//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MX Rules Changes

--

2017 MX Rules Changes

First off, thanks to all who participated this year.
    2016 was the first year with full face helmet requirement.

Couple new rules going into effect for 2017.
    For the first time, there will be a 2 point tech inspection before MX.
    There will be a station set up on the trail before the track.
    I expect the tech inspection will take ~30 seconds to a minute.

1. Checking all axle nuts for cotter pins. Split pins and slip pins work the best. Safety wire is acceptable - although not ideal. We'd rather not see bent over nails if at all possible.

2. Working brakes. I know, I know. "Brakes? You mean 1st gear?" Truthfully, I know you guys are extremely talented and don't need brakes. This rule is being put in place to protect the less skilled rider that crashes directly in front of you.

Kintore will be handling tech inspection duties. Quick check of your wheels and brakes, and a reminder of the 2018 race trike tether rule and you will be on your way.

I'm giving 8 months notice on this one so everyone has more than enough time to get your drums, discs, lines, and cables in order.

Thanks!!

--
    So what if only you're rear breaks work? Or vice versa? Is that considered passable in the state of 3ww or can I get a lick n' stick inspection from the haspin acres garage?

--
    What up with all the rules. That's it I'm not racing
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    What up with all the rules. That's it I'm not racing
    He said as he stepped off his little Yammi Big Wheel. If parts aint flyin'.........

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    So what if only you're rear breaks work? Or vice versa? Is that considered passable in the state of 3ww or can I get a lick n' stick inspection from the haspin acres garage?
    If somebody needs his brakes fixed at TrikeFest, he will have virtually unlimited access to wrenches, parts, and experts to help. You know that better than anyone, Ghost.

My 70 and 110 don't have OEM front brakes. There are also a lot of customs out there. That's why I was a little vague.

I am asking everyone to make a good faith effort to have all their brakes working when they show up at tech.

--
    Fair enough. So to clear up the last bit of haze for TF18' does that only pertain to "race" trikes? So if I run a 110 or a utility trike do I need a tether kill switch?

Im only asking because let's say I run my 225dx I can't take off my factory switch because it has the E-start button on it too. Unless you can wire them up parallel, I never tried.

--
    You can wire them in parallel
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

mollie8000 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    need help with tech inspection or repair I will be there 10 years running,let me know now or later
    Trikefest survivor 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    These rules are a good idea! Nothing wrong with any of them!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mollie8000 View Post
    need help with tech inspection or repair I will be there 10 years running,let me know now or later
    I appreciate the offer and may take you up on that.
    We don't have a good feel yet of how this will go, so it will be good to have a few extra people on hand.
    We will talk more when it gets closer. I definitely know where to find you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    Fair enough. So to clear up the last bit of haze for TF18' does that only pertain to "race" trikes? So if I run a 110 or a utility trike do I need a tether kill switch?

Im only asking because let's say I run my 225dx I can't take off my factory switch because it has the E-start button on it too. Unless you can wire them up parallel, I never tried.
    I threw that in to see who was paying attention. Glad you asked!

Not this coming year, but beginning in 2018, tethers will be required on all "race trikes."
    The planning / rules committee hasn't discussed this in great detail yet, but here is where I stand on it:

A race trike is one designed specifically as a track only machine.
    So if you 350X or 250R trail machine that you happen to be racing at TrikeFest, it is not required (since you are technically racing a trail trike).**
    If you have a 110 with giant motor, cart tires, no lights, number plates, etc. It is a race trike and needs a tether.
    We aren't trying to complicate things, and it really should be common sense as to what is and is not a "racer".
    To address your specific question, "no" you wouldn't be required to have a tether.

Fact is, every track I have ever been on has had a tether requirement, so theoretically, if you race anywhere other than TF, you will already be wired with one.
    Hopefully this makes some sense, and we have 18 months to discuss it. I'll probably start that thread next year at this time.

** for the safety of all racers and spectators, it would be ideal if all of the "big trikes" are eventually equipped with tether kill switches.**

--
    Good rules. Quick question for you, will all racers get through inspection before the race officially starts

--
    Yes. We will funnel it down to 2 lanes on the trail into the track. Racing? Tech inspection left lane. Spectator? Stay right and keep moving. Maybe begin tech at 10 am, racing at noon. We'll tag your trike to indicate you passed.

--
    Sounds good to me, thank you.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quick tip here folks...If you are too cheap to buy a 25 dollar kill switch, or a bag of functioning cotter pins for 2.99....The canadian inspector can be bribed with a 1/2 pound of potato salad, and a tall boy of Bud Light at the cost of 2.98 american dollars me thinks...
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //