//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Adding G.P.S. to my trike.

--

Adding G.P.S. to my trike.

Been sorta envious of a few of the folks I ride with that have gps systems so going to give my Garmin Novi model a try.
    Ordered the VVMAPPING.COM SD card that has Michigan and Wisconsin orv trails on it for 40 dollars shipped.
    I have a waterproof housing coming and got 12 volt power outlet installed today.
    About 18 board members spent 3+ days riding Baldwin, Mi. ORV trails in Lake County so in looking the trail map over on my Garmin,,,, well wish I'd done this awhile ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161015_215508.jpg   20161015_215357.jpg   20161015_215622.jpg  

--
    This is the waterproof housing coming ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/251294820081...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe this set up is going to work well for me but just in case it don't I won't have a lot into it and will probably purchase this unit towards spring.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/122018362882...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I rigged up my Scrambler (quad) with a mount and charging cord for my phone and used the PDF Maps app for my Samsung Galaxy S4 when we went on our trip between Sept 30 and Oct 2. Unfortunately my Scrambler died, so I didn't get to use the mount. The app worked well tho and had our location pinpointed within a reasonable distance.

For those who don't have a dedicated GPS device
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Interesting. I should have asked what other folks are doing/using ?

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I have a handheld gps I keep with me. I plan on getting a better gps and a good mount for next year. How do you plan to mount your gps john? I like tappers mount setup.
    Chris

--
    John, here is the company I bought our mounting system from. We use a Garmin Dakota 20 with the VV mapping card and it's great. These mounts have a base pc that attaches to the GPS unit that has a ball on it .The Handle bar bracket also has a ball and the arm that connects the two is fully adjustable and tightens with a wing nut. the arms come in different lengths. We have handlebar mounts on most of the machines and the GPS can be switched in seconds. I like the idea of the bigger Garmin, Easy to see for our aging eyes…

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--
    There a handle bar clamp mount included with the water proof housing that's coming CTK. We shall see what 17 dollars of quilt I get (???).
    Tappers unit is like perfect except for what Ross pointed out about aging eye's ~ lol. Mine in particular.
    I am hoping I can discern milage. Not sure if I can or not. More important then speed is milage driven. Perhaps I will adjust from that since I will have the time at a glance,,, ride 15 minutes in should take about same to get back I suppose.

--
    I run a Garmin e-trex 20 on my wheeler, and in my kayak in the BWCA, and it's small, so it works great for hunting or to stick in your pocket while snowboarding in the mountains... Definitely not a huge screen, but not bad. Just a simple handlebar mount, and cable tie it to my front rack. Rolled the wheeler over backward, destroyed my top bridge, and it never even wiggled...
    Last edited by Thorpe; 10-19-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Sorry. I don't want to get off topic on this.

If you purchase the trail maps will it indicate if a trail is closed(?) Could be due to flooding ETC... My brother has an APP that he pays for on his phone for the sleds. It shows what trails are open and closed.

--
    This paticular mapping is not interactive, it is basically just the ORV trails that have been logged and recorded so they show up like the roads do on a typical car GPS.

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
    This paticular mapping is not interactive, it is basically just the ORV trails that have been logged and recorded so they show up like the roads do on a typical car GPS.

Ross..
    Thank you.

--

This is gonna work !

I had to fiddle a little with the mount and most likely not the perminent location. I will need to relocate my on/off switch toggle + neutral light this winter.
    Just wanted to see how it all was going to work + mount up.
    Easy to press the modes thru the flexable clear plastic and mount stays put very well. Also had my galaxy 5 phone in there and it also would work well so long as plugged in. Like all cell phones it sucks battery juice alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161020_190514.jpg   20161020_190430.jpg   20161020_190420.jpg   20161020_190353.jpg  

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well John, lets load up and go back to Baldwin. We really should test your new setup. I vote we ride right to that awesome look out over the river and mark a way point
    Chris

Legns is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Sweet speedo I like the gps idea too

--
    Finally got my GPS project done New Years day. I though going "hard wired" to the 12 volt system would be a better way to go so I cut the cigarette lighter plug in off and wired it in. As soom as I turned power on the Garmin nuvi went blank. Turns out they are 5.5 volt ,,, the adapter I cut off is actually a voltage reducer as well (dam).
    Come across another inexpensive (25 dollar total) Garmin nuvi on ebay and bought the extension adapter kit and all is good now.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Garmin-US...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170101_160437.jpg   20170101_160423.jpg   20170101_160334.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //