//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda 3CON - Modern Big Red

--

Honda 3CON - Modern Big Red

So my cousin Jake and I have been kicking this idea around for several years. A modern budget built Big Red replacement. We (mainly he, but I was involved heavily also) have converted 4 TRX250EX quads to trikes over the years. It was always a fun project that we really have a science nailed down to. All of the 250EXs we did all had ATC200X front ends, as they are plentiful for parts, and are descent for that machine. These were not race machines by any means - more sport / trail riding so ATC200X front ends were a good fit. Using the Recon rather than the 250EX was what I envisioned having a modern day Big Red - fully racked and with a W I D E front end rather than the narrow versions previously. With all the parts in hand, we can build one of these in a weekend with ease. I had purchased this quad several years ago just for this, but we never got around to doing it - so we planned for Thanksgiving Weekend, and made it happen. This picture is how it sits right now - it will be getting a bit of refining - super cool LED headlight set up coming, Plow will be adapted to for for snow removal (as that was the main job of this quad), and new tires will be mounted.

As it sits now (needing brakes and wheel bearings all around) this thing handles extremely well. It feels really planted while riding it, and has good steering articulation - it turns sharp. It does not feel tippy in the least bit - it is extremely stable. Everything feels ergonomically perfect. We used an ATC250SX front end with an aftermarket ATC250SX front rack. The down tube and steering neck is ATC350X. Everything else is 100% stock Honda OEM Recon parts, including the brandy new fenders (front is Maier ATC250SX). I am feeling great about this build and am ready to finish it up and use it as my trail rider / Trikefest Cruiser for years to come. Also - it will plow my lane as it has so faithfully for years past into years to come! Trike on Trikers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161125_173608049.jpg   IMG_20161125_184557781.jpg   IMG_20161126_213721475.jpg   IMG_20161126_224119516.jpg   IMG_20161127_242807377.jpg  
    Last edited by atctim; 12-01-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Nice conversion. I think a conversion on one of the bigger cc 2x4 quads would be cool.Looks fun to ride.
    250r rules

--
    I like it! And....its Trump approved
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    That turned out great! Very cool sir! I'm curious why you went with the 250sx front end vs the 200x yall use to use?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    That turned out great! Very cool sir! I'm curious why you went with the 250sx front end vs the 200x yall use to use?
    He wanted a wide front end like he stated to keep the sport utility look. Which he pulled off fantastically. A 200x front end would of looked too "home made" in my opinion. This looks correct. Probably handles better for the riding and work it will be doing vs a sporty front end.

Now all you need to do is get some cool utility accessories on that fine creation. Spotlight, a big red style headlight. Or something similar. You have any better pictures of what you did with the dash? I'm curious.

I agree with atc300r. Keep them coming. Go bigger next time lol! Also what are you guys going by now? Someone said you changed the name from tionesta trikes? With the recent uprising of TPC reviews, this was completed at the perfect time.
    (Insert advertisement here)

--
    LOL - thanks for the compliments guys. For future clarification: Tionesta Trikes is my garage in Tionesta, PA where my cousin and I used to put some pretty neat custom trikes together. I am a collector of sorts when it comes to trikes, so Tionesta Trikes is still alive and well, just not as a fabricating shop/ Cousin Jake has since gotten his own place and his own garage, thus JTS Customs. Jake has built a few trikes from the JTS Headquarters already. Tionesta Trikes started out as an ATC Shop (not actually a business - just me and a passion for all things trike) and is now basically out of the conversion building "business". Jake has built a pretty darn good reputation in the "quad to trike" conversions, thus "JTS Customs". I still like to help him when I can, but basically Jake does all the fab work, as he is much much more skilled than I am. Not to throw a wrench into the mix, but the 3rd Keister is my brother, Peepers - he goes as "Keister" here on 3WW. Jake is not much on this site, never was, but is and has been a member for many years. He can be easily found on Facebook though.

Ghostv2 - the dash is still OEM Honda along with all controls and bars. I simply made a bracket to bolt the dash where it was on the quad, rather than bolting to the top of the quad steering stem, it now bolts to the bar clamps. Identical location - with very minimal trimming. I will add pictures as I refine this machine - which BTW - I am changing the title of this thread - {brain fart]............... This trike is known as a Honda 3CON (play on words from RECON).
    Last edited by atctim; 12-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Looks awesome mate. One of a kind. Been waiting a while to see something like this!
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Tim that's fantastic man, and to do it so quickly! Looks like a very straightforward job. I should probably consider something like your EX conversions and give my SX a rest. SX gets a lot of hard use riding and has also gotten a ton of use around the yard lately lugging tree debris and logs around. Bike is still bone stock, even OEM plastics. The tree climber took off on it skidding some branches behind him from a rope. He didn't realize but he had wrapped the rope around the front of the right rear fender and rode away just inches from sucking the rope under the rear tire and destroying my fender. I ran after him screaming but he had friggin head phones on. Luckily he didn't end up doing any damage, but it really made me think about how hard this machine gets it and how well I've been able to make it survive and keep it upright. It's thirty this year, probably time to start considering a modern update. Thanks for the post and very nice build!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-01-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    He wanted a wide front end like he stated to keep the sport utility look. Which he pulled off fantastically.
    AH, I must have misread that before I posted. Sometimes I can't read stuff on my phone as good as my computer. thank you
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    I would be interested in seeing a picture of how you modified the frame

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    As an afterthought, that thing must rip the front end right up with that rearward mounted transverse engine.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Looks great!

The engine placement looks a bit set-back compared to say an SX. Similar to the Yammy DX/DR possibly? Bet it's a wheelie champ!

Fabs and I must have been typing at just about the same time! LOL!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--

Mik6 had drawn up plans for a modern Kawasaki utility a long time before you built your Honda Tim. I have the detailed schematic he took a very long time meticulously poring over to make sure every detail was covered. I will share the schematic with you all here, but all rights are reserved.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    VERY nice Tim!! You guys do great work!

--

So I showed pics to the Mrs.

I had bought the Mrs. a 2014 trx250 something a couple of years back that she has dearly come to love vs. her huge Polaris 400 scrambler for trail riding. Showed her the pictures,,,, she said NO.
    Hmm, might hafta buy her a new quad in a year or two

Nice work ! john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brimstone 15.jpg  
    Last edited by jeswinehart; 12-02-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: wrong cc

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //