//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Caltric "Jieliwang" Keihin Carbuetor for Honda ATC 200, Jetting issue- Help!

--

Caltric "Jieliwang" Keihin Carbuetor for Honda ATC 200, Jetting issue- Help!

Well, I have a Japanese made (yes, not china!) Keihin PZ27 Clone "Jieliwang CPZ27" Clone from Caltric I bought a while back for my ATC 185s, which has a 200 engine on it. well, it's been running a little rough lately, if I stab the throttle, it will try to die on me. The Carb came stock with Genuine KeiHin #34 Pilot Jet and a #94 main jet, and it ran really lean. I put my Factory KeiHin Carb's Main Jet into it (Keihin#98), which fits perfectly, but the Pilot Jet (KeiHin#38 on the old carb), will not fit into the new carb. The pilot jet on the clone carb has a short screw end and a longer Atomizer than the pilot jet on the old carburetor. The bike Idles perfectly no matter the settings, but will try to bog under throttle. With the #98 jet, it runs better, but only if on half choke. i have tried different Needle, throttle, and mixture screw settings, absolutely no change. I have changed the Intake seals, as well as the exhaust seal, but the Carb boot and Airbox seal, as well as the Tube from the airbox bottom to the frame are factory original. The Exhaust is stock, but possibly hollowed out.

I am wondering, could a bigger pilot jet help the issue, and if so, where do I find the ones with the long atomiser and short screw in end? would I need a bigger still Main jet? This has me frustrated for quite a while now!
    Never forget the past , but dont dwell on it.

My toys
    Trike:
    1983 Honda Atc 185s (update: frame painted!)
    1986 honda Atc 125m (sold)

Non - trike
    1968 Lomart Cheeftah Mini bike (3 hp Tecumseh)
    1968 wheel horse charger automatic ( modded)
    1981 Dodge Power Ram (driver)
    1981 Imperial (project car)

Follow me on my blog! (Yes, its about trikes!) https://www.tumblr.com/blog/atctriangleofdeath

--
    If it runs better with the choke on you are still lean. Put a 40 Pilot in it with a 108 main. Try Jetsrus.com and see if you can match up the correct pilot by reviewing their many offerings.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Did it previously run well with those jets? If so, the jets didn't change and make it run rough, something else did, ie: valve too tight, advance mechanism sticking, air leak, fuel restriction, dirt in carb, stale furl, etc. If it has always been a little lean, you could try taking the pilot jet out and measuring it as accurately as possible, hoping to find a match on jets 'r us or sudco, but you may find that it's a unique jet. I personally would head to Harbor Fright and buy a set of micro drill bits, and open the pilot jet up a little at a time. Open the pilot mixture screw up to 2 turns out, and leave it there. Then, drill the jet one size bigger at a time until it runs better. If you do all the drilling with the mixture screw 2 turns out, you at least have some room to lean it out if you go just a little too big with the jet. Btw, these engines seem to tolerate being a little too rich far better than they tolerate too lean.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by YTZ drew View Post
    Did it previously run well with those jets? If so, the jets didn't change and make it run rough, something else did, ie: valve too tight, advance mechanism sticking, air leak, fuel restriction, dirt in carb, stale furl, etc. If it has always been a little lean, you could try taking the pilot jet out and measuring it as accurately as possible, hoping to find a match on jets 'r us or sudco, but you may find that it's a unique jet. I personally would head to Harbor Fright and buy a set of micro drill bits, and open the pilot jet up a little at a time. Open the pilot mixture screw up to 2 turns out, and leave it there. Then, drill the jet one size bigger at a time until it runs better. If you do all the drilling with the mixture screw 2 turns out, you at least have some room to lean it out if you go just a little too big with the jet. Btw, these engines seem to tolerate being a little too rich far better than they tolerate too lean.

Not really, I was able to fix the old carb and run for awhile with it, but it's too wore now. the new carb never ran right. Oddly enough, the old carb had a #98 Main/ #38 Pilot Combo, and it ran too rich, to the point you had to keep the throttle going or else it would die, but Im sure the floats sunk on it. As it is, i am running a #98 main / #34 pilot combo and it idles great, but leans out on throttle.

My toys
    Trike:

Non - trike

Follow me on my blog! (Yes, its about trikes!) https://www.tumblr.com/blog/atctriangleofdeath

--
    Quote Originally Posted by YTZ drew View Post
    No, it never ran well with the new carb, even with using the bigger main jet from the old carb . I have not messed with the advance at all, so maybe I need to mess with it. I was able to tweak the old carb to run for a while longer, and not leak as bad, but it gave up and then acted worse than before. I have not opened the engine up yet, and I am thinking of freshening it up with new gaskets and rings, and I need to figure out why my second gear makes a constant clicking noise, it sounds like a shift fork hitting the gears, but i am not exactly sure. It started a while ago, and it has not got any worse, or spread to any other gears, just second.

My toys
    Trike:

Non - trike

--
    also, when you buy a new jet, is it both the atomizer and the jet itself, or just the screw in piece? I see they sell them on many places as just the screw in part. Can I get a complete jet, and if not, will I have to drill the holes on the atomizer if I go to a #105?

My toys
    Trike:

Non - trike

--
    Jets are just the screw in part.

One method, which most people condone, is the drilling the jet out method. If you cant find a new pilot jet, you may need to drill it out. You'll need a microdrill bit set ($7 off amazon.com). Find the biggest one that fits, then go 1 size up. If you go to large. Solder it back up and try again.

Once you locate the correct size bit, find a jet to match that if you can. If not, solder works fine. Never had an issue.

What is worn out on the old carb? There is only a few moving parts.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //