//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HONDA ATC's - did the engineers think of everything?

--

HONDA ATC's - did the engineers think of everything?

The more I work on various years/models of HONDA ATC's, the more I notice how well designed they are. From the simple little things, to the more complex engineer feats, I am hardpressed to find something that HONDA coulda/shoulda done differently.

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed any manufacturing design flaws on any of the ATC models? Consider too the technology that was available 30 years ago...
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    I agree 100%. It seems Honda always strived for the best.

They always made some of the smallest changes that were remarkably genius!!

Changing things just a mm or 2.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I've heard guys say that even the quality of fasteners is better on Honda vs. other Japaneese mfgs. Better threads, less strippage, better quality frames. Look at how many of the 30+ year old machines still out their running. I wonder if their craftsmanship now in 2016 is as good as the stuff was from the 80's?

--
    For what they were back in the day, they were the best. Simple.

Both of my current Hondas are still on their original bore and rings. Run like a top almost 30 years later and don't even smoke. One of them being my dads 200s I was given that he bought brand new in 85'. That's my ride of choice, I take it everywhere. Nothing more reliable than my hardtail.

How many 450's will be running without their engines opened up 30 years from now? Probably only ones still in the crate lol.

Yamaha on the other hand....

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Frame design comes to mind for me. Haven't had a frame Crack on me but it will happen someday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    The 200E and 200ES front suspension... calling it flawed would be a colossal understatement!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    ATC 250SX, the best production bike hands down right out of the box in my opinion. So versatile, dependable, powerful, capable, yet some of the worst carburetor placement of all time. It amazes me that came from a Honda factory because most of the time I'm so impressed.

The opposite of a flaw, but rather a huge strong point of Honda in my opinion is the ability to remove the seat and rear fenders all at flick of a lever. Every time I'm working on a non-Honda I'm reminded how much of a convenience that is.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley250R View Post
    ...even the quality of fasteners is better on Honda...
    Ha ha...funny you mention that Hurley. It's while removing countless bolts on these 30+ year old machines, only to see the original yellow/gold zinc coating still as shiny as day one, that got me thinking of this thread!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    The 200E and 200ES front suspension... calling it flawed would be a colossal understatement!
    Good point Tripledog! Well there's one against Honda
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    ATC 250SX...the worst carburetor placement of all time. It amazes me that came from a Honda factory because most of the time I'm so impressed.
    Another good point. I just rebuild the carb in my recent 250SX purchase (thanks again for you help Jim - flyingw)...and the hardest/most time consuming part about the whole job was removing/installing the carburetor from the frame!!!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    A big influence on engineering decisions is price point. I am very impressed with the quality of ATC's and how relatively cheap you could get them back when they were new. It seems dirt bikes and ATV's are relatively more expensive now than what they were back then. Maybe not. Anybody know what the dollar was worth back in the 80's?

TwiZ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    ATC 250SX, the best production bike hands down right out of the box in my opinion. So versatile, dependable, powerful, capable, yet some of the worst carburetor placement of all time. It amazes me that came from a Honda factory because most of the time I'm so impressed.

The opposite of a flaw, but rather a huge strong point of Honda in my opinion is the ability to remove the seat and rear fenders all at flick of a lever. Every time I'm working on a non-Honda I'm reminded how much of a convenience that is.
    I totally agree with everthing you wrote. The sx is a awesome machine,hands down their best all around machine,and have always wanted one. My son has a suzuki quadrunner and when ya work on it and pull the fenders i have to get a container to put the big handfull f bolts in that hold everything on. My X,flip a rod over and off it comes. And as said by others Honda is hands down the best of manufacturers. About a month ago i had to re ring my 200s,(in my area we call what you guys call a hardtail,we call bone crushers),and all i had to do was hone it,put new rings and valve seals and runs graet. Not that it didnt before freshening it up,just smoked pretty good,and it was the first time the motor was tore down.
    Last edited by TwiZ; 10-25-2016 at 07:26 PM.

1984 Honda 200X
    1984 Honda 200S Bonecrusher
    1975 Jeep CJ5

--
    I am a Honda fan myself. As mentioned above hardware is first class. Nothing like taking a bolt out after 'X' amount of years...

I think Honda could have put a grease fitting in the swinger pivot and the rear carrier. I have a '83 200X. Seen some people having a problem getting the pivot bolt out as it is all seized up. I can see why they did not but 1 on the carrier as grease 'may' get on the rear disc. Very minor.

My snowblower and the engine on my pressure washer are Honda.

TwiZ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Herboso View Post
    A big influence on engineering decisions is price point. I am very impressed with the quality of ATC's and how relatively cheap you could get them back when they were new. It seems dirt bikes and ATV's are relatively more expensive now than what they were back then. Maybe not. Anybody know what the dollar was worth back in the 80's?
    No,but a brand new 1985 350x was $1800

Rob,when i had mine apart i put zerk fittings on front hub(removed seal on one side of sealed bearing,rear too)goose neck,swing arm(drilled a cpl small holes in pipe that slides over bolt and made tiny grooves the lenth of it) and rear bearings. Rear bearings were always a high wear item on all these bikes with the same bearings,been running this set for over a year,where before i was lucky to get a summer out of a set
    Last edited by TwiZ; 10-25-2016 at 07:59 PM.

1984 Honda 200X
    1984 Honda 200S Bonecrusher
    1975 Jeep CJ5

--
    I wish the quality of the honda bolts are the same as they used to me. I have a 2015 crf250l and half of the stock bolts are "butter" bolts, they are so easy to strip the head on, its not even funny. Maybe its just the cheap stuff for this bike, but it really put a bad taste on them. I also didn't like how half of the bolts are so over-torqued that they were hard to get out and broke/stripped the bolts. To get the bolts out that held in the rear shock I had to use impact sockets, 6 point wrench and 1/2" 500 ft/lb impact wrench. Thats wayyyyyyy too tight for anything short of something that isn't meant to ever be removed.
    Last edited by deathman53; 10-25-2016 at 08:14 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //