//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Removing atc70 rear sprocket

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Removing atc70 rear sprocket

I have removed the hub and the sleeve that goes between the hub and the sprocket but I absolutely can not get that hub off the sprocket is up against. Is the sprocket, cushions, and hub/guard supposed to just slide off once the rear left axle sleeve is off?

--
    is there a snap ring on that sprocket?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Yes they are supposed to just slide off. Same with the brake drum on the other side. All that holds the rear end together is the hub nuts on either side. Probably going to have to heat it and beat it with a and a block of wood.

Will the axle slide out of the rear bearings? I have heard horror stories about axles getting stuck in those as well.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    I have not taken anything off the brake side. With the hub and axle sleeve removed from the sprocket side I beat the axle with a and block of wood to try to drive it out the other side but it is not moving at all.

--
    I was ready to torch the sprocket guard/hub but it feels like there might be some rubber inbetween the guard and sprocket.

--
    There are dampeners in where the sprocket rides in the sprocket hub.I would try removing the hub, sleeve and brake drum from the other side. and try beating it back and forth some to brake it loose. All of the guards bolt to the outside of the frame so they could come off to get them out of your way.
    Trikes Owned:

--
    Will heating the hub with a torch damage the dampeners?

--
    More than likely look up the rear axle assembly on partszilla and you can see what's all in there and what it's going to cost if you trash it. But the easy way is remove the brake drum cover and loosen the brakes all the way off and do like Evan said and put a block of wood on the end off the axle and beat on it to drive the axle out of the bike and the hub off the splines. It might be better to have some one help hold the bike when you are beating on the axle
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    And the axle should be able to come out both ways right?

--
    Yes It should be able to come out both ways. And the dampeners are still available from honda brand new for like 2 bucks a piece if you damage it. A buddy went through this same problem on his 74 and it just took a couple days of soaking in lube and beating on it. It eventually came out.
    Trikes Owned:

--
    Thanks guys. I got the axle out today. I took the drum guard off and tried beating the axle with a both ways by using a block of wood to protect the axle. It mever moved doing that. I put a nut on the axle ends and beat the nut directly with the and bent the axle where its threaded. Luckily I have a spare axle.
    What I ended up doi g was putting the hub back on and using a deep socket to go over the end of the axle and up against the hub. I beat the socket with the and it started moving. A bearing was seized to the axle which was likely the problem.

I put the 'new' axle and sprocket on and am ready to finish the build.

--
    You putting a 125m motor in a 70?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    It's already in. I just need to instal the electrical.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //