//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 honda 250r coolant system?

--

1985 honda 250r coolant system?

I have a 1985 250r atc, the drain plug on the cylinder is leaking do I need a new drain plug or just the copper washer, if so where can I get one?
    Last edited by hitmeup760; 10-24-2016 at 03:34 PM.

--
    No it should not be dry, and yes coolant should come out. The drain hole is either plugged, you have an air pocket down in the waterpump, or you did this with the radiator cap on, and you've got a really air-tight cooling system. When I refill the cooling system, I fill the radiator to just below the radiator filler neck, then squeeze each radiator hose a few times to pump out the air (being careful to not squeeze so hard that I overflow coolant out of the filler neck). When you do this, you'll see & hear air bubble out through the radiator filler neck, and the coolant level will gradually drop down. Once the coolant level ceases to drop, you can stop pumping the hoses, top off the coolant, and reinstall the radiator cap. Stay cool!
    Last edited by Red Rider; 10-21-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Lost my cool & mis-typed.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    No it should not be dry, and yes coolant should come out. The drain hole is either plugged, you have an air pocket down in the waterpump, or you did this with the radiator cap on, and you've got a really air-tight coolant system. When I refill the cooling system, I fill the radiator to just below the radiator filler neck, then squeeze each radiator hose a few times to pump out the air (being careful to not squeeze so hard that I overflow coolant out of the filler neck). When you do this, you'll see & hear air bubble out through the radiator filler neck, and the coolant level will gradually drop down. Once the coolant level ceases to drop, you can stop pumping the hoses, top off the coolant, and reinstall the radiator cap. Stay cool!
    I like that! Squeezing the hoses is a great alternative to starting the bike with the cap off and filling once the coolant drops. Great bit of info!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I like that! Squeezing the hoses is a great alternative to starting the bike with the cap off and filling once the coolant drops. Great bit of info!
    Plus all of the lovin', touchin' & squeezin' will put you & your ride at one with one another.

--
    Well there has never been a leak on this bike before so I know the coolant system is air tight, I squeezed the hoses to make sure there wasn't any air pockets in them and the coolant level dropped so I topped it off, how do I unclog the drain plug on the water pump, do I have to remove the water pump cover?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmeup760 View Post
    Well there has never been a leak on this bike before so I know the coolant system is air tight, I squeezed the hoses to make sure there wasn't any air pockets in them and the coolant level dropped so I topped it off, how do I unclog the drain plug on the water pump, do I have to remove the water pump cover?
    Removing the water pump cover can be a pain, especially if the gaskets have "glued" themselves to the cover. They don't give you much to grab onto. The Honda has a thin metal plate and 2 gaskets on either side, which you may have to replace if you take it off. Start with what is easy. Get a small screw driver and gently poke the hole. With some pressure behind it you may remove the obstruction.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmeup760 View Post
    Well there has never been a leak on this bike before so I know the coolant system is air tight, ... how do I unclog the drain plug on the water pump, do I have to remove the water pump cover?
    When you pulled the drain plug, was the radiator cap tightly installed? If so, and your cooling system is air-tight, nothing will come out of the drain hole, except maybe a drop of coolant. If the radiator cap was off when you pulled the plug, and nothing came out of the drain hole, then you have something obstructing the drain hole.

How did you get the coolant out the first time when you flushed the system? Did any coolant come out of the drain hole then?

--
    No, coolant just came out of the drain hole on the cylinder nothing came out of the drain plug from the water pump cover but I'm going to check it today and see if it comes out without the cap on cuz I don't remember if I had the cover on or off when I checked it, but I will post updates tomorrow on how it's going.

--
    Christph that did the trick, took a pick and removed some silicone and dirt and she started flowing like new, thanks a lot RED RIDER and CHRISTOPHER for all the advice you guys are baddass!

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1477339237334-141639779.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	236132
    Progress, after a quick clean with scotch bright it stopped leaking.

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    Thanks, this is how it's coming along so far...

Name:	1477586304303-2140723029.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	236233

Name:	1477586378834-569854806.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	236234

Name:	1477586447274208125578.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	236235

Name:	1477586489796-95741429.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	236236

Name:	14775865504541096860977.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	236237
    So far the build has been fun and all the advice I've gotten on it has been from this site as well as the service manual.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //