//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chainsaws

--
    My project I just started. Got it all torn down, parts cleaned, and prepped for reassembly two days ago... Husky 394XP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170119_031847184.jpg  
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

86 350x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    When I go to the woods, I go to cut wood I take my stihl, they make good saws and they make cheaper saws that personally I wouldn't spend money on
    Iv used huskys and they make good saws aswell
    86 ATC 250R
    86 ATC 350X
    86 Tecate
    84 Atc 125M
    85 Atc 200M
    07 Yamaha banshee

--
    Back in the early 80's when I was little we were driving and there was a chainsaw laying in the road, my dad got out and picked it up as no one was around, there was some logging going on in the area and it must have fallen out of a truck. It was a MAC 10-10 if I remember correctly, anyways he used it very little over the last 30 yrs and when he died it was passed onto my brother. He has a wood stove and cuts alot out of his timber, He said it wasn't bad just heavy compared to the huskys he normally uses. Oh yeah he also said it would vibrate your hands numb and had no chain break lol a real man's saw.
    Last edited by Hurley250R; 01-24-2017 at 05:23 PM.

dman10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If your gonna spend money on a saw I'd spend the money on a sthil, best there is in my opinion. I own 5, had them for years, not a single ones ever broke. Maintain it and it'll last you forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by tri again View Post
    Cool stuff seems to happen when I'm sleeping.
    Nice to know things happen without me.

--
    No love for the homelites in here? I have a husqvarna 455 rancher, mine is identical to triple dog's, but my dad's old homelite XL-12 has cut more cords of wood than I care to remember! Those suckers have metal oiling lines, thick metal case etc. Still runs, just needs a tuneup and some new fuel line and is not hard to pull start. Also the new huskys have a combination choke/ kill switch which I think sucks. If I was going to get another husq. I would hunt a older one. I also hear that the EPA have put out new stricter emissions for saws just like for cars, and the power across the board is down on some of the new ones? I have not used any Dolmars or Jonsereds etc but I am sure they are good saws. I agree about the advice on the Echo the older ones at least were made in Japan are they still? Echo used to make some very good small sized saws. Shindiawas are good also, but I would buy a cross cut saw before I paid for a poulan, or blue maxx from home depot etc.
    73 cr250m elsinore, 85 atc70, 85 250r flattracker, 87 250es bigred, 86 tecate, 2004 gas gas de300

--
    I think the lack of love for the homelites is reserved for the all plastic versions, when you can feel how cheap the saw is when you pick it up without even starting.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    If you have a Husky identical to mine, 86waterpumper, it is a 55 rancher. The 455 has a plastic crankcase.
    Last edited by tripledog; 03-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    He's right about the old Homelites! Those were really good! Jonsered as well!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86waterpumper View Post
    No love for the homelites in here? I have a husqvarna 455 rancher, mine is identical to triple dog's, but my dad's old homelite XL-12 has cut more cords of wood than I care to remember! Those suckers have metal oiling lines, thick metal case etc. Still runs, just needs a tuneup and some new fuel line and is not hard to pull start. Also the new huskys have a combination choke/ kill switch which I think sucks. If I was going to get another husq. I would hunt a older one. I also hear that the EPA have put out new stricter emissions for saws just like for cars, and the power across the board is down on some of the new ones? I have not used any Dolmars or Jonsereds etc but I am sure they are good saws. I agree about the advice on the Echo the older ones at least were made in Japan are they still? Echo used to make some very good small sized saws. Shindiawas are good also, but I would buy a cross cut saw before I paid for a poulan, or blue maxx from home depot etc.
    The classic Homelites are solid for sure..

Yes, EPA emission standards have reached chainsaw world... BUT, on the professional saws the power is most definitely not down. The latest Huskies are running AutoTune carbs and while they have had their hiccups initially, they have sorted most of the issues out and those AT saws are amazing. If you want to try one, pick up a Husky 550xp or 562xp. You will be amazed at how much attitude those saws have. Stihl has their version of Autotun as well, it's called M-Tronic and they have had some growing pains as well.

Jonsereds are just a red and black Husqvarna since the late 1980's or early 1990's. Exact same saws aside from some minor cosmetic differences. Think Chevy and GMC

Dolmar makes a fine saw. My father in law has a 6400 I have some run time with. Very solid saw and a good performer.

Echo still are made in Japan and by all accounts I have seen they make a great saw at a significantly lower pricepoint than your main two dominating brands. I have not run one myself though.

Just do me a favor, don't judge Husky by the 455 Rancher. It is a stepped up "homeowner" grade saw and nothing like it's XP counterparts of similar displacement. My 346xp will flat out smoke a 455 Rancher in any size wood you want to put them in.

Side note: My 394xp build is coming along... I sent my cylinder to IA to have the base and squish cut along with raising the transfers. I will finish up the port job (raise and widen exhaust and possibly increase intake duration) myself.

This saw is going to be badass!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4503bc9d49a11d1c733b71e3a06256e5.jpg   IMG_20170214_041338433.jpg  
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    I don't know why I said 455 Rancher... sorry. The numbers being so close and all had me off. Anyway my saw is in fact a 55, and was bought around the millenium same as yours tripledog. I have not personally used a 455, but from what I read it is fairly heavy, and is not much of a worthy replacement. I guess it is bulky and does not turn many rpms, so seems they have tried to make it a stihl instead of a husky :P hahahaha. It probably is not a totally horrible saw, if compared to the likes of the consumer saws available in home owner grade nowdays, but I have a feeling all the "home owner" grade saws have been in a downhill slide for awhile maybe about since the time tripledog and I got our 55s. The older 55 was sort of a stop gap measure between "home grade" and "pro grade", and mine has worked very well over the years I have to say. I know the pro line of saws husky makes are good, and if I was sawing wood for a living that is what I would probably get, or some of the echos still look pretty nice like the CS-800p, used to be called the cs8000 I think and are affordable compared to some. They also are still mostly metal which is pretty cool.

In my case, I just fool around with cutting up some dead fall limbs a few times a year so even though the vintage ones are heavier and maybe don't turn up fast I think they look (and sound) cool and have a certain nostalgia much like 3 wheelers. A old loud school bus yellow mculloch smoking along is pretty cool even though in practical use it may not be great... The Homelite 360, 450, 550, 650, and 750 made in the 80's was ok/fair but I would not be running anything 90's and up. The old XL series , xl12, especially the supers, and the xl800/ xl925 line were super awesome saws. There are ALOT of them still running I don't think they were the best at everything but I sort of consider them the honda of chainsaws, just very tough and reliable. It doesn't matter how light a saw is or how many rpms etc if it won't crank or stay running when you get in the woods. Homelite was very innovative. The xl line in the 60s and 70s were sort of the first saw in the 50cc range that was lightweight but would still cut worth a crap. Saws before then atleast most available in the U.S. like mcullochs and such were liable to weigh 20 pounds and on up. The super ez was also interesting, it was a small nimble size, and had a high compression (for the time) but had a comp. release so it was easy to start, and would still turn a 16" or even 18" chain with some authority. I still rank the super ez right up there very high for a regular reliable firewood saw. I like them so much I have a second one on the way for my dad haha. With the amount they made, and still lots of parts available it seems a good choice if you want to actually use a vintage saw. Some like the older stihls have ignition demons and the parts are getting very scarce to find. Ride red you will have to post up a youtube vid of that 394 husky running once you get it built. Looks like it will be a mean runner, but have fun starting it!
    Last edited by 86waterpumper; 03-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    73 cr250m elsinore, 85 atc70, 85 250r flattracker, 87 250es bigred, 86 tecate, 2004 gas gas de300

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    From what you're describing, the 55 sounds exactly like the 455. I've never seen or used a 55, but I used to use a 455 at the tree company I worked for. I was the only one there who would use it, they couldn't stand it. It is definitely a lazy saw, lol. I didn't mind it but the boss was insane and used to yell at me as the 455 chewed away at it's own pace.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I have not used the 455 myself, just was reading about it on the web from other comments. If the description is right, I don't believe the 55 like I and tripledog have is the same saw at all. I am sure the 55 is not at husky pro level, but mine has alot of compression, will spin the chain plenty fast, and turns lots of rpms. This has always been the husky benchmark (to me). Even my husky weedeater turns a heck of alot of rpm compared to others I have owned in the past and even though the engine size is small it will destroy weeds like mad if you keep it turned up. If the 455 has gone full plastic crankcase that obviously sucks. It sounds like it worked ok for you, just took a bit more patience? If the boss didn't care for it I guess he should have sold it and popped for a faster saw right? LOL. Sometimes the best use for a slow saw like that, is just to stick a long bar on it, if it will pull it and let it chug along.

People seem to forget though that plenty of wood got cut all through the world in the 1950s through the 70s with big heavy saws that would not turn many rpm at all. In my experience, more benefit comes from having a super sharp chain, a good bar, adequate bar oiling etc. I have seen many people with a hotrod saw screaming away with a dull chain,(or one sharpened wrong) and burning through the wood instead of cutting it and not much wood chips coming out the other end... all those rpms are not a good thing when the saw chain is spinning on top of the wood and the thing is free revving, burning the motor up... haha. They set the saws lean from the factory now anyway for emissions and you would be surprised how many people cut with theirs this way
    Last edited by 86waterpumper; 03-07-2017 at 12:05 PM.

--
    Waterpumper is correct, the older 55 is a quality magnesium case built saw where the newer "Rancher" line are plastic chassis "clamshell" designs. While the 55 was not as high a performer as the XP saws, it is still a well built and very respectable saw. Pro grade build construction but not quite as high strung in performance.

The old Homelite have put a ton of wood on the ground for sure. My grandfather had and used his XL12 till he passed away in 2010 and that saw still runs today. My dad had an XL400 when I was a kid growing up. Well made solid saws.

Guys, a quick little check so you can know if the Husky or Johnny-Red you are looking at is a mag case or plastic clamshell saw: remove the bar oil cap. You will be able to tell quick and easy by the bar oil fill hole if you are looking at magnesium or plastic

And you're spot on about the importance of a properly sharpened chain.

Speaking of the olden days, ever read up on the old big felling saws that had 2-speed gear boxes on them?? Cool stuff!

And I will definitely put up a vid of my 394 when I get it finished
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //