//ArrowChat Code

Thread: HELP for Tri Z specific VIN & engine # sequence.

--

HELP for Tri Z specific VIN & engine # sequence.

I'm attempting to decifer my VIN & engine # to gain a perfectly clear answer to exactly how my Engine # should read vs my VIN #.

If possible would any fellow owners be willing to share exactly how their VIN #s read and their engine #s. I need to see several examples of Tri Zs to understand if thete completly (random) or originally married/coded to the VIN #. I would need both series of #s. I recives 3 boxes of parts, plus some damaged cases. I am trying to see if the correct #s are in the parts stash.

Any reply is appreciated.

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dave ytz250s View Post
    I know.. I did get that reply, is appreciated. My question is redundant.
    I am new to this form and I'm not sure who knows what and I'd like to get two or three definitive answers that match, same with parts interchangeability! as with anything there's a lot of wives tales and then there are the facts I have to be real careful because my time & budget doesn't allow for too many mistakes.
    Thanks definitely for your reply! If that is the case it's 100% helpful. Dave

--
    I have two 86 z's and both of them have matching numbers, motor is 1RX with the last digits of the frame number. I'm guessing that 85 z's should be the same starting with 38W instead of 1RX

--
    Where are the engine numbers anyway
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    Where are the engine numbers anyway
    On top near the kickstart

--
    On top near the kickstart
    Mine aren't there there's like ribs behind it
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Mine aren't there there's like ribs behind it
    Should be stamped in those ribs right under the rear brake fluid reservoir.

--
    Should be stamped in those ribs right under the rear brake fluid reservoir.
    Yeah no stamp just ribs
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Yeah no stamp just ribs
    You should have a rectangular flat pad, often they have multiple grooves (ribs) of which the numbers are imbedded (stamped) into. I dont know if all Yamaha engines are this way or if some are flat without the grooves(ribs). If you have (grooves but no #s...that just strage, you have to look with a clean surface & good light from above to view the #s well. You might try that. It should look like this

I still have yet to hear a difinative explanation why the ribs(grooves)are there..I'm assuming its to deter theft? But then why not frame #s as well??

So I assume if a surface is completly smooth w no ribs/ grooves with only #s, it a indication(red flag) thay the motor is altered or stolen & the numbers were re stamped. The CHP likley has a protocol on all Makes & models and if they go to verify your engine # and its on a flat surface, you might be subject to alot of unwanted questions.

Here in California you MUST have the correct frame VIN #....AND the engine # to register a motorcycle. The serial # has to be "married" to the frame VIN#.

Which for many dirtbikes, and streetbikes can be a major hassle as many old 70s & 80s bikes have had replacement motors, and if the previous owner didnt document the swap...it becomes a problem for whomever the new owner is, especially if you are buying a barn find w/o a title and you are appliying for a new one, CHP inspections become mandatory at that point, with alot of time & paperwork involved. But as long as motor & frame #s dont come up as stolen, I beleive its a straight forward process. I'm will have to do this, When done I'll post about my process and any pitfalls or tricks I find out.

--
    Cleaned up the ribs still no numbers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170110_142111134.jpg  
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Cleaned up the ribs still no numbers
    Maybe the previous owner bought a new replacement case from yamaha when they were still available, IDK

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by this old rz View Post
    I'm attempting to decifer my VIN & engine # to gain a perfectly clear answer to exactly how my Engine # should read vs my VIN #. If possible would any fellow owners be willing to share exactly how their VIN #s read and their engine #s.
    This is from my 1985.

FRAME ...... JYSS8W007F0007886
    ENGINE ................. 38W-007886

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //