//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yamaha ytm200 intermittent engine "knock"

--

Yamaha ytm200 intermittent engine "knock"

I picked up an '83 ytm200 (non-running) pretty cheap last week and got it running without much trouble. The thing is, it has an intermittent knock when running. I can't tell where it's coming from but it is not consistent. Any idea on what it could be? When I say intermittent, I mean it will randomly do it, maybe 4 or 5 times in a 20 second span, regardless of what rpm the engine is at. Any help is appreciated

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Post a video if you can.

--
    Without knowing anything else, have you checked the cam chain?

--
    I have not checked the cam chain. Do you have any links or links to threads on how to do it? I got it running and tried to dial in the carb quick, but didn't want to run it too long with the weird knocking. Also, I "had" to go ice fishing with the boys so didn't have a whole lot of time to mess with it. I left it at my brother's farm so I will try to get a video this weekend, we will see if I make it down there though...

--
    Buy a service manual or download one from oscarmayer.net.

--
    Finally made it down to the farm for some riding time over the weekend. I downloaded the manual from the site mentioned above and was prepared to do some needed adjustment. When I pulled it out of the shed I got it started on about the 5th pull and it made the knock just a few times in the first 30 seconds and then quit. I messed with the carb and got it dialed in pretty good. I then changed the oil and adjusted the decompression cable a little bit and it has been running great! I don't know if the fact that it was only about 25 degrees last time I worked on it and it was nearly 60 degrees this time had anything to do with it?? I probably only put 3 miles on it at the most but am pretty happy that it isn't knocking anymore. I plan to check the camchain adjustment next time I go ride it. Thanks for posting the link for the manual!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //