//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Honda 3CON - Modern Big Red

--
    Yea but who puts smaller tires on a big red ? Not trying to bash it at all but it's more of a modern SX than a ES.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Yea but who puts smaller tires on a big red ? Not trying to bash it at all but it's more of a modern SX than a ES.
    I agree 100% with your argument Specht. I did some looking and with the 22" tires, there is like zero room where the heel guards are for any larger tire. Pretty much stuck with 22" rears.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I think we need to find a rancher to cut up
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I'm pretty much done with her now. Have rear bearings and brakes to do yet - but that is it, besides the normal stuff - she needs an oil change. Anyway, got around to mounting a new front tire (Honda OEM Ohstu ) Yosemite Sam "Back Off" Mud-Flap, like I always wanted, and the new LED headlights! This sucker is BRIGHT! 34 LED's total. Pretty awesome!

Jake named it a very appropriate name last night - "Bubbles". Yes sir - this trike loves kitties, liquor, whores, dope, mustard, and bologna!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161207_213855462.jpg   IMG_20161207_213923675.jpg  
    Last edited by atctim; 12-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Tim that thing looks the absolute tits.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Now..... about that snow plow......

--
    I'm torn between the ohtsu making it look more like a factory atc or the fact that the tire SHOULD belong on a factory atc....

Still can't make up my mind.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Ghost remember even though this is not an original atc. It is still a honda and the only tires that should be stock tires on a honda should be ohtsu.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post
    Ghost remember even though this is not an original atc. It is still a honda and the only tires that should be stock tires on a honda should be ohtsu.
    Ohtsu aren't the only oem Honda tires.Dunlop also came stock on some Atcs
    250r rules

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    If there ends up being any issues with lightness in the front just pop a TrailPro on that puppy!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Regarding the Ohtsu front tire. I too was torn with what to run on it honestly. I have several of these tires, and it is the same size as a stock 250SX tire (this one comes off of a 200S and is like new save for a wee bit of weather checking). I even thought about putting 2 more of these Ohtsus on the back of this trike. Is it a stock ATC? Certainly not. But it certainly is similar to what a new one would be like........ and what is NOT a dumb quad part on this bike, is all totally ATC parts. I am very content and happy with this front tire and think it will work great for what this trike will be used for. I also think it looks great on there. I wish a tire manufacturer would come up with a nice designed 2-ply tire similar to these. Standard Cheng Shin knobbies are close, but just do not have the look or feel that the old ATC stock tires do.

Also - this thing lights up the night like no trike I have ever ridden. I mean this thing is like a "Champagne Super Nova". Lighting technology (albeit el cheapo lights from China) has come so far. I really can't even ride a stock ATC at night anymore because of lack of vision. I don't feel safe and wonder how I used to ride a lot at night with stock ATC lights. I thnk if you ride at night, LED lights are about the best upgrade going. The problem with hardtails and even 200Xs is that they use AC voltage for lights and that is no good for LEDs. You need a charging system with a regulator / rectifier to make it happen correctly. With this 3Con being somewhat modern, the LEDs are a perfect fit with no mods besides actually mounting them and hooking up to stock lighting wires.

Fabio - this will eventually (sooner than later - it's snowing here today) have a snow plow on the front. Basically once mounted, I will know what a Trail Pro will feel like on it. Snow Plows are a bit lighter and more agile than Trail Pros - but it will be close.

--
    As a follow up on this build, I have a lot of real world miles on this 3Con now. I am amazed at just how good this thing really is. It will run side by side with a 250ES Big Red down a dirt road a WOT. It will get to top speed faster than a 250ES, and it just plain feels more light an nimble. It is also more comfortable to me than any other trike I own. I would add that the bit of "longness" on the front helps with ergonomics for a big guy like me and is why it feels so comfortable. The ergonomics are fantastic. Since the original build I have added a few goodies. For one, I have been running 4SNOW tires on it. They are 2 ply tires and with about 2.2 psi in them, it really is fantastic on rough and rocky trails, with the tires soaking up any initial hard bumps and the suspension taking up the rest of it. The 4SNOW tires are also great in the mud, as they never load up. The thing will idle through super soft soaked ground without spinning a tire. Talk about "treading lightly" - this thing nearly floats on top of marsh areas with it's light foot prints. With riding at night on dirt roads, I had to do something about my headlights. Any oncoming traffic will be blinded by the 55 Watts of LEDs pointing them in the face. I added a little LED up on the handle bar cover. It is pretty dim in comparison to the big round dual lights, but it is now my low beams, it makes head on passes good for the other party involved. I also have added a class 3 receiver hitch to the rear. It is a Hondaline and made for the Recon, so it bolted right up. It's great for moving my trailers around, or general lawn work. It also looks great back there. I also added a Quad Boss rear cargo bag. It was too big for the rack, and that is why it is backwards in the picture. I kind of like it as is, but it does turn this machine into a 1-up rider. I will remedy with a new soft bag sometime. With the big Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flap on the front, it keeps the motor virtually mud free on muddy trails which is good for keeping the motor cool. It also keeps mud off of me. On a recent ride, a muddy one at that, I came home after riding all day cleaner than almost anyone else on that ride. It really does a good job, and who doesn't like Yosemite Sam? He's the rootin-est tootin-est coolest cat in the West!

As a side note, when I went in to rebuild the rear end with bearings and brakes, the 20 year old rear brake pads looked like brand new. Over the first 20 years of service, the rear brakes have never seen water or mud. Honda did a great job of sealing up the rear brake components on this model. As I compared the OEM 20 year old brake shoes to the new China made ones I bought on E-Bay, the originals showed virtually no signs of wear. Since I know the OEM Honda pads are great quality, I decided to re install them over the Chinko made ones. I was amazed at the fact that the 20 year old rear brake pads were still brand new looking. Amazing.

In two weeks I am taking this bike to the Hatfield McCoy trail system. I'll do another follow up after that ride, as the Rockhouse Trails are known for breaking frames and generally speaking being extremely hard on machines. I've personally seen 3 frames get broken on this trail system. Stay Tuned.................Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3con.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	242181
    Last edited by atctim; 04-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.

--
    Awesome,,,,and that couch rocks !
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    That is super friggin impressive Tim!!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Awesome,,,,and that couch rocks !
    On an unrelated note, this winter I did an overhaul to Tionesta Trikes HQ. I now have a separate "workshop" and a separate "Showroom & Bar & Lounge". In the past it was all merged as one large shop and would become a headache for me when I had projects going on with builds and wanted to entertain, kick back and relax, or just chill. I added insulation, steel walls, a 100,000 BTU natural gas furnace, and of course, red furniture. What else would one put in a Honda ATC lounge. I searched high and low, and found these couches on Amazon. They were very inexpensive and had free shipping. I couldn't pass it up (thanks China). I also recently got some awesome new bar stools off E-Bay. Check 'em out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170116_192349476.jpg   IMG_20170330_225429503.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //