//ArrowChat Code
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Live 3Wheeling Magazine

--
    If I remember right my first was a Honda ATC 190!?!? I need to get some old pics from my parents to scan in and show but I remember it having the bigest tires of the time and the new similar trikes were all 185s. So I'm think'n it's model year to be 80-81? & I got it around 83. No front suspension, or rear for that matter, all in the tires and boy would that thing bounce. I also remember going as fast as it could on the old highway near my house and the front tire would expand so much it wore a hole in the front fender! Damn that was funny, had to ducktape it so the mud wouldn't spatter out it. Glad to not have to pull start anymore either. I remember try'n to pull that thing in sub 0 weather and it could take 20 min pluss just to get it to turn over. Some winter days in Wyoming you could NEVER pull start a bike like that, just too damn cold. Funny thing is I just haven't read anything about there being any 190s before the 185s on here though, so is my memory failing already.... jees

I'd kind of like to have it again now for collector / nestalgic reasons. I kept it clean & it always kept on chugg'n.

--
    Gday ,

I would love to hear some of your stories. Nothing like a good story. Sounds like you and your mates had some good times. Tell as many as you want.

Much Appreciated,

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atcmatt
    Gday ,

I would love to hear some of your stories. Nothing like a good story. Sounds like you and your mates had some good times. Tell as many as you want.

Much Appreciated,

Matt
    Well first some background is in order. Keep in mind I was between the ages of 12 and 17 for most of this.

I lived in an area that I could just ride from my garage to the place I wanted to ride at. No hauling the bikes. But, to do that I had to go down this 20 foot wide, half mile long stretch of dirt next to a farmers sod field. As we later verified, the farmer did not own this stretch of dirt but he used it and claimed it as his own. He was a real trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro type of person. Hated the world. He tried making it impossible for us to traverse this stretch by dumping shitloads of dirt there which just made it much more fun and when he saw that, he just got more pissed off at us. At this point none of us had ever damaged his crops. Not on his sod field or any of his surrounding corn fields. This stretch of land was all we ever used and it wasn't even his but he's the one that started all the nonsense. He ended up buying a 200s and chasing after us several times and the son of a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro even shot rocksalt at us with a shotgun (and that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro hurts even from a distance). During this time the cops started harassing us too (gee, I wonder who called them). A couple of my friends got stopped by the police (off road mind you) and the cops just impounded their bikes on the spot. No warnings, nothing.

The rocksalt shotgun and the police harassment were the last straw. The entire group of us (four 200x's, three 250r's and several dirt bikes) just destroyed the guys sod field in the middle of the night during a rain storm and from that night forward, the corn fields were fair game too. No more stopping for the Police either. They'd have to catch us.

I had to go downtown for questioning over the sod field damage. However, nobody saw anything and we all knew it (besides that, most of us had similar bikes and similar helmets so nobody could tell us apart anyway). No charges were ever filed.

The Police started getting extremely aggressive at trying to catch us after that. We found out that if they didn't actually catch us on the bikes, there wasn't anything they could do. They knew who we were and where we lived but due to the similarities between bikes and gear (not a coincidence by the way) they had no case against anyone. Getting chased by (sometimes multiple) squad cars was almost a daily occurence for a long time. The city put up fences trying to block out paths to certain places. The cops even harassed us on PRIVATE PROPERTY that we had written permission to ride on if you can believe that.

The fun part though, was that we quickly realized they couldn't catch us as long as we stayed alert and didn't let them catch us in a trap. After that, the game was on! We humiliated the cops routinely. The guys on the 250r's especially had fun with them (I had a 200x when this all got started). They'd actually stop when they'd reach the railroad tracks and let them catch up! The railroad tracks were always like our safety net. If you can get to the tracks before they catch you, you were home free. After a while we stopped giving a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about riding only off road (since they harassed us anywhere we went, why bother obeying the laws anymore). We'd ride straight down the street in traffic. Pulling up to the gas station was nerve wracking though. That's when we were always vulnerable.

So that's the back story. Looking back now some of the things we did were not only extremely dangerous (some of the chases defy description, you wouldn't believe me if I told you, really). I'll tell you a few though. Only time for one right now. I have to go get some dinner after this.

Ok, a friend of mine pulled his car into the city park one night so he could make out with his girlfriend in the dark. Problem was, it rained that day so he got stuck on one of the baseball diamonds. I heard all the noise he was making trying to get out so I went out there with my friends that were over to see what was up. We tried to help him but he was completely stuck. Had to call a tow truck.

While we were waiting for the tow truck, a cop pulled into the parking lot and setup a speed trap. He has no idea we were back there and how much damage my friends car had done to the park at this point. The tow truck was going to be there any second so we called upon my best friends little brother Marky. He had a 1982 CR80 dirt bike in my back yard (my 200x was down for repairs this time). We said to him, go get on your bike and get that cop to chase you out of here! He agreed. Cop didn't take the bait the first time so when he got back we made him do it again but this time, we told him to do a donut right in front of him and flip him the bird before taking off. That did the trick! Funniest damn thing I ever saw. Cop took off after him that time and I swear not two minutes later the tow truck pulled in, got the car out of the mud and everyone got away scott free!

--
    Great Story I really enjoyed that, in fact i enjoyed it so much i showed it to my dad who just laughed...Sounds like you terrors used to have alot of fun with those cops and that old cranky farmer.
    If you have any more stories and a bit of spare time dont hesitate to write more up. Im sure everyone would be grateful. I know i would be

Thanks,

Matt

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by atcmatt
    Great Story

Sounds like you terrors used to have alot of fun with those cops and that old cranky farmer.

Thanks,

Matt
    Not just the cops and the farmer.

My very first rebelious act with my 200x.

Last day of school. 6th grade. I had just turned 12 and only had the bike for a few months. I was a bit of a problem child all through school. Not sure why really but I was always in trouble for one thing or another. Had a problem with authority I guess. Anyway, I got into it with my school principle on the last day of school. It was lunch hour and I think I just popped a bag really loud or something. I can't even remember. I didn't realize the principle was right behind me. He had this hard-on for paddling kids but I would never let him hit me. I'd just stand there and argue with him and knock his hands away when he tried to grab me (god... think of what would happen to a principle if they were to try that in this day and age). So after arguing with him for a couple of minutes he kicks me out. Tells me to go home. Now keep in mind I was bussed to school. It was a few miles from my house and this guy kicks me out, doesn't let me call anyone and had been a pain in my ass for the last three years.

So I start walking home. A large section of woods that we all rode in was on the way home so I cut through there. Luckily a couple of my riding buddies had cut school that day (they were older than me, high schoolers) and gave me a ride home. So, about twenty minutes after he kicks me out in front of the entire lunch room, I show up on the 200x. Full face Simpson helmet with tinted goggle lenses and all. My class is out at recess so I buzz the crowd to make sure they watch as I ride over to the window in front of my (now former) principle's office. Last day of school means it's spring time. In Ohio. That means it's pretty muddy from the spring rains and snow melt. I stopped right outside his window and rev the engine. I can see his bald, shining head through the window slowly turn around to see what the noise is. I wave. And then commence the biggest, messiest donut I had ever done in my life. Got grass and mud all over his windows (and some on the classroom next to his office). My classmates were on the playground laughing and cheering me on as I rode off into the mid-day sun, victorious.

I realize the sillyness of that one now as an adult. But, at the time, it was the coolest thing I had ever done.

--
    LMAO!!! Sounds like something that happens in my dreams...

That was a great story!!!

Thanks

Matt

350xsx is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    haha some of your stories sound just like mine, to get to where i ride i have to ride down the NJ Parkway(i think they call em expressways by you or somethin)anyways a big 4 lane highway, we get the state police after us and everything, they chase us with Recons and everything to, to get to woods we also have to on the sides of a farmers field but he doesnt care cuz we go slow and dont mess anything up.we lose them by the time we get to our houses though

bbechtel16 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    :rofl: I loved those stories !
    -'86 ATC 250SX: No longer mine... Complete 350X front end, Corbra Megaphone system, 350X carb with UNI dual stage foam & outerwear bolted driectly up, Powroll/Rocky 260cc bore 10.5 to 1 compression piston.

--
    hi there i have recently come across this great site i think its great how many people love these trikes .
    i cant belive they stopped making them why did they?

--
    Too True! Don't know why they don't start making them again? Nothing stopping them really, just propaganda generated from ignorance. The bikes are still being riden the same as they were before they were "banned", if the government was so concerned about the "unstable nature" and "fundamentally inherited design flaws", they should have completely outlawed their use! Further more if the American Government banned the import of Trikes, they should at least ban Quads too, if they are really concerned over stablity. I run a Quad biking center and see plently of fools stack four wheelers just as, if not, more easily, than trikes, the false sense of security from four wheels, people get complacent and don't respect the bike or themselves!
    Driving all motorized vehicles is dangerous, deadly etc etc.... but it is'ent the vehicle thats the danger it's the ignorant begger that's doing the driving that's the danger!
    We suffered, for other fools.
    Things that make you go...VROOOOM!
    1981 Honda 110
    1983 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 350X
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es
    1986 Honda 250R
    1985 Yamaha YTZ250N
    Now been told "Thats enough" - NEVER!!

mad_max is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild250R
    .... the false sense of security from four wheels, people get complacent and don't respect the bike or themselves!
    Driving all motorized vehicles is dangerous, deadly etc etc....

RIGHT ON!!! I'd guess that 99.9% of the people on this board would agree with you.
    Cheers

wizzard is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Dude ! I grew up begging my parents for the money to buy that magazine each month. It's great to here from you and know that you are doing well.
    GOD Bless, wizzard
    '85 Tecate-project due....2029
    '85 350X

--
    i want to see those 3 wheeln magazines

--
    , those stories were awesome man!
    Rides:
    82 atc 200e
    83 atc 200e
    76 chevy k20 custom deluxe
    01 ford f250 diesel