//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250R mechanic in San Diego?

--

250R mechanic in San Diego?

Hi,
    This is my first time posting and am not sure if this is the right forum so please let me know.
    I bought an 86 250r that was in bad shape so I went through it. When rebuilding the top end I found it had the cylinder to an 87 TRX so the piston wouldn't fit.
    Got the right one, boyesen reeds, carb rebuild, etc. Anyway the bike has never ran right after several trips to the desert and trying different things. After it gets hot it starts missing then won't start.
    If anyone has a recommendation for a good 250R mechanic that is reasonable priced in the San Diego area I would appreciate it.
    Thanks much

(I originally posted this in the 250R group but got no replies)

--
    There is one up here in Rancho Cucamonga. They know 250r engines inside out. But reasonably priced is not what they are about. They do know their stuff though.

BDT motorsports.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I think the people here can help you get this thing going. So long as you can give clear details of the patterns and trends you see before the problems.

If you have the time you can make a huge write up of exactly everything that you have and, everything that you have done. Exactly what happens. All the details.

The fellas on this site are amazing.

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    ^ agreed.

More info the better. Specs etc. Could be something simple or more deep. Nothing like fixing it yourself. End of the day. Braaaap.

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    You really need to bite the bullet and do a UCCR uncorrected compression ratio check.

You may have damaged your cylinder head already from that pinging noise. It is possible that your machine is set up for higher compression than pump gas is good for. I can explain all this crap to you but.. I am not sure how much you know or don't know??

Did you take pics when you rebuilt the engine? I would really like to see what the cylinder head you have looks like. I can spot modified cylinder heads from a mile a way.

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    Thanks for the reply Bob.
    I'm afraid that's to far for me though.
    Ride on dude

--
    Thank you guys for your responses!
    After having several three wheelers through the decades I always wanted the best one ever made (IMHO)
    I found this beater 86 250R and bought it for $800 knowing I'd be rebuilding the top end and some other things. I took the cylinder to get it bored and bought a Wisco top end kit and a carb kit with Boyseen reeds. While putting it together the cylinder head wouldn't fit, the piston was to high.
    Took it to a Honda dealer and they told me it was a cylinder to a 1987 250r Fourtrax ( which I heard was a hot setup back then). So I bought ANOTHER top end kit, rebuilt the carb and reeds.
    Took it to Glamis and it hauled butt, UNTIL it got hot. Then it would misfire and not start for about a half hour. Then it would start right back up. The plug looked oil fouled ( I was running 32:1 Golden Spectro). Got it home and pulled the carb , changed the jets and replaced the coil just in case.
    Next trip to Glamis same thing, except it wouldn't start after a half hour and I had to be towed back.
    So that's why I'd like to find a mechanic that knows how to work on these motors. It isn't easy for me to take it from where it's stored to work on it and I can't get it hot enough riding it up and down the street. Maybe it's the carb, electrical, seals, etc and I'd just like to get it to run reliably. I'm done trying to fix it my self but don't want to spend to much if possible.
    Thanks again for any help and Happy New Year

--
    As far as ATC 250R specific I would not have a clue in San Diego?
    The only one that I know that I would trust without any question is Alan Knowles @"CT Racing" in Santa Fe Springs few know 250Rs more than most I would venture to guess. There is BDT up Int 15 from as well you but yes they are very expensive..I must admit they did work.."expensive work" for two friends bikes, and there were some pretty questionable issues for such a high price if admission. I might not have the full story either so You'd have to see what others experiences are to form a better opinion.
    In San Diego you have "Kon Tiki" they are a good decades-old shop but they are 2 stroke & 4 stroke (not ATC specific).
    Last edited by this old rz; 01-15-2017 at 12:47 PM.

--
    Thank you for that info. I not in a rush (until about March

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //