//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200M won't shift passed first, moving at idle?

--

200M won't shift passed first, moving at idle?

Still working on this trike I picked up, now that I have it running, have a strange issue. The bike really wants to go in first gear, like the centrifugal clutch is engaging, but at low RPMs while idling. It also won't shift into 2nd, while the motor is running. The shifter moves down fully, but there's no "click" into gear. Tried playing with the clutch adjustment, and didn't do anything. Any idea what the problem could be? I tore the motor down and put in new friction discs, and cleaned everything up. Has been a nightmare, with eBay sellers sending me the wrong part for almost everything I order. Just want to get this thing on the trail.

2016 Can-Am Outlander XT 1000R
    2001 Yamaha YZ 125
    1985 Honda ATC 200M w/ Hi/Lo

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well, better get a manual and adjust your clutch. If you dont have one, a service manual can be found here:
    oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals

The cent. clutch engaging at lower rpms is normal after replacing the shoes. I just did my clutch on my 84 200M, and it pulls in gear at idle, but, it will loosen up after a few rides.

Maybe you could check the shifter cam and plate inside??? Maybe something in there is loose and not allowing it to shift right?

Thats a pain that you were sent the wrong parts. But are you 100 percent sure that you finally recieved the correct parts? Just something else to check, in case a piece was accidentally overlooked or something.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Parts that got screwed up were only the carb, exhaust, throttle cable, clutch springs, and some other misc parts. As far as the sticking issue. If the centrigual clutch was engaging way to early, and putting a constant load on the clutch pack, would that keep the trike from shifting? Since it shifts when the motor is off, and I rock it back and forth?

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

--
    The spring on your primary clutch.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
    Parts that got screwed up were only the carb, exhaust, throttle cable, clutch springs, and some other misc parts. As far as the sticking issue. If the centrigual clutch was engaging way to early, and putting a constant load on the clutch pack, would that keep the trike from shifting? Since it shifts when the motor is off, and I rock it back and forth?
    Ok. No, I dont think that it would keep it from shifting. That just my thought, because my trike's cent clutch engages too early but seems to shift fine, running or not. I think rocking back and forth is normal to get it to shift, because the gears dont always line up just right.

Honestly I am not sure what would cause that. Maybe try starting it up, pushing it and shifting into first or second? May take a bit more force than normal to shift, but should go. If you can get it to go into first, maybe you could drive it a bit in first and then see if you can shift while moving. Just left of the gas to shift while rolling, then more gas if she shifts? Might just need something loosened up. Actually, what you might try, after driving it a little, etc, is to check your manual clutch springs. If the are too tight it could make it not shift. That might be it. Did you get heavy-duty springs? Just some ideas. Maybe someone else here has experienced this problem and can help.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Okay, so idle was just a little high to where it was engaging the centri clutch slightly, so fixed that. Adjusted the clutch, loosened the adjuster until I felt contact, and a quarter turn back in. Seems like the clutch is grabbing good after the trike is warmed up, can wheelie in first with my 220lb butt on it without really trying. But I still can't shift passed first. Now if I use my hand and keep shifting down really, really fast, up and down with the shifter, it will go into 2nd after a few tries. What would cause this? I can shift, only if I shift really fast, multiple times.

2001 Yamaha YZ 125

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //