//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1986 250r Reeds

--

1986 250r Reeds

My 250r is mostly stock with just an FMF pipe, UNI filter, and supposedly some port work, but I have never had it apart so I cant confirm or deny that is true. My question is what is everyone using for reeds? It currently has the stock reeds and I would like to upgrade them. I am torn between getting a Boyeson Rad valve with reeds an intake, V force 3 reed cage, or the ESR reeds. I could also replace the reeds on the stock cage but just looking for the best option. If anything I would like to find something that works more in the low end, since everywhere I ride there isn't enough room to truly open it up.

Im also hoping this helps with my bog issue, it will bog pretty badly in first and second and not hit the powerband, but once I shift into third it will take off like it should. It did it even with the stock carb, stock pipe and stock jets. Thanks for the replies.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    if you want low to mid, get the boyesen rad valve. Otherwise, a good set of boyesen dual stage carbon reeds will work just fine for your application.

as far as bog....
    1. What pilot are you running?
    2. How many turns out is your air screw?
    3. What clip is your needle on?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I have V force 3's on mine and happy with it. Some people say Boyeson are better for top end and V force for low midrange which sounds like what you are wanting, (I could have that backwards). ESR makes alot of good stuff but I haven't heard many people talk much about their reeds/reedblocks.

As for your issue with bogging. I doubt it fixes that, unless the old reeds are chipped or broken. What carb are you running, stock? And I assume stock ign?

--
    Yeah its the stock 36mm oval slide with a 146 maina and a 42 pilot, needle lowered one clip and the air screw in the stock position. It also has a new cdi box, coil, and high output stator from ricky stator for a baja light setup that will go on sooner or later. Im leaning towards it being jetting, when I got the trike it had a 38mm oval slide on it and It was even worse with that, anything over half throttle was bogging out.

The boyeson rad valve peaked my attention since it comes with the intake boot and everything. Always nice to replace 30 year old parts.
    Trikes Owned:

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    What plug and what gap.

I would fix al problems 1st. Then dump money into after market stuff.

I use V3 reeds.

Its hard to tell the difference between reed cages when you are on and off the throttle.

late 90's and 2000 and 2001 CR250 cages are popular too.

V3's are 120 shipped on Ebay. Boysen's are more.

Lots of motors have been melted from gasket leaks around the intake. Boysen gets the nod for that.

If you have a 38mm carb you may have to get a different carb boot with the boysen?

blah blah blah

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Hagenow View Post
    Yeah its the stock 36mm oval slide with a 146 maina and a 42 pilot, needle lowered one clip and the air screw in the stock position. It also has a new cdi box, coil, and high output stator from ricky stator for a baja light setup that will go on sooner or later. Im leaning towards it being jetting, when I got the trike it had a 38mm oval slide on it and It was even worse with that, anything over half throttle was bogging out.

The boyeson rad valve peaked my attention since it comes with the intake boot and everything. Always nice to replace 30 year old parts.
    how many turns out is your airscrew?

--
    I believe it is like 1 and a half turns out. The plug is a BR9ES NGK. And after a couple hours or riding the plug is brown on the porcelain that is showing. I didn't chop it but it runs great after 3rd gear. And it will start right up and idle for days. It just sat in an uninsulated shed for 2 months and it fired first kick with the same gas that was in it when it was 0 degrees out. Which is 92 octane mixed 32:1 with Amsoil Interceptor.

I think I am going to build a leak down tester and see if the crank seals are good. Forgot about testing those until I saw another thread on it recently.
    Trikes Owned:

--
    I would do this test first to see if your pilot circuit is in tune.

Turn air screw in until its lightly seated and then turn it out 1 full turn. Start it and let idle in garage. Get it up to operating temp and slowly turn airscrew out and listen for an increase in idle while counting the number of turns. When it stops increasing in idle write down the number of turns out on the airscrew.

>2 turns at highest idle pilot is too big
    <1 turn at highest idle and pilot is too small

IMO, the sweet spot is 1.5 turns at highest idle.

If this checks out, then we move to your needle.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //