//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 Honda 200X

--
    Good morning J.

I'm just going to do some maintenance on it and correct a couple of things......then use it for a few trips we have planned.

You know it's yours when I'm ready to sell.

--
    The engine underneath was quite dirty and gunked up with old oil and dirt mixed after I removed the skid plate.

Since I know the tappet o-rings are leaky (especially the front).........the next step is simple. Thoroughly clean and degrease the entire engine and after I install the new o-rings run the engine for a couple of heat cycles to see if I have any other areas of concern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170102_154734.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	238235

Name:	20170102_154344.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	238236
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.

--
    Might think about replacing the chain and sprockets too. That front sprocket looks like it has some pretty good wear on it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    The engine underneath was quite dirty and gunked up with old oil and dirt mixed after I removed the skid plate.

Since I know the tappet o-rings are leaky (especially the front).........the next step is simple. Thoroughly clean and degrease the entire engine and after I install the new o-rings run the engine for a couple of heat cycles to see if I have any other areas of concern.

Name:	20170102_154734.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	238235

Name:	20170102_154344.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	238236
    What and where are these tappet Orings, mine has alot of oil down there too and would like to change some Orings, just for maintenance

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjacob View Post
    What and where are these tappet Orings, mine has alot of oil down there too and would like to change some Orings, just for maintenance

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    The valve cover O-Rings.

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    400!? holy smokes haha, that's a 3 grand bike around my part.

--
    A nice crack on the front fender. I haven't welded plastic in years. Looks like a repair was attempted at one point. Good eye on the sprockets 350

My way of cleaning a carb. I like the dip to get warm so I use the space heater to heat it up. I also have a tumbler set up for a 30/70 acid bath but this won't need that. What this pic doesn't show is one of the most important parts...high pressure air. Also I have an old burner that I use to heat up the rinse water......not to boiling but pretty darn warm. It's a great method for a solid rinse of either the dip or phosphoric acid.

Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.

--
    A little more disassembly on a rainy day. Some orings installed and parts ordered.

Has a small hole in the exhaust. In fact this entire exhaust feels "loosey goosey". Still like to get that Kerker but how are those DG exhausts on ebay? There's a used bassani on there but that looks like work.

Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.

--
    A buddy has a DG on his 86 200x and it is just obnoxiously loud. Its one of those sounds that is loud, doesnt sound good and just drones on. You cant block it out. They are a brand new exhaust which is nice, but I wouldn't put one on. To loud for my taste.

In other news, that trike is in amazing shape. If that were my trike I dont think I could sell it for the fact that its pretty darn clean for its age, used but not abused. Clean ones like that are getting more and more rare.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Hagenow View Post
    A buddy has a DG on his 86 200x and it is just obnoxiously loud. Its one of those sounds that is loud, doesnt sound good and just drones on. You cant block it out. They are a brand new exhaust which is nice, but I wouldn't put one on. To loud for my taste.
    Thanks for the info.......I'll keep looking then.

I inderstand what you mean about loud. Some exhaust have a tendency to make things sound loud and broken.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 01-13-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: I spelled load instead of loud.....crazy

--
    Are you looking for performance or quietness? Unfortunately your options are limited aside from custom building an exhaust. I personally think the DG's are loud, but not anything that would prevent me from buying them. You can still buy a brand new supertrapp slip on silencer and run the desired amount of discs and maybe that'll quiet it down some. Or you can buy any old silencer and do some bending and make it fit.

But again, what are you trying to gain from this? Personally I wouldn't be worried about no pin hole in my silencer. Unless your looking for performance.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    But again, what are you trying to gain from this? Personally I wouldn't be worried about no pin hole in my silencer. Unless your looking for performance.
    I had a Bassani on my 350X and I liked the performance and the sound. The stock system on my 86 200X sounded like a sewing maching but was well tuned from Honda. This one is loose and kinked and it would be nice to replace. I can repair it if need be but if I have any $$ left in my personal capped budget of $400 for this 200X then I will look for something.

Right now I found out why my back brakes don't work. The master is seized and this one looks nasty. When I get back from Vegas I'll try all my recipes to unstuck it and rebuild.

Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.

--
    My rear master was worse than that. Piston was a bit of a bugger to get out. I had to do the last resort. Drill hole in the piston, screw in a self tapping screw and pry it out. Bore was still in good shape. Rebuild kit and away I went.

No performance gains in aftermarket exhausts on a stock engine. There was a test done long time ago. Not sure if the sheet was posted up here(?) I am sure it was...

I have been looking around myself for a different exhaust. Not DG though. I have a Cobra muffler on my bike (XL250R) I like the sound of it.

--
    New sprocket and chain.

It really looked worn when compared side to side

Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-18-2017 at 07:11 PM.

--
    My niece gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas so I used it for a new grab bar.

But looking at the tool box I was wondering if a 250sx toolbox would fit my 200X. I think it might but was wondering if anyone here may know better.

It's not the end of the world if I don't have one but I have the tools so a functional toolbox would be nice.

Name:	20170121_151947.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	239124

Name:	20170121_151955.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	239125

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //