trying to run it leaner.

Thanks for the welcome.

BTW, why do you recommend high octane for a fresh build?

because today's fuels are crap especially with ethanol blends. Today's 91 was 87 10-20 years ago. I have run some of my bikes on 87 and even 89 and will still witness detonating. I don't take a chance, I stick with 91 or higher. Furthermore, I will go out of my way to find non ethanol blended fuels.

--
    because today's fuels are crap especially with ethanol blends. Today's 91 was 87 10-20 years ago. I have run some of my bikes on 87 and even 89 and will still witness detonating. I don't take a chance, I stick with 91 or higher. Furthermore, I will go out of my way to find non ethanol blended fuels.

ABSO-FRICKEN-LUTELY!

Everything I own gets 91 non-ethanol except our two newer vehicles... my saws, weedeaters, wheelers, boats, '78 Chevy, etc etc... A bit more octane rating than minimum recommended doesn't hurt a thing.. You will lose a very small amount of performance, but you won't even notice it unless you are literally dyno tuning...so long as you are only a few points higher like running 91 non-ethanol vs 87 with 10% ethanol... Jump up to 110, you will likely actually feel a loss in performance, but again, it won't hurt a thing. Don't try the other way around though!

And FTR, 2-stroke tuning is really no different than tuning a 4-stroke, both need a certain amount of fuel to run properly, both can burn the top end down with a lean condition, both will run like garbage if too rich... But in fact, I find it much easier to tune a wing-dinger as I feel they much more clearly communicate what they want than a thumper, in my experience anyway. Thumpers are much more subtle.

Brandon: Way to go on the latest acquisition! Love to see a pic or two!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    ABSO-FRICKEN-LUTELY!

Everything I own gets 91 non-ethanol except our two newer vehicles... my saws, weedeaters, wheelers, boats, '78 Chevy, etc etc... A bit more octane rating than minimum recommended doesn't hurt a thing.. You will lose a very small amount of performance, but you won't even notice it unless you are literally dyno tuning...so long as you are only a few points higher like running 91 non-ethanol vs 87 with 10% ethanol... Jump up to 110, you will likely actually feel a loss in performance, but again, it won't hurt a thing. Don't try the other way around though!

And FTR, 2-stroke tuning is really no different than tuning a 4-stroke, both need a certain amount of fuel to run properly, both can burn the top end down with a lean condition, both will run like garbage if too rich... But in fact, I find it much easier to tune a wing-dinger as I feel they much more clearly communicate what they want than a thumper, in my experience anyway. Thumpers are much more subtle.

Amen brother Joe, preach on!

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So... I need a new shock on the Tri-Z..... wow I did not realize how much a new shock cost!

--
    Check out that Tri-Z parts interchange thread... I think it's the Banshee shock that will work on the Z... Should be able to find a good working used Banshee shock for reasonable $$$ I would think...

Yes, shocks can be VERY expensive!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6268.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	235104

Can this cylinder be recharged or something? It king of looks like a serviceable part

--
    Yes they can be recharged. But you might need to have the shock rebuilt for it to hold.

My opinion: unless you are going to custom tune your suspension for your body weight and racing, you would probably do just fine to replace it with a good used Banshee shock.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    Very nice trike you got.. Looking forward to seeing how the wifes 250SX turns out.

Start a new thread on it.

--
    Ok I will look for a used banshee shock! Got the tri-z back from the mechanic today. The new tires are great and other than the rear shock and the clutch cable he replaced he said everything else is really nice and taken well care of so I was very happy to hear that.

Yea I will start a new thread on the 250sx. My buddy picked it up for me tonight (good friends are great!) and he just sent me a video of him riding it... I will go see it in the morning. My wife has no clue I night it for her lol... I gotta do a little work on it before I give it to her. I will take pictures of it and start a new thread in the morning

--
    Not to be contrary, but those numbers are just a knock index. 87 RON today was 87 yesteryear.

And if anything, today's engines are better able to handle low anti knock rated fuel than before. Speaking mainly of cars and trucks with knock sensors, VVT, and aluminum heads help.

I was just questioning why it would matter whether it was freshly built or not. I suppose if it was badly in need of rings it would make some difference.

I'll take your word that 2 strokes are easier to tune. I agree that you can cook a 4 stroke, too; but they are more forgiving.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //