//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1980 Honda 185 needs rebuild

--

1980 Honda 185 needs rebuild

Hey new to the forum.I just bought a 1980 Honda 185 3 wheeler not sure if it's an S or not.but paid 300 for it it's all there in good shape to but she smokes alittle.so I'm trying to find where I can get a top end rebuild kit for it?I have a place to send the jug already but can't seem to find a top end rebuild kit for it haha.

--
    I'm not saying it's exactly the right thing to do but I've had good luck buying new rings for the stock piston and honing the jug a little bit. No smoke, good compression. Just clean the valves and adjust them properly. Of course I'm kinda tight and I do things on the cheap...

Try Beatrice Cycle at www.dratv.com they're really good

--
    K thanks.how do you tell if it's a 185s or standard 185 ?

--
    Their all the same , doesn't matter , 1980 was the only year the plain 185 was made and it's pretty rare .
    You can bore your cylinder out to accept any atc185 / atc200 piston kit your cylinder can safely be bored up to 66.5 mm .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    1980 185 was the first year ATC's came w 25" tires and 9" wheels. 81-83 185s has 22" tires, 8" wheels and a bit smaller/lighter frame.

--
    Cdi box took a cap today on the lake but should have new one tomorrow.it's funny if I smack the box the rote way it will work but if I tap it again it will shut down

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekker1257 View Post
    Cdi box took a cap today on the lake but should have new one tomorrow.it's funny if I smack the box the rote way it will work but if I tap it again it will shut down
    Make sure the spark advance is tight and not missing any springs it's a 10 mill bolt make sure the lobe is clean and the pick up coil gap is set. The pick up coil is the little black box. I set the gap to about the thickness of a playing card. Lastly take the cap of the view hole place the fly wheel on F for fire and line up the frame of the whole thing to the lobe. Just a friendly reminder the lobe can go on the advance 180 degrees in the wrong direction be mindful of that if you take it off to clean it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

--
    It runs mint but when the cdi gets cold I have to warm it up and hit the cdI then bam it work great have used it a few times now pulling portable on lake.I have no cdi coming tomorrow.I checked all the inlgnition timing and cam timing everything is perfect still.just need to adjust the valves yet.

--
    Did the new cdi box do the trick? Mite have had a short. If everything else is in order I'm sure it's defective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

--
    Ordered a cdi from some place and didn't work then found a place that sells oem ones? Said on the box anyway now she purrs like a kitten

--
    I had the same thing happen with my 1980 185. It had a bad cdi when I got it. I ordered a cheap one on ebay. After I found out that it didn't work,I checked the resistance and one reading wasn't in spec. I bought another one that said it was for a 1980 Atc185 not just that it would fit it like the first one said. I checked it before installation and it was good. It has run fine since. I guess just because it fit, it didn't mean it was right. Now this could be only for the 1980 models and the rest could be the same.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //