//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 350x Owner Wheels & Tyres

Xtro is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

New 350x Owner Wheels & Tyres

Ok now I have got the handlebars sorted I need to change tyres. It still has the original 22 balloon tyres on the back and 23.5 on the front. Knobblys are nearly totally worn down and lots of surface cracks. Do I replace with original size and look or go for smaller 20's on the back. I will mainly be riding on dusty hard bush track with occasional medium soft sand. Some flat limestone areas on the track as well. I was thinking some sort of all terrain tyre. Any suggestions and combos greatly appreciated. My rims are a bit bashed about on the edges so will probably change them as well. Thanks again in advance . Cheers , Rob

--
    Hey Rob.

As this is a rare trike in AUS. I wonder if it is best to keep with original size(?) I opted to remove my balloon tires and go with a lower profile on my rear of my 200X.

Shipping is going to be killer for you. I can see where you want to look into this before pulling the plug.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Hey Rob.

As this is a rare trike in AUS. I wonder if it is best to keep with original size(?) I opted to remove my balloon tires and go with a lower profile on my rear of my 200X.

Shipping is going to be killer for you. I can see where you want to look into this before pulling the plug.
    Hi Rob, yep I am thinking along the lines you are. The closest I can get to original size that I have found so far in Oz are Kenda Scorpion 5070 rear and the Kenda Front Max for the front. The fronts are only 2 ply which concerns me a bit as they may be too soft. I will keep looking for a bit and try and source some more down here. Thanks for your feedback

--
    I try to go by intended use when determining my tire size. If I'm planning to ride where it's fairly smooth, then I'd go with the 20" tires. If I'm planning to ride in a lot of rocks or somewhere with a lot of tree branches on the ground, then I value my ground clearance. That's why I have 22' tires on the back of my 350x. The only time I go to 20's on it is when I'm riding in the sand. Then I use my old ITP Blackwater tires as "semi paddles". I know they're heavier than true paddles, but they still throw quite a bit of sand and the lower gearing helps in the sand too. As for the rarity of the trike, I doubt tire size has much affect on value unless yours looks like it's still brand new.

--
    Cool thanks makes sense

--
    Window shopping for tires, which I'll collect for my 350x project bike, has been a pleasure of mine.
    I have some links to consider:

Carlisle turf tamer replicas in 22x11r8:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71QyEeRSqwL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	238950
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9DTMVI/

The availability of genuine Carlisle tamers comes and goes on Amazon, so you may find patience and a few more dollars gets a higher quality tire than this, I've got some off brands like this on my ATC110 and they hold up real nice to a respectable 7hp

IMHO the reduced tire height of these would be worth the loss of clearance. I believe unless you constantly need the clearance, with a 350x that has healthy skid-protection its easier, and WAY more fun to braaap some speed before hitting anything you might snag on, then skip across the top

$59usd GBC XCMaster 20x11r9, my favorite size:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	510rJOybyOL.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	238947
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZW0AJ4/

$89usd Duro HF245 (should the word infamous apply to these?) in 20x11r9:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334905-MLM25076091416_092016-Y.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	238949
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU1ITG/

Maybe the Duro 245s would not fit your terrain, but swapping tires and comparing the feel on various surfaces is gratifying.

OK, one more tire, the $67 Duro Bermraider, 20x11r9:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41w-7H6so9L.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	238948
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAICMT4/

Sure wish I could ride any of your trails there in Australia!!

350for350 totally said it, get several sets of various sizes and enjoy
    Have fun,
    Don
    Last edited by DiamonDon; 01-16-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: tried adding pics, took out wordiness

--
    More to consider. Thank you

--
    I run Dunlop 20s on the rear of my 86 350x here in Australia. They are good al rounders. I ride both dunes and bush also. Throw some pics of your 350x up. There really isn't many in Australia. All of them were imports at some stage. I was lucky enough too but a mint original a couple years ago. I love the thing it's a great reliable unit.

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Also I forgot to mention that dropping down to 20s in the rear you are going to want to drop around 4 teeth on the rear sprocket. They are not readily available but I bought a custom sprocket from a bloke on here. You can always go up to a 14t sprocket on the front but can't run the case saver. That is a big no no for me. Last thing you want is a chain to pop and break that case. The 350 handles much better with 20s in the rear and a wider axle.

Matt

--
    Hi Matt, Thanks for the advice. Why drop the rear sprocket 4 teeth. Is this to save top end speed? Here is a pic of my 350x when purchased. I have tidied it up a bit since then and fixed the snapped foot peg bolt.How much are the Dunlop here in Australia? Also what was the full size specs of the tire and do they fit on the original rim. Love to see a pic of yours as well.
    Cheers, Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by atcmatt View Post
    Also I forgot to mention that dropping down to 20s in the rear you are going to want to drop around 4 teeth on the rear sprocket. They are not readily available but I bought a custom sprocket from a bloke on here. You can always go up to a 14t sprocket on the front but can't run the case saver. That is a big no no for me. Last thing you want is a chain to pop and break that case. The 350 handles much better with 20s in the rear and a wider axle.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161217_114551.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	238962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161217_114451.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	238963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	238964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161217_114510.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	238965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My 350X.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	238961  

--
    Well I changed to the smaller rear sprocket because you lose all the 'legs' the 350 has. I had the original rims and tyres on mine, which I have kept as they are in good condition. I bought a set of NOS TRX 300ex rims and put the dunlops on them. I'm not actually sure where you can get the dunlops from over here. I was given mine by someone. They are a 4 ply tyre and 20x10x9 so fit on original rims.

Your 350x looks to be in great shape. I would hold onto that. I paid 5k for mine also but spent a bit getting it back to perfect and all original. I took all the original fenders off mine and put maiers on it. Would hate to have something happen to the mint originals. You just can't get them anymore. Where did you buy yours? Did not see it advertised and am always looking! Here are a few shots of mine.

--
    These photos are when I first bought it. As you can see it was in pretty good shape but was missing a few things here and there.

Since then I have added a hondaline speedo kit. Original toolbox. NOS fork boots. Had a few bits and pieces replated that were showing their age. Put the 20s on with hub extenders etc etc. It just doesn't end with these things haha, but wouldn't have it any other way!

Matt

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	238978   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	238979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3317.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	238980   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	238981   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	238982  

--
    These pictures are how it sits now. Think I'm finally happy with how it is and now its time to ride it (gently) and admire it.

Name:	IMG_3827.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	238983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4126.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	238984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4713.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	238985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3266.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	238986  

--
    These pictures are how it sits now. Think I'm finally happy with how it is and now its time to ride it (gently) and admire it.
    Looks really good matt! I like the Cali registration in AussieLand.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    WOW, awesome job Matt. My plastics arnt as good as yours but I was considering doing the Maier thing as well and putting away the old ones. Im not going to clean mine up as well as yours as I enjoy riding it and getting it dirty way too much and if it was a clean as yours I dont think I would ride it in the conditions I do. I am slowly replacing anything broken or worn out with OEM parts as I find them. As you said it can be "never ending" if you want it to be. I found mine on gumtree. I have been looking for a 1986 250R for some time and then this popped up and it was a no brainer. I paid the guy more than he was asking to get it. He rang me the next day and said people were still calling him the next day and offering more than I paid for it. One guy from over east (Im in WA) wanted it shipped to him bike unseen. Crazy how popular they are at the moment. They are pretty rare over her though.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //