//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws

--
    I know it's not a big boy saw, but I have an old Pro Mac and I got to finally try it this fall.

Fabio took me to what was basically an estate sale a few years back and the guy had like 10 of the flippin saws for 50$; Pick one!! Amongst many other bargain tool deals you cannot imagine. It was a great weekend!!

It's made out of metal and lopped off a big ole oak tree side branch this fall. When it went thru the saw using my left arm that I had injured before, somehow it managed to partially tear my rotator cuff as it fell downwards and I finally let it go. After 8 weeks of physical therapy, I'm doing very well but still not pushing it....

Didn't mean to hijack you Andy; It just jarred the "CHAIN SAW INCIDENT" within me
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    As with anything, you get what you pay for for. Spend the extra money, save the headache, get something that will last. I'm a diehard stihl man. I own approximately $8000 worth of chainsaws, as I am in the logging business. I still have the very first stihl saw I started with 10 years ago. It still gets used daily. That saw has cut over 5,000,000 board feet of timber. It still starts, runs, and cuts as it should even on the original bore and crank bearings. Granted, it is no longer a felling saw. It is mostly used as a buck up saw on the log yard. I'm willing to bet the case of that $211 bargain won't last 10 years.
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

--
    Husqvarna/Jonsereds, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo. Stick with those brands and you won't be buying "budget" Chinese junk.

All of those brands I listed offer what would generally be known as budget "homeowner" grade saws as well as the quality "professional grade" equipment they built their good reputations on. Just avoid plastic crankcases and you should be fine. Remember, you get what you pay for.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    The stihl shops here started pushing all synthetic oil at purchase which doubles your warranty if only synthetic is used. The synthethic costs alot more and to me its not worth it because you can really go through alot of chainsaw gas. Plus I've never seen a stihl that quit in the first few years if taken care of. I suppose the synthetic oil is better for the cylinder in cold weather start ups and i am sure is better all around oil.We use saws hard and often, just not daily.

--
    Ditto to everyone who suggested pay the extra for a quality saw. I've had my Stihl MS391 for probably 10 years or more and it still rips. Just gotta keep 'er tuned up and sharpen that chain every few uses. You may find a good used one on CL.
    Ragin' full on...

--
    if you're looking for a lightweight easy to use saw the Husky 440 is a good choice for the price, I've owned one going on 6 years now, gets used bi-weekly in the winter, sits most of the summer and fires right up every time, although it is a bit underpowered imo.

But, if you're looking for a saw that will survive a nuclear apocalypse, handle 90% of the average guys cutting needs, rip your arm off on startup, and let the entire world know you're cutting firewood, the 266xp is a good saw!
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    I've had good luck with my stihl's. I have a Farm boss which has been really good to me and also the big boy MS660. I burn about 10 federal cords each year to heat my house and hot water during the winter months; I've got an outdoor wood boiler which works great but it does require regular feedings. Recently got a top handle Echo CS-355T for limbing and the occasional climbing. So far the Echo has been reliable although it tends to take more pulls to get going; I'm happy with the power especially considering its size.
    Current Trikes:
    85 350x
    P3 (x2)

Quads:
    2003 Polaris Predator 500
    1988 Yamaha Warrior
    2003 Polaris Predator 90

Previous Trikes:
    84 Honda 110 (parts)
    85 Honda 110
    85 Honda 200x
    87 Honda 200x
    85 Honda 250sx
    KX 80 Trike conversion

Gone and missed:

--
    Saw forums are a good source of good used saws as well...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    We have both small echo with a 14 inch bar on it and stihl 290 with a 18 inch bar on it. Both have been tuned up once in the last 4 years and always start. When they arent in use they sit in an unheated shed until next use and always have gas sitting in them. Very impressed with the echo especially being a homeowners grade saw. Both their weed wackers and saws I wouldn't hesitate to buy.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    I beat the piss outta my $200 Echo string trimmer for years and it still runs well. I cut back mile or 2 of trail tangle a few times a year with a brush cutting attachment and even turned the brush head sideways to cut a 4" deep trench around my hilly/rocky front/back yard for an invisible fence. More than happy with that investment!
    Ragin' full on...

briano is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Pay the extra and get a quality saw. My Husqvarna was around $800, expensive, yes, but it has been flawless for the last 10 years. For most homeowners, a saw bought from a dealer, being a Stihl, or Husqvarna, will have a warranty that can be honored at the dealer. If you buy one from the big box stores, you have to send it in for repairs and wait to get it back.

There's a guy that lives by me that can't see spending more than $200 on a saw and orders them from Northern Tool, the Bluemax or whatever they are. He had a pile of dead ones in his shed. In the last 10 years since I spent $800 on mine, I bet he has over that in junk saws in a pile.

--
    I ended up getting a Poulanyom. 100 bucks refurb on egay. 50cc 20inch bar and put an Oregon chain on it.
    From what I was told its a poor mans huskvarnish. Oh well you can get replacement parts but ya cant hot rod the motor. Lots of mods for the ranchers saws and whatnot. My other saw is an old stihl but has a small bar and motor but runs great. So many Chinese knock offs out there. I just cant picture myself with a Chinese chainsaw. So solly.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

briano is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    You will regret buying that thing. Refurb Poulan, it's already been junk once. My father in law has one, got as a gift, you can't adjust the carb to get it to run right unless you have the "special" tool. Even after adjusting the carb it seems like it's always changing how it runs. One day it's good, next day it's rich or lean. Good luck with it.

--
    The tool-less chain adjustment is a pain. yeah no tools but it loosens itself automatically every few minutes. At least my grandfathers did.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Yeah unfortunate to hear that you ended up with a Poulin, however as long as you get whatever you need cut then success!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //