//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Conundrum on Tire Size

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Conundrum on Tire Size

Ok... so.... I have a 250sx (the "My Wife's New Trike" thread in the new member's section) and my friend / mechanic just got her all tuned up and running today. I just got back from test riding it.... it rides and operates flawlessly!

I have a new seat, will be ordering new plastics and Martin (my guy) is going to refurb the gas tank and front and rear racks. So, it will be looking all shiny when I give it to my wife.

The only other thing I need to get is new tires. I had my mind set on going OEM Size 22x11-8 all the way around. Currently it has 20x7-8 on the front and 25x13-8 on the back. However, now that I have ridden it around I am not 100% sure that years ago when the 25's were put on it that it did not have some gear work done to accommodate. It is very quick to get up to speed. In fact, 1st gear is geared so low that it was almost useless and 2nd gear was a better starting place on flat or downhill take offs.

So, my question to all you 250sx (or other machine) experts is... What should I do? It runs great with the larger tires and I like the look... should I put new 25x12 on the back and change just the front to a 22x11, or should I go back 22x11 all the way around?

This trike will be used primarily by my wife for easy to moderate trail riding through the mountains.
    1983 Selvy 300R - Check out the Build Thread
    1985/86 Tri-Z - Build Thread Coming Soon
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

Youtube Channel "Lowe Off Road"

- Brandon

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    My personal opinion, 25's look atrocious on an SX. I completely agree with your thoughts to put 22x11x8's all the way around back on the bike.

First gear is intentionally very low for pulling heavy loads and creeping through rough terrain or climbing steep, technical hills. There is a possibility someone may have swapped in a Big Red rear end which has deeper gearing. The Big Red gearing is offset by the 25" tires. I don't know how much experience you have with these bikes so I don't know if your first gear is what it's supposed to be or not. The fact that it has 25's on it is a clue that it certainly might have a Big Red rear end. If it does then the next steps are up to you. As I said, I can't stand 25's on SX's, with the exception being dedicated mudders or lifted bikes. Even those aren't my cup of tea but in that instance at least the big tires serve a purpose.

I wish I could tell you how to find out which gearing you have but I don't know how. I'm sure someone will post soon with a suggestion of how to find out for certain what you've got there.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I would want to determine if the gearing was in fact messed with (which I would doubt it has but maybe). That said, if you like the look and the ride than get the 25" tires. I have two 200S's. One has the original set up with 22x11-8's and the other someone messed with and has 25x12-9's on the back (Big Red wheels/tires/hubs). Other than one sits a little higher in back, I don't notice much difference. And when I bought tires, I just went with the bigger set up. First gear on the SX is pretty low. I have 22's on mine and I often skip 1st and just start in 2nd. The 25's will only move you about 9 inches farther per rotation. Thats a little less than a 15% increase. Not insignificant but I don't think its a big deal. Might give ya better gas mileage ��.

--
    The bigger the tire, the better for off road. Simple as that. Having said that. Too big on the front will rub the forks,you have to stay with the stock size. Rear,,anything wider usually rubs the muffler and plastics. A 24-11-8 of the right proportion would be great
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Herboso View Post
    I would want to determine if the gearing was in fact messed with (which I would doubt it has but maybe). That said, if you like the look and the ride than get the 25" tires. I have two 200S's. One has the original set up with 22x11-8's and the other someone messed with and has 25x12-9's on the back (Big Red wheels/tires/hubs). Other than one sits a little higher in back, I don't notice much difference. And when I bought tires, I just went with the bigger set up. First gear on the SX is pretty low. I have 22's on mine and I often skip 1st and just start in 2nd. The 25's will only move you about 9 inches farther per rotation. Thats a little less than a 15% increase. Not insignificant but I don't think its a big deal. Might give ya better gas mileage ��.
    But if it were me and since it is still outfitted with the 8" wheels, I would go with the stock 22x11-8's. But find out about that gearing.

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    First gear is really low on a sx. I would keep the stock tire size and a oem tread pattern. For light trail riding it will not matter if somebody swapped big red gears in. I doubt someone swapped gears when they put new tires on.
    Chris

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //