//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspended 185s Build Thread

--

Cool Suspended 185s Build Thread

Hello 3ww and welcome to my long overdue build thread. Before I get to deep into this build I would like to say this is not meant to be a show quality Build. I just want something that looks good, I'm proud of and I"m not afraid to ride. This won't be a garage queen. Now a look down memory lane. I started in the ATC/ATV world with a 1982 ATC 185s (That I still have). I always loved the little trike. But one thing that always bothered was the lack of suspension. About a year ago I bough PK bolt on rear suspension kit from a member here that goes by the name of Zeeker1. After I bought the kit I decided I would wait for a aftermarket front suspension kit to come along. After a year of passive searching I decided I either needed to sell the kit so someone else could enjoy it or build this trike myself. I started sourcing parts starting with front suspension. I sourced some ATC 200x forks then sent Ol Deuce a pm. He then had a ready to install stem adapter on the way. This is a great guy he did extra work so I wouldn't have to find someone else to weld it. And answered all of my questions. This being my first time doing anything like this there were a few of them. If you have ever thought about a fork swap this is your guy. Below is a picture of the adapter I received.

I bought a pair of 185ss in a small lot of trikes before this build was a thought. One was a parts trike that looked in decent shape and one was a running and driving trike. When I picked them up I didn't think about looking the parts trike over because I never anticipated it being anything more than a parts trike. The running and driving trike was a nice buy. When I decided to build this trike my plan was to use the parts trike and keep the running trike stock. Oh boy was I wrong.

First I got to dismantling the parts three wheeler to the frame. I quickly found out that this trike was one problem after another. The frame was junk a previous owner broke the grab bar mounts off and welded plates back onto the trike. I told my self "oh well I'll at least have a spare motor for my trike if something happens".
    Wrong agian I found myself faced with a cobbled together motor. It was full of good intentions executed horribly. It had mismatched hardware, course thread bolts forced into fine threads, copious ammounts of RTV sealing the carb and engine And worst of all the end of the crank shaft was mushroomed out. so much so I couldn't fit my flywheel puller on to rob the stators and other spare parts. So now I'll be using the engine and frame from the trike I wanted to keep stock.

Now to disassembly take two. Everything went smooth the biggest problem I had was getting the foot brake off the frame. But a little heat fixed that. you can see what I started with on the second trike.

Then with cutting the frame. zeerker1 was kind enough to provide me with many pictures of his frame.

After cutting and a dry fit of the suspension mounts It was time to paint. I have heard a lot of good stuff about DuPont caliper paint in a can. So far it has proven to be durable but only time will tell. I started by painting all the suspension pieces. I went with a red swingarm and the rest of the components black. I like the way it turned out. The original idea was to paint the swingarm gold like a 250r but I decided against it. After cutting the frame I wire wheeled it and laid down a coat of POR15. I then top coated the POR15 with black caliper paint to protect from UV light. Pictures of this to come as I'm waiting for it all to dry right now.

Now I'm waiting for rain to let up to paint more parts. And for more parts to get here. I'm getting there slowly.

Lastly, I'm sorry for any grammatical errors that I have made. It is now 7:55am and I am in need of sleep. I have been meaning to make this thread for weeks now. I got off work and decided to make it tonight. I am sure I have made quite a few mistakes.

Special thanks to:
    Zeeker1 (The swing arm kit, pictures and knowledge)
    Ol Deuce (Stem adapter and knowledge)
    Shortline10 (Parts advice/Knowledge)
    Vealmonkey (Never talked to him but I have learned a lot from him)
    Last edited by Hopper055; 03-09-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    19?? Motorcraft Three wheeler
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

My suspended ATC185s build thread.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-Build-Thread

--
    Love it. Can't wait to see it finished and with the 200x front end. You plan on doing any hop ups for the engine or just going to make it a nice comfortable trail machine?

--
    Nice! The 200s is my favorite trike. I'll be watching. Please put the final pics of this when it's done.

--
    Cant wait to see the finished product. You gotta love the suspended 185 & 200s Bikes!
    If you plan on hopping up the motor I may know where some old school parts are.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Definitely waiting to see this finished and hopefully learn a little about suspended 185s.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    Love it. Can't wait to see it finished and with the 200x front end. You plan on doing any hop ups for the engine or just going to make it a nice comfortable trail machine?
    My current plans are to put the stock engine on it now so I can enjoy it. Then when I get some spare funds I will buy a spare motor just to hop up. I have already cleaned the engine and it's looking presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by schlepp29 View Post
    Nice! The 200s is my favorite trike. I'll be watching. Please put the final pics of this when it's done.
    It's hard to beat a hard tail they have always been extremely reliable for me. The only way I could think to improve one was suspension. And I'll do you one better, I'll post pics of it done and what it takes for me to get it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post
    Cant wait to see the finished product. You gotta love the suspended 185 & 200s Bikes!
    If you plan on hopping up the motor I may know where some old school parts are.
    I would be interested in buying some go fast goodies as soon as funds become available. My plan for a second motor is a cylinder bore, high comp piston, 200x cam and fresh clutch. I would like to ride this knowing I am the reason it's heart thumps.

When I started I thought I might hop up the second motor until I found out it was a glorified paper weight. I also tried to source an atc 200x bottom end but that proved to be out of my price range. I also tried sourcing an atc 200x cam but couldn't find one for what I felt was a reasonable price. I'm just not having luck with engines right now. Come tax return season I should have the money to build a motor how I want it. For what its worth I have an atc 200x aftermarket exaust on the way. I had to switch it up to make room for the swing arm. I'm really hoping I get away with a couple of quick brackets for installation.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

--

Small Update

As promised here is a picture of the painted frame. It's far from perfect but I think it looks pretty good.

And some previous work, I painted the axle carrier, drum and dust shield.

Got the air filter delivered, oiled and installed in the air box.

Also got in some folding foot pegs because I dislike the stock rubber ones. My feet always seem to slip off.

1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

zeeker1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Well now, I'm just tickled to death that I sold that piece to a member who is actually gonna use it. Keep the pics coming. Are you going to use the rear shock as you bought it or have it re-built? If there's any questions I can answer, feel free to ask and keep up the good work...............zeeker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01846.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	236068

--
    Planning on using it the way I got it. It looks like it's in good shape. If I have any problems I'll have it rebuilt. I'm off monday so I'm hoping I'll get alot of work done. I know all the rubber is supposed to show up soon so I'll have to get the wheels ready for paint. I have alot of parts on the way hopefully they show up in a timely manor. I'm excited to ride this.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

--

Update

Just a little update 3ww. As promised Monday was a productive day. I got off Sunday night and stayed up most of Monday doing stuff until I crashed. Like most productive days it was spent with many trips to and from parts places. I got the hubs and engine mounts stripped and painted. I got the old tires dismounted at a local tire shop and the wheels stripped (That was a job) and painted. I also got the old steering stem removed (also a job) and the adapter installed. I'm currently trying to figure out spacing then I'm ready for reassembly. A lot of parts were also delivered the boxes include. Shock boots, Grab bar, Exhaust pipe and gasket, front/rear tires. Below are a couple pictures. Sorry It's not much of an update, But I feel like the stem is a real milestone in this build.

1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

--
    Will you be attending trikefest for2017? Dang, now I wanna build one. You don't see to many of these. She's looking great

--
    Who's that over on the couch???
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--

Update

Will you be attending trikefest for2017? Dang, now I wanna build one. You don't see to many of these. She's looking great
    I have made plans to make it to the last two trikefests and something always comes up so I cant make it. Changes in employment and vehicle trouble are the reasons I haven't made it yet. This year I am going to be making real plans. In fact I was truck shopping today and one of my priorities are that it be able to haul me and my stuff to trikefest. Also I actually like my job now so I don't see me changing employment again any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post
    Who's that over on the couch???
    That would be chance and shadow. Shadow is a miniature dachshun. Chance is a jack russell and beagle. Both are great dogs chance is a rescue he was found roaming the streets. I was told he came from an abusive home when we adopted him. Shadow came from a family member. I had a miniature dachshun as a kid and loved her so I wanted another one. And to anyone wondering yes I also have a cat named sassy.

Last edited by Hopper055; 10-26-2016 at 11:47 PM.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

--
    Well I'll be looking forward to meeting you and checking out that suspended s!

--
    Well I'll be looking forward to meeting you and checking out that suspended s!
    Sure thing man. Can't wait to meet you and other people on this fourm.

Didn't get much done yesterday.
    Last edited by Hopper055; 10-27-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //