//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Live 3Wheeling Magazine

--
    Okay, I thought of one cool trip we once took to the Buttercup Sand Dunes near Yuma, AZ..... This would be about 1986 or so, and Tracey Dickson, Stevie Wright and other riders went out to dune our brains out. Tracey "borrowed" a few extra ATC 250R factory bikes from the team trailer (fitted with Paul Turner engines, etc!), pulled the short track tires off, changed the gear and installed paddle tires, and we had a ball. We stopped by a dune and watched some local ATC riders jump this one large dune, when all of a sudden, Marty Hart shows up on his race ATC! Marty watches this guy get about 6' of air, and decided to try one for the troops. Next thing we know Marty flies this ATC like no one else, and everyone cheered! It was unbelievable.

--
    Welcome Dean. Thanks for sharing your awesome stories and info with us. We look forward to hearing more from you :-D
    Current trikes owned
    85 Honda 250es - awesome trike
    84 Honda 200M - great little machine
    www.geocities.com/trikeworld/ATC200M.html

--
    One of the coolest conversions we ever did was to install a 200S engine/tranny into an ATC200X frame. What we ended up building was a one-off, 200X Automatic! We still used a rope starter from the 200S, and had to make a new brake lever. The top mount was a mismatch from the 200X and 200S. It was super easy to ride, and freaked a lot of people out. Even Honda asked to ride that one.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart
    One of the coolest conversions we ever did was to install a 200S engine/tranny into an ATC200X frame. What we ended up building was a one-off, 200X Automatic! We still used a rope starter from the 200S, and had to make a new brake lever. The top mount was a mismatch from the 200X and 200S. It was super easy to ride, and freaked a lot of people out. Even Honda asked to ride that one.....
    If I'm not misteaken, someone on here has one :?
    [20:55] <waterpumper> putting a racing pipe on a Foreman is like putting a high dollar bikini on a 400 pound chick...just because it fits doesn't mean it looks cool

--
    blazerone22 has a 200x automatic. his 14yr old daughter rides it. he built it himself. i have included a link to his website where there is a picture of it and his other toys. http://oregontrikes.20megsfree.com/index.html
    Tim is the name
    85 350X(86 motor)
    83 200X(stripped down for a total rebuild)
    85 200S(project)

--
    Dean,

I remember that issue of 3 Wheeling when you guys did that. It was a great job and idea.

Could you tell me more about the ATC 450R you rode? Was it the factory prototype test model that Marty Hart talked about? Or was it a racing one-off model just for the racing guys.

Do you have any pics you could post?

What did you think of the 86 Tri Z versuse the other 250cc 3 wheelers? Interesting in 86 ATV News had a shootout as you may recall and crowed the Tri Z the winner.

Was the 86 that much improved over the 85?

Thanks a million and your work really made my childhood years memorable...thanks a million for the memories!

Darius

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

--
    whats up, Deano?

I'm one of the younger readers, but I remember seeing your name in alot of stuff when I was young. Im just about 19 now and I got alot of old mags from a freind and its cool to be able to visually remember when the mags genuinley interested me (I dont really care about quads). It's always cool to see some of the old 3 wheeler guys come to a site that some enthusiast that met on the 'net made and give us props.

--
    Admin:

can you guys make this a sticky. I would be great to have a collection of 3 wheeler stories, tech data, and information from Dean. He is really one of the few insiders who actually worked in the industry.

Shoot...he even rode an 87 250R....we need to keep this topic alive!!

Darius

SEND ME PM HERE - CLICK HERE

1986 ATC 250r, 1986 Tri Z, 1990 LT 500R "Quadzilla"

Dirtbikes:

1994 KTM 550 MXC (yes its a two stroke...66 hp stock!)
    1988 Yamaha DT

jason200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I agree. Where is dean? Haven't heard from him in a while. Id like to know what he al did to his trikes performance wise and if he is interested in getign back into trikeing. Im shure someone would be more then happy to hook him up with a good deal on here.

--
    please!!!!! tell us about the first tiger 500 test!!!! i remember buying that issue, i was drooling over the tiger!!! that test must have been amazing!!!
    85 250sx
    91 polaris trailboss 4x4(sold,what a mistake)
    85 125m

i want a tiger 500 sooooo bad.........

--
    Sorry, I've been busy working on Hot VWs magazine deadline..... I didn't have a chance to ride the Tiger 500 race-version. I think Craig Corda did most of the test riding in Plaster City, CA (near El Centro). I remember the photo session, out by the mud hills.

--
    what were the differences between the race version of the tiger and the public version?
    85 250sx
    91 polaris trailboss 4x4(sold,what a mistake)
    85 125m

i want a tiger 500 sooooo bad.........

--
    On the Tiger 500, in Typical "Corda" mode, the porting would be much wilder, larger carb, hand-built pipe and different gearing. Basically, making a monster 3-wheeler, that much more radical!

--
    Here's one for you Tri-Z fans. When Yamaha first released the new bodywork.... white and red, instead of yellow and black, Europe was still behind times. When Brett Driscoll got a chance to ride a Tri-Z for the Yamaha factory in Holland, we took all of the late plastic on the airplane, and when we arrived in Rotterdam, we switched all of plastic, spray bomb painted the frame red, instead of yellow, to make their trike look like a new one. After the race, we took all of the new plastic off, and returned it to its original colors. So, everyone in Euorpe thought that we air-freighted a brand new Tri-Z for this race! Fun stuff. I still have the red-white-blue Team Yamaha Works mechanic's suit that they gave us, in my closet.

--
    lol.. fooled em good!! Definatly gotta hear some more Tri Z stories!! Thanks for the world of knowledge you bring with you.. its nice to hear it from someone who has his facts straight, intead of a 14 year old with a yahoo half-ass truth search engine.
    I was 10 when the whole "3 wheelers will kill you" thing came down. We were talking about it last night in chat, and it brought up a lot of old memories.... to bad we dont have a time machine huh?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //