//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 110 hanging idle.

jeopardy98 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

84 110 hanging idle.

Been a long time. Life got crazy but I picked up an 84 110 yesterday. It runs but has a high/hanging idle. It also has a leaky petcock and is missing a proper air filter. Someone also drilled the factory airbox

My question is if buying an eBay carb with an open filter is a decent option since it would replace several of my problem areas. Otherwise I need a rebuild kit, petcock kit, and air filter. I'll go that route if I need to but if the carb with open filter will work I'll go that way. Will the carb come jetted for the open filter if I go that route? Thanks for any insight you all can provide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1476062015132.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	235588
    Last edited by yaegerb; 10-10-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    85 110- Sold
    84 70- Sold
    86 200x- Sold
    85 250sx- daily runner
    86 250r- current project (need parts)

jeopardy98 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    No one?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    85 110- Sold
    84 70- Sold
    86 200x- Sold
    85 250sx- daily runner

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeopardy98 View Post
    No one?

Personally I shy away from the cheap eBay carbs. It's a 50/50 gamble in my experience. I would pick up a quality rebuild kit like shindy and then go to jets r us and get a main and pilot OEM jet. The shindy jets are knockoffs that come with the kit. I would also replace any o rings (if you have them) where the carb/intake meet to ensure an airtight seal. Also make sure you thoroughly soak the carb with a product like berrymans Chem dip for a day (take off all rubber/plastic) bits and then blow clean with pressurized air and carb cleaner.

Do you ride in wet or muddy conditions? If so, go with the OEM air filter or upgrade to a high quality foam filter like uni. Lastly, if you go with the air filter make sure to figure out a way to plug up the drilled airbox or source a good condition OEM replacement.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Thank you. I think I'm going to order a carb kit and a uni filter since my oem carb body is usable. RTV should be sufficient to plug the airbox holes. I have a dip bucket of carb cleaner too so I just need to check the manual for main and pilot jet sizes.

Thanks for the confirmation on skipping the knock off carb.

85 110- Sold
    84 70- Sold
    86 200x- Sold
    85 250sx- daily runner

--
    I have found that if my throttle cable adjustment screw on the carb lid is screwed out to far it will cause a hanging idle. Try screwing it all the way in and go from there. I would then check for a lean condition. Good luck.

RamsesRibb is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

84 110 hanging idle.

I rebuild my stock carb but still had a rising idle and flooding issue. I bought a $20 eBay carb and boom. Runs just about perfect with only a slight hesitation if you jam it from idle to WOT. The only issue I had when installing was the Chinese carb had built in bolts and shape of the bolt flange wouldn't let the bolts go through. I just cut a slot in the flange on the tight side with a dremel and slide it onto the bolt.
    Last edited by RamsesRibb; 10-13-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    Previously known as HighFlying101 since 2003
    I changed my email and lost my password

Current: '85 Tri-Z , '83 250r , '86 Tecate, '80 ATC110
    Prior: '85 FTZ ATC350X, '85 Tri-Z, '85 ATC200X w/ Bassani exhaust, '83 Big Red, '81 ATC185S, '79 ATC110

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tpctrikes/

--
    check your carbs Slide... i put a carb on my other YTM 225 and couldn't get the idle to go down from "blow the motor" high idle so i took the carb off and looked inside at where the slide sits when theres no throttle being applied and saw a good sized space... so i looked in the carb from my running YTM 225 and saw no space, so i took out the slide and compared it to the good working trike and I'd say it was about 1/2 to 3/4 inches shorter... so i grabbed a longer one from my bucket-O-spares and threw it in and Boom, ran like a top.. well, not really a top, but it idled much , much better...lol

--
    Thank you. I'll check out all of this. I was certain it was an air leak but I think I'm chasing my tail if I don't get the filter and box squared away first.

85 110- Sold
    84 70- Sold
    86 200x- Sold
    85 250sx- daily runner

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsesRibb View Post
    I rebuild my stock carb but still had a rising idle and flooding issue. I bought a $20 eBay carb and boom. Runs just about perfect with only a slight hesitation if you jam it from idle to WOT. The only issue I had when installing was the Chinese carb had built in bolts and shape of the bolt flange wouldn't let the bolts go through. I just cut a slot in the flange on the tight side with a dremel and slide it onto the bolt.
    when i got my first trike the previous owner had put a Chinese carb on it... the thing would start, then if it stalled or i shut it down, it wouldn't start again till the next day! it drove me nuts trying to figure out why... then one day i took the carb off to clean it and just for fun i took all the jets and stuff out of the trikes original carb (which the last owner had replaced because he broke the tab off the floats...lol ) and stuck them into the Chinese carb and the trike ran great! after a while I thought, then why not just buy a new float set up and use the original carb? that's when i saw it had a nice little hole rotted in the side and gas poured out...lol i finally found one on ebay, rebuilt it and used that. and i just did the same thing on my other 225, found a carb for $25.00 on ebay that was off i believe a Wolverine or some other mid 1980s Yamaha quad and it worked great except for the slide wasn't the right side.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //