//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rusty tanks.

--

Rusty tanks.

Hi, I am wondering how you guys would deal with rust inside of a Honda atc gas tank. Can it be cleaned or will it need to be coated. What are your thoughts on plastic tanks?

Thanks,
    Milan

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 8DO83 View Post
    Hi, I am wondering how you guys would deal with rust inside of a Honda atc gas tank. Can it be cleaned or will it need to be coated. What are your thoughts on plastic tanks?

Thanks,
    Milan
    I have done what was suggested to me. A bunch of 1 1/4" sheet rock screws. Shake for as long as you can. Rest and do it 3 more times. Shake all the crap out. I removed the entire petcock and replaced it with a new one but that is not necessary. I used Caswell tank sealer twice. Once on my 200X and once on my 250SX. Successful outcomes both times. Watch the ambient temperature and your working time. Pro-tip... Wrap your tank in cellophane to protect it in case you spill. Follow instructions to a T.

--
    I'll try that. Thanks so much!

Newrider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I used redkote ..cleaned it with simplegreen I let it sit in vinegar for a week with dry wall screws shaking it up every day a couple times .. I rinsed it with baking soda and water and dried it with a heat gun , what ever you use make sure your tanks completely dry .. It fixed all my pinholes and coated nicely even over the flash rust .. no problems so far it's been over a month .good luck

zeeker1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    What year and model Honda are you working on? I have a couple of different year tanks for sale just in case you might need one..........zeeker

--
    one is a 1983 Honda ATC 70. And the other is a 1983 Honda 200x

--
    After years of dealing with rust and 5 tubes of jb weld to stop leaks plastic tank was best thing I did.

--
    Hey Milan. Do a search on 'how to clean a rusty tank'. Tons of info has already been posted up.

Cheers.

--
    Unless there are pinholes to fill in, I wouldn't even use a sealer.
    The screws, and lots of shaking was all I needed.
    I did use a fuel filter for a while, but just switched to some clear fuel line I like very much and ditched the filter.

The fact that anytime I remove my tank on the ATC70, I'm seperating at the petcock, then I'm frequently inspecting that OEM filter screen.

Here's a link to the fuel line, which I had to dip into a mug of near boiling water to soften up for installation.
    Its nice to see whats in the lines though, and it seems very tough and just flexible enough:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun on your machine!
    Don

--
    Poolacid also works well, clears a tank up in a few minutes and you are done. It is a bit dangerous but if you know what you are doing it should not be a problem.
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    Rust rescue from Canadian tire. I would check it out depending how bad it's rusted before sealing it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	239065
    Last edited by Troyg25; 01-19-2017 at 09:03 PM.

--

Thanks for all the help! I sandblasted the tank because it was old paint and was chipping. And the inside has a slight amount of surface rust it us sitting right now with metal rescue. What is the best paint to use? Any ideas?
    Thanks, Milan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonlowe2 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Of course powder coating is always a good choice, but if your planning on fixing that dent with auto bondo, probably want to just prime and paint. I have a 250sx and it was dented on both sides. Fixed with auto bondo and then auto etching primer and auto paint gave a nice finishing touch. The reason I chose to fix and paint the old tank instead of going plastic tank is because for some weird reason the decals will not stick to a plastic tank... they keep wanting to peel up. They stick to the metal no problem. Here is mine....

1983 Selvy 300R - Check out the Build Thread
    1985/86 Tri-Z - Build Thread Coming Soon
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 250sx
    1985 ATC70
    1985 ATC 200M

Youtube Channel "Lowe Off Road"

- Brandon

--
    Looks great! And thanks for the tips.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonlowe2 View Post
    The reason I chose to fix and paint the old tank instead of going plastic tank is because for some weird reason the decals will not stick to a plastic tank... they keep wanting to peel up.
    Your tank looks very nice.

If you have a new plastic tank that has never had gas in it yet you could simply use an adhesion promoter or a surface modifier.....then the decal would adhere properly. Polyethylene tanks (PE or HDPE) seem to take well to SEM or the whole host of other promoters.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //