//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to check for oil pressure? ATC 200, rebuilt motor.

--

How to check for oil pressure? ATC 200, rebuilt motor.

Hey all, just finally got around the throwing the motor in my trike that I rebuilt. Started right up. Now my question is, how do I know for certain I'm getting oil to the head? I don't wanna trash the motor obviously, so I pulled a valve plug cover, and could see droplets of oil flying around in there. Is there a for sure way, to know I'm getting oil? Don't want my cam seizing up or anything.

2016 Can-Am Outlander XT 1000R
    2001 Yamaha YZ 125
    1985 Honda ATC 200M w/ Hi/Lo

--
    Did you clean the screen in the bottom of engine when rebuilding ? was crank case dirty with nasty black oil when torn down ?
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    The inside of the motor was actually extremely clean, cleaner then almost any I've seen on Youtube. Oil screen in the drain plug was also clean. The only thing in the motor that was was pretty dirty, was the clutch discs were falling apart. Flushed the clutch side of the motor out really well. Let it idle for about 5 minutes, and seems to run great, other then exhaust leaking extremely bad from a rusted through header. I just wish there was an easy way to know if I was getting good oil pressure to the head. Hard to see much in the valve adjustment holes.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    Pop the valve covers and use a bright light (I use a large mag). Shine it in the valve openings. It should be very evident.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    It's hard to get my head in there, but I'll try again sometime. How long would it run if there was no oil going to the head? And if anyone has any videos explaining where to look, that would be awesome.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    On the rocker arm cover you will find a bolt (1 or more) with a copper washer. Loosen it.

Oil should flow right out of it.

There are 2 small o-rings in that rocker box, I'm sure you remember them.

Also, when you were in the motor, did you clean the oil filter rotor?? They work by centrifugal force and I always find junk in them.

And if you ever had to get it off, (because those screws may require allot of force, cracking the aluminum casting), that crank on the right side is left handed threads....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    +1. This bolt is specifically placed to check top end oiling.

--
    Okay, which bolt though? All the head nuts have copper washers, I'm guessing not those, right? If I can figure out which bolt exactly, that would be great. I've heard of this, but no ones ever said exactly which bolt or nut. It's always "one of the bolts" or something. Pretty vague, but it's a start.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    Hello, im not sure on your motor but on the late 200x 's its the bolt with copper staring at you in pic, it may help u find yours.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	235076

--
    Awesome, I'll go take a look. Thanks.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    Attitude is everything

--
    Nope, the only nuts or bolts with copper washers are the head nuts. Since the oil travels through those holes for the head bolt studs, I suppose I could loosen one of those?

Edit: I loosened the rear right head nut, the same stud that has the O-ring installed, since I assume that's the oil feed? And had no oil coming out at all
    Last edited by Velislide; 09-21-2016 at 08:52 PM.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
    Nope, the only nuts or bolts with copper washers are the head nuts. Since the oil travels through those holes for the head bolt studs, I suppose I could loosen one of those?

Edit: I loosened the rear right head nut, the same stud that has the O-ring installed, since I assume that's the oil feed? And had no oil coming out at all
    ummm, do NOT loosen the head nuts . Now you should torque them all down again.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Yep, re torqued it. So I'm guessing the 185/200 motors have no way to check for oil at the head? I see very small oil droplets flying around in the valve adjustment cover, but could that be from the timing chain possibly?

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    The reason you aren't seeing oil come out of that stud is because of that o-ring. Be happy it's preforming per design. My original post above is how you check the pressure. If you are seeing oil droplets moving in there you are good to go.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //