//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 atc250 starting problems

--

1984 atc250 starting problems

Hey guys
    Ivan here from Australia, I have a 200es and just purchased an 1984 atc250r! When I brought it, it started straight away, then after riding for ten mins, it completely stopped! I couldn't get it started for 45 mins! It got to the point that my right leg was so sore! Are they hard to kick over? New to the atc250. What do you guys suggest? Clean the fuel tank, carby and buy a new plug?
    Thanks Ivan

--
    What i always do is make sure I'm getting spark,check this when the bike isn't starting. If your getting spark then you have a fuel issues.I just got my 81 running and it's a lot of fun.good luck

--
    Ritz, yes it does have spark when it isn't running. What do you suggest to do next? Clean out the while fuel tank and carby?
    Thanks Ivan all new to the atc250, my first purchase

--
    Is the plug wet when u check to see if it's sparking. If not wet it's not getting fuel. Also is it a nice strong spark. Is that 250in avatar, it's a nice looking bike

--
    I'm not sure if you've been to it but air foolers is another good forum for the 250r

--
    Ritz the plug is wet, but it doesn't look like the strongest spark.

--
    When the bike is cold check the spark, see if it's better then when the bike won't start. If it's better when it's cold I would thank your coil is getting bad. Warms up weak spark cools off good spark. Hope this helps

--
    I was reading someone else thread they were having same problem and they suggested that the stator could be going bad or maybe vapor lock. When bike dies open gas cap and see if it will start. As for stator I would get a manual and see how test it

--
    Thanks Ritz i will try tonight and see how i go

--
    Ritz, I put a new plug in it and sprayed a bit of starting fluid down the barrel before I put the plug in! Opened the gas cap and it started first kick! Then I put the gas cap back on and rode for about 15 mins then it died! They I couldn't start it again! Maybe I should have tried to open the gas cap and try to start it! I'll try that on the weekend! Is my gas cap blocked? What should I do? Thanks Ivan

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan-083 View Post
    Ritz, I put a new plug in it and sprayed a bit of starting fluid down the barrel before I put the plug in! Opened the gas cap and it started first kick! Then I put the gas cap back on and rode for about 15 mins then it died! They I couldn't start it again! Maybe I should have tried to open the gas cap and try to start it! I'll try that on the weekend! Is my gas cap blocked? What should I do? Thanks Ivan
    See if you can blow through the vent hose into the cap with your mouth. There should be a little restriction, but you should be able to blow through both the vent hose and cap. If you can't, then your cap is clogged.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Thanks for the information yaegerb! I'll try tomorrow and see!

--
    Yaegerb, the cap is fine I can blow through it! It looks like it's got a weak spark! So I put my ignition coil from the 200es and it still won't start? Any suggestions?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //