//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new Tri Z project.

--

My new Tri Z project.

Hello, thought I would introduce myself, my name is Dave I joined here about 4 years ago! with the intention of buying a Tri Z..after some missed chances & lousy career luck (China...l) I "finally" found one that came up @ the right time for the right buy in price for me. Right now I'm in to her for $700.00. Shes a 85-86 mish mash project but seems to run ..so far..lol. But still needs a total scutinizing & work through.
    Look what came home w me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161229_180849~2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	238495
    She came with:
    6"extended swingarm.
    Obviously it is set up as a dune machine but that is ok, My my two lifelong friends have a Tecate and a 250R each has 6 inch arms, I will be in good company.

D.G. PipeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20161229_190232~2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	238498

Top mounted Zinger fuel tank conversion.
    Fuel capacity probably limited to less than 30 minute ride?, & likely only suited for Motocross or flat track. And won't be doing any of that with that swing arm LOL .I did also get the stock fuel tank and brackets. My long-term goal is to return it to the larger fuel tank.

New aggressive tires w new Douglas rear wheels.

All OEM plastic w ZERO cracks! Plus xtra OEM rear fender w no cracks either!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161229_190310~2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	238496
    1986 front end.
    Front triples and forks are 86, not sure about the wheel brakes et cetera but assume it is. I also am unsure about any swingarm linkage& arm or how to verify yet if it's an 85 or 86. No idea what the rear shock is or what it came off of but have a feeling it could be a street bike shock...LOL? I have to research.

I was told the motor has the Wrench report modification done to it and it is on a 69.5 bore? So I know that's pushing the limit. I have yet to verify anything yet. My goal is just a rideable bike for the next year or so while I accumulate parts to customize and restore restomod Style. It will be a slower project than most, my funds are limited.

Name:	20161229_190059~2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	988.9 KB 
ID:	238497
    I will be asking a lot of questions some in separate threads please look it over and if you have any suggestions or see anything that you think I should be aware of by all means let me know I am not familiar with these so it is all a learning experience any tips and or suggestions is greatly appreciated this is a fantastic form so far best one I've ever come across. The guy said he built this bike from a Box O' Parts, frame from Montana , & the motor was bought in New Jersey. For the price, I feel I did okay. Hopefully the motor is sound.

Name:	20161229_190013~2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	935.3 KB 
ID:	238499
    Last edited by this old rz; 01-07-2017 at 07:33 PM.

--
    Quick way to tell if the wrench report is done is pull the reed cage out and see if you have a boyesen port on the right side of the intake.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Very cool! I look forward to updates on your build when you get into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1983 Selvy 300R - Check out the Build Thread
    1985/86 Tri-Z - Build Thread Coming Soon
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

Youtube Channel "Lowe Off Road"

- Brandon

--
    Very cool you're in that cheaper than mine. Mine was rough
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonlowe2 View Post
    Very cool! I look forward to updates on your build when you get into it!

Thanks, 1st my initial goal is to get it running safely with as little investment possible. I'm following your LED lighting project with much intrest, My vision for awile was to do a custom conversion either with baja style lights & LEDs or full LED as you are doing...but my lights will definatley be El Cheapo units..lol

I'd also like to incorporate them into my stock housings, perhaps even "with help" build a drop in LED for each opening. Either that or two nice old school round lights & a baja housing. Curious as to if anyone does old school style "round lights" only with LED panel inside..that would be trick. Once the electrics stator, wiring are handled then I could tinker..

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That all sounds cool... I will be looking forward to seeing what lights you end up using. "If" what I plan to do works it is possible I would be able to produce another light shroud "if" it would fit the light bar you end up going with

1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

- Brandon

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by this old rz View Post
    I'm following your LED lighting project with much intrest, My vision for awile was to do a custom conversion either with baja style lights & LEDs or full LED as you are doing...but my lights will definatley be El Cheapo units..lol.
    The Chinese one I posted on Brandons thread is the one I would suggest for a budget app if you want a lite bar and don't mind cutting the center piece out of the stock headlight housing . You may also be able to mount it just behind the center piece in which case you would not have to cut it out . They also make rectangular LED assemblies that may fit.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    This is cool.... multiple Tri-Z builds!

1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

- Brandon

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Here's one of the rectangular lights mentioned that you may be able to fit without modifying the front of your stock housing but they are 20 degree spot lights so you won't get much side light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-4INCH-1...tWozPG&vxp=mtr

--
    Now dont get me wrong about LED lights, I totally understand " you get what you pay for.
    " Im always intrested in exploring "bang for the buck" options. I was just killing time today & came across these LED off-road fixtures in Wal Mart....yea Wall Mart of all places. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_124526.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	238568

Name:	20170108_125230.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	238569

Name:	20170108_125151.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	238570

Name:	20170108_124523.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	238571

I looked ar them & pointed them @ the ceiling 25' up duri g dayrime and they projected a rather bright light beam all the way up, there really bright, you cannot look at them directly. The small fixtures measure 3"x3" & the larger unit is under 9"x3".
    Even these Cheap units are WAY WAY brighter than the stock lights. For the price...there well worth the $ but again I understand that high end units must be far superior.

Just thinking out loud & throwing out ideas, these are between $20 & $40 bucks.

Those posted above look much better than the ones I stumbled across in this post..I think one way or another...were going to start a Tri Z LED Trend...lol My friends intrested in doing his 250r as well.

FYI..They appear yellow in the photos..but there bright white.

--
    ummm...don't look directly into a high power led light.

Nobody implied that there is anything "wrong" with cheap Chinese lights . They will be far brighter than the stock tri z bulbs but you really need them to be a flood or flood/spot light combo . Spot lights only will kinda suck due to their very narrow beam.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    My friends intrested in doing his 250r as well.
    Have him join the site and start a thread but I think it takes around 30 days before they let new members post in the new member forums . A few people here have put LED's on their 250r's . If they don't reply to his thread I can tell him a few ways to do it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    . They will be far brighter than the stock tri z bulbs but you really need them to be a flood or flood/spot light combo . Spot lights only will kinda suck due to their very narrow beam.

You do have a good point, these advertised that they have a "combo" beam pattern..but at that cheap price..its questionable.

No doubt LEDs are quite bright, Wife & I have a rather large saltwater reef tank, we swapped out our metal halide lights two yrs ago for a programnable LED fixture with 60 led bulbs of various colors..it will light up the entire house even with colored lens & diffussers.

I have two good lifelong friends I've known my entire life, Thst pretty much the only reason I bought the Tri Z, so we can all go out a few x a year & have fun. One has a custom 250R the other a 86 Tecate 3, so it comes as no surprise to anyone, I'm obviouslly a Yamaha man..lol, so we will ride with one of each of the factory 3 wheelers, Kinda cool.

My friend w the 250R, actually told me about this forum 4 years ago...I'll have to ask him if hes a member. He does need some tuning advice . He has a 1986250R Rob Selvy /BDT custom ported 370? cc ESR motor with a BDTs Kenny Roberts built pipe., CT racing previously did the bottom end. And it has one fast three wheeler it is faster then my friends 421 CPI cheetah power valve powered Banshee that is one fast trike. If I recall Rob told him it's one of the fastest 250Rs he's ever worked on and for him to please be very careful...lol

The other friend has this 86 Tecate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	note4 795.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	238572also built by BDT If I'm not mistaken it had a custom designed cylinder over 360c. But has since been replaced with a detailed port job & stroke crank

It will be fun riding w these guys..no doubt.
    Last edited by this old rz; 01-11-2017 at 09:45 PM.

--
    I am curious as to if these bulbs are (interchangeable ) whether they can be (popped in and out or if there soldered in)? If they could the same company sells this set up with 60 degree flood bulbs. My Aquarium bulbs can be replaced but they are in diffrent captive lenses.

Attachment 238576 If one could remove spots and floods and intermix them between units, this unit has 8 60° floods bulbs in it and then you could just alternate spots for floods in the housing, unless its the housing or diffrent lens that directs the light.
    Perhaps with a little more research one might be able to find a combo spot/flood light that is small enough in the same size housings to fit inside the Tri Z housings? or a
    (matching flood & spot side-by-side same size as mentioned previously).
    I wonder if that would work better or any worse then swapping mixing bulbs for a hybrid? I am just thinking out loud. ( its 5 a.m. & I have to get up & face the day) :-(
    Last edited by this old rz; 01-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.

--
    I am curious as to if these bulbs are (interchangeable ) whether they can be (popped in and out or if there soldered in)? If they could the same company sells this set up with 60 degree flood bulbs. My Aquarium bulbs can be replaced but they are in diffrent captive lenses.

If one could remove spots and floods and intermix them between units, this unit has 8 60° floods bulbs in it and then you could just alternate spots for floods in the housing, unless its the housing or diffrent lens that directs the light.

Perhaps with a little more research one might be able to find a combo spot/flood light that is small enough in the same size housings to fit inside the Tri Z housings? or a (matching flood & spot side-by-side same size as mentioned previously). I wonder if that would work better or any worse then swapping mixing bulbs for a hybrid?
    It the majority of cases it is the reflector alone that determines the light pattern . One exception is the new Radiance line from Rigid Industries which uses a new type of led from SOL that they say is a dual pattern type, however, even when a dual pattern bulb is used, it still needs a reflector to direct the light, therefore, in this case both the bulb and the reflector work together to direct the light.

Yes you can definitely use one flood light assembly and one spot light assembly to achieve a dual pattern light . This would also give you the option of running just one light assembly at a tine if you wanted . Spot lights for the average rider are typically 20 degrees . A 10 degree spot light is often referred t as a "Pencil Spot Light" due to its extremely narrow and focused beam . Anything from 40 - 60 degrees is good for a flood light and one of the best LED flood lights is the Rigid SR2 Diffuser model, however, at around $300.00, that costs half of what a lot of used trikes cost.

Another thing some companies are doing to achieve a dual pattern light is to put spot lights in a curved/radiused housing, however this is only currently done on long light bars.

I haven't confirmed this yet but I think the Chinese company below is the one Rigid gets the dual pattern bulbs from.

http://www.sol-led-light.com/

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //