//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Trying my hand with bondo on 200x has tank

Newrider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Thumbs up Trying my hand with bondo on 200x has tank

I just recently redkoted my gas tank and also bought the maier air scoops and planned on eventually buying a plastic tank but I really like the scoops and the redkote sealed my tank and I'm not having any more problems with the tank so I decided to drain it and start some sanding I was never able to put new honda wing decals on the tank because on each side of my tank there was a nice size dent right where the old decals used to be under about 7 different paint jobs .I've read different threads and basically what i gathered was prep is the key alot of prep !! I've never used bondo but have seen it work wonders on tanks , on the spots were I plan to apply the bondo I sanded it down the bare metal cause I've read that's what is best after I sand it down were I made the repairs im going to prime the tank and sand down and repeat a couple times . Not sure what kind of paint to use yet but I am painting it black and also not sure what decals to buy yet I was thinking red because I think it would look good with my color scheme.

--
    I have repaired a lot of dented up tank with great results.. I like to sand to bare metal the whole tank then fill as needed...you will want to start out sanding the filler with either 36 grit or something close and as a final sand with 220 to 400 grit...it usually took me a week to fill and sand to get it perfect because the prep work under the paint = makes a great looking tank...I cant remember the paint that will keep from bubbling when gas hits it but that's what you want to use , but it's pricey.....Good luck with yours and include some pics please.
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Maybe have a bodyshop weld and pull the dent if it's deep. Get down to the bare metal and then apply the bondo in that area. 220 dry sand the rest before primer.The good lightweight bondo or all metal the bodyshop would already have. The cheap bondo at the local mart, i only use on wood. Then maybe just buy some skim coat bondo, for the finish work.
    Check for pin holes in your primer where you put the bondo. Build up those pin holes with primer. Give a light coat of flat black spray paint and let it dry for an hour. Sand with water soaked 400 wet sanding paper with a little dawn detergent in the bucket till the flat black paint is gone. You can cut a short paint stick and wrap in 400 and lightly sand for your final sand. Wet the tank and hold to the light, you will be able to see problem areas. Try not to sand the primer to hard in one spot or you will see it in the finish when its done. Rattle can paint usually doesnt look great to me but works. Ive found that even a Wagner sprayer can do a better job.
    Theres a lot to bodywork and paint but the skill will be very handy on many projects in life. Even learning how to use light to your advantage is key on lots of things. Give it a try and know there are several expenses for products and tools but as i have learned the most expensive guns and products don't make the paint job, the painter does. Working in bodyshops, you really can learn alot and more than you think it would teach you about, and thats a message to anyone younger. Good luck with the job.

--
    Thanks guys I will post pics as I move on if I have to send the whole tank down to bare metal it's gonna take a little while longer than I thought . I tried to stay away from the bottom seems where my pin holes were at and I can see very lightly where the redkote sealed up the holes .I will be using paint and hope to find a paint that can resist gas , I'll do a good job. A lesson I learned with this trike is not to take a short cut because I woulnt like the outcome and I'll just wind up doing it right the second time . I know it woulnt turn out as well as a shop will do it but it'll give me a little experience due to trial and error ....the best way I learn

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_184014.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	238546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_184032.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	238547 of coarse the pics will be upside down . Basically they are not deep dents but big ,it looks kinda like the were hit with a baseball ,maybe after i get it down to the bare metal i can rig something up to try and pull them out a little

--
    My x tank dents look very similar, my knees were the culprit, lol.

--
    Haha someone told me when i first got it ..that's probly what it was from

--
    I cant help you w/the bondo, but for your last coat on the tank use this if you can http://ebay.to/2j7HrsH
    Its pricey but u can spill fuel on your tank and not worry about your paint job.
    If your spray painting it this will stick to just about any basecoat, its a 2-part clearcoat (need to follow directions on can).
    Hope this helps
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 01-08-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

--
    Thanks for the link Shep . I'll order it tonight .my biggest fear with this is that I would go through all this work on my tank and have it ruined from spilled gas . Do I use this as my clear coat as opposed to using 6 to 10 coats of regular clear coat?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Newrider View Post
    Thanks for the link Shep . I'll order it tonight .my biggest fear with this is that I would go through all this work on my tank and have it ruined from spilled gas . Do I use this as my clear coat as opposed to using 6 to 10 coats of regular clear coat?
    Yes, its clearcoat gets hard as nails, but only has a potlife of 12-24hrs after u mix it (push button on bottom of can releases hardner)
    In low humidity and above 60 temp, DONT breath vapors, wrap a towel around your head. Ha
    3-4 thin coats, dont need to use a gloss basecoat this will actually adhere better to non-gloss base. You can but dont need to lightly wetsand before this paint to dull gloss base if used.
    Make sure basecoat is dry, set it on your furnace a few days maybe.
    Shop around u may find a better price
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 01-08-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Add info

--
    We'll the low humidity should be easy but the garage is cold as he'll !! When im out there ive been using a propane heater which by the way doesnt work to well . Lol i picked the best time of year to start this project . When I get something in my mind I just do it .. my best plans aren't always brightest ideas

--
    I hear ya on timing. But if u try it i'd heat up your garage but dont use this stuff w/flame nearby. Heat up then shut down heat and crack garage door for vent. Its pretty nasty stuff to breath indoors.

Shep

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170116_163610.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	238960 what's up guys , sorry I didn't take to many pics as I went along I used rusto flat black and duplicolor gloss clear engine paint and used a whole can kept my garage as warm as I could and after every coat I put in between an electric heater and my heat lamp ..I didn't get it perfect but it's 100% better and I'm happy with it ..I can now put the red honda wing stickers on !!!! Shep I didn't get a chance to use that 2k clear coat because I'm impatient lol I waited a few days and got an email from eBay that said it was sent back and reshiped again and I'm still waiting maybe I'll put it on over my decals

--
    Sorry it's upside down like always in my pics

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //