//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Honda 185 doesn't have mount for decompression cable

--

Honda 185 doesn't have mount for decompression cable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0583.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	236133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	236134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0582.JPG 
Views:	930 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	236135Sorry for the long title, but didn't want to get mixed in with the "missing " decompression cable threads.

I've done some searching and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I just bought my first three wheeler, was told it's a 1984 Honda 185. But there is no information plate on the forks. Rode it a few times and of course my recoil breaks on me. Watch some videos on how to repair it, and it's pretty simple. Besides the fact that I don't even have the mounts for the decompression cable.

Just to be clear, what I mean is, the motor isn't even drilled and tapped for the decompression cable. The decompression lever is there, but it doesn't look like the standard levers that take the cable/mount. Is it just meant to be lifted manually? The recoil cover has the hole for the cable, but no cable, no mounts for the cable, and none of the decompression parts, (spring, spool, etc) in the recoil.

I basically need to know why it doesn't have the mounts for the decompression cable, so I can figure out the right way to rebuild the recoil. I'm new, so I don't think I can post pictures yet.
    Last edited by Nutsicles; 10-24-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Add pictures

jonolanracin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It does not have a cable just a lrver you pull up to engage

--
    Thanks for the quick reply. Tried searching, but everything coming up was just topics on the cable missing.

So since my recoil cover has the whole for the cable/grommet, what should I use to seal it up? Was thinking jb weld until I can find a cover that doesn't have the extra hole. But I'm worried about that cracking and crumbling into the recoil.

--
    I personally wouldn't use something permanent like an epoxy such as JB weld. It's a quick way to ruin a perfectly good pullstart. No mechanically, but visually. I would try something that can be easily removed so if you do end up finding someone to swap recoils with you or if you end up selling it when you get the correct one, someone will still want it.

You probably have a 200s recoil though. They had a cable.

Honestly if you don't ride through deep water I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

--
    How about one of these?

https://www.caplugs.com/series/Butto...eads/1046.html

Id plug it up and ride it!
    I believe i have the correct lever for the pull start decomp cable kicking around somewhere if you have all the other decompression parts and want to go that route.

That said if you get it tuned right where it starts in 1-3 pulls, just flipping the lever up by hand is much more reliable and simpler than dealing with and trying to find all those discontinued decompression parts if you don't already have them...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

TwiZ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutsicles View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Tried searching, but everything coming up was just topics on the cable missing.

So since my recoil cover has the whole for the cable/grommet, what should I use to seal it up? Was thinking jb weld until I can find a cover that doesn't have the extra hole. But I'm worried about that cracking and crumbling into the recoil.
    On my 200s i took a piece of plastic,from one of those carry tote lids acut it to cover hole and used permatex to hold/seal in placeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	236160
    Been like this for 2 years. I just manually flip it,may have to give a lil pull sometimes so it will set. Works for me. Or you could go like atc185 said and give it a cleaner more "factory look"The 185 was a manual one, and like ghost said its prolly off a 200s or 185s
    Last edited by TwiZ; 10-25-2016 at 05:08 PM.

1984 Honda 200X
    1984 Honda 200S Bonecrusher
    1975 Jeep CJ5

--
    Thanks for the help everyone. Awesome link ATC185.

I took it apart today, and figured out why it broke. Whoever put it together last, did a hack job. They didn't install the springs for the pawls, and it was also missing the main housing gasket. They used washers as spacers between the housing and housing cover.

Found some new pawl springs, and gasket on the auction site. Recoil spring was still decent, but I ordered a new one anyway. I'll check out the hardware store for a rubber plug that'll fit the hole for the cable, until I can find the correct housing.

Just want to get her running solid for ice fishing this year. Wanted to restore it, but she's pretty beat. Would probably be cheaper to keep it for parts and find one that hasn't been painted, and Frankensteind together. I'll post some pics in a few. Let's just say, she's America AF!!!

--
    Here she is, Lady Freedom!!!!!

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	236165

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	236166

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	236167

--
    Not sure why my pics are coming up sideways, stupid iPhone.

It runs good, doesn't smoke, etc. Although, when I start it, and I'm shifted all the way down, (which is supposed to be neutral), it's actually in gear. If I give it throttle it goes. The shift pattern is Neutral all the way down, and 5 up correct?

But like I said, I think it's a frankenbike. I was told it's a 84 185S, but since it doesn't have the decompression cable, that would make it a pre 1982 185, according to the link 83ATC185 posted. But, I didn't think the earlier models had front suspension. Maybe someone put a earlier motor in a 185S frame?

Anyways, It's missing the air box, just has a K&N style cone filter on it. Missing the chain guard, seat is almost nonexistent, front plastic is stitched, rear plastic is ok, but has been drilled/lights mounted. Overall not too bad. But it would be cheaper to buy a nicer one, than all the work it would take to restore it. So, I'll just keep it as a spare for buddies.

--
    You can run the vins through the decoder on the site and figure out the year of production. Pre 1985 would be downshift pattern (neutral all the way up and first gear is down one) and 1985 and after would be upshift (neutral all the way down and first gear being one up). With exceptions like the 250r. But it does look like parts from a few different machines.

Not gonna lie I kinda like the fender mounted tail lights and side marker lights. Nothing wrong with a trusty beater trike you won't be afraid to get dirty.

--
    Trail Pros!! Or the knockoffs,cant tell. Did a old guy own this? LOL....its got a certain cool factor to it. I like it.Look up the vin like ghost said. Whats the tire size?185 had 25" where the 185s had 23" It almost looks like a S. I see it has the old style kill switch on the throttle,and the lever for decompression looks to be a manual style like a 185,as there isnt a spot to lock the cable on for decomp.,which maybe it has a 185 motor and other parts from a 185 in a S frame.My 84 200s is all down on the shifting. Check your end play on the shifter,maybe the clutch needs adjusted is why your having shift issues?.
    Last edited by TwiZ; 10-26-2016 at 07:11 AM.

1984 Honda 200X
    1975 Jeep CJ5

--
    Trail Pros!! Or the knockoffs,cant tell. Did a old guy own this? LOL....its got a certain cool factor to it. Look up the vin like ghost said. Whats the tire size? My 84 200s is all down on the shifting. Check your end play on the shifter,maybe the clutch needs adjusted is why your having shift issues?. There wasnt a 1984 185 or a 84 185s,in 84 they went to the 200s,i wasnt sure about this so i looked and found this... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content...Technical-Data
    Looks like i screwed up editing and somehow did a double post.oops

1984 Honda 200X
    1975 Jeep CJ5

--
    The white plastic is cool

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //