//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: basic thumb vs twist throttle question

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    Yes sir, it was. It's always in the back of my head when I ride my dirt bike now. This thread really got me thinking about converting my dirt bike to thumb. I just need to find one for an FCR carb. It uses a push/pull cable.
    I've had so many bad crashes when I used to race. My favorite one to this day I was going as fast as I could through a whoop section lost control and went face first into one of the whoops. Still don't know if that knocked me out or my buddy behind me running over my head. I stopped riding for a few years when I moved to the city then moved back to the country I had no balls to do anything I used to do and would only think about my wrecks. This sounds bad but I started drinking beer before I would ride just to get back into it. Now I don't think about it anymore.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    I've had so many bad crashes when I used to race. My favorite one to this day I was going as fast as I could through a whoop section lost control and went face first into one of the whoops. Still don't know if that knocked me out or my buddy behind me running over my head. I stopped riding for a few years when I moved to the city then moved back to the country I had no balls to do anything I used to do and would only think about my wrecks. This sounds bad but I started drinking beer before I would ride just to get back into it. Now I don't think about it anymore.
    Ha ha. Yeah, used to drink one of those airplane vodka bottles before I had to give a speech in college. Worked like a charm. Maybe a beer is what I need before a ride now. Either way, getting more motivated to convert the dirtbike to a thumber.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    Ha ha. Yeah, used to drink one of those airplane vodka bottles before I had to give a speech in college. Worked like a charm. Maybe a beer is what I need before a ride now. Either way, getting more motivated to convert the dirtbike to a thumber.
    Hey it might work for you too. I've never ridden a dirt bike with a thumb throttle would be cool to try.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The push cable isn't needed. I had to make a cable for my old lady's CL360 when I swapped it from a push/pull to single.

I'd imagine that the bike pull cable would be too long and that a thumb throttle wouldn't have the throw to it to get WOT. You'll have to try it and see.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by efhondakid View Post
    The push cable isn't needed. I had to make a cable for my old lady's CL360 when I swapped it from a push/pull to single.

I'd imagine that the bike pull cable would be too long and that a thumb throttle wouldn't have the throw to it to get WOT. You'll have to try it and see.
    Yeah, I was reading a YFZ450 cable is what I need for the conversion. Gonna get the Terry Dual Gasser combo. This way I can switch back to twist easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual-gasser--polished.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	239064

--
    Not sure how I feel about that...

--
    The first day my dad brought his 84 Tecate home from the dealership (equiped with a twist throttle) my uncle hopped on the thing to take a lap around the yard. The first lap around, he ran it full bore 5th gear pinned right into the side of their porch. He blames it on the twist throttle.

The only twist throttle, not on a dirt bike, I've ever used was on an 87 Tecate 4. I find it harder to control the RPMs then with a thumb throttle. Again that's just my personal preference.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 350xtrike.rider View Post
    The first day my dad brought his 84 Tecate home from the dealership (equiped with a twist throttle) my uncle hopped on the thing to take a lap around the yard. The first lap around, he ran it full bore 5th gear pinned right into the side of their porch. He blames it on the twist throttle.
    When the FACT is that he he was refusing to accept responsibility for his own lack of skill just like a like a lot of other people did that got the sale of new 3 wheelers in the US stopped.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Well that escalated quickly
    he was the local amateur champion in 85/86 on his 250r

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 350xtrike.rider View Post
    he was the local amateur champion in 85/86 on his 250r
    The word "Amateur" is a significant one, also, experience with a thumb throttle is obviously not the same as experience with a twist throttle and vise versa, however, since the TECATE is the most powerful 3 wheeler in the universe, it is possible that the additional power it had over the 250r was at least a contributing factor to his unintentional remodeling of their house.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Twist throttles cost much less than thumb throttles. This may be why they ended up on the Mighty Tecate trikes. Cost savings may also explain easily discolored gas tank materials and electrical components on these trikes. Yamaha on the other hand put more attention into such details on their Tri-Z
    It sucks to get old

Queef Chief is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Twist throttles cost much less than thumb throttles. This may be why they ended up on the Mighty Tecate trikes. Cost savings may also explain easily discolored gas tank materials and electrical components on these trikes. Yamaha on the other hand put more attention into such details on their Tri-Z
    I love my Mighty Tecates, but this is quality entertainment right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    They were both left in the dust by the supreme 3-wheeler overlord that is the 250R.

--
    Well since I was involved with the development of "The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" since its inception until the demise of ALL 3 wheelers in the US which was caused by the "Consent Decree", I happen to know for a FACT that cost was NOT a consideration when deciding which style of throttle to use . The FACT is that "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" received a twist throttle because that is what I and the vast majority of people whom were involved in making that decision wanted it to have.

Another FACT is that the majority of the PRO level 3 wheel racers including myself, used twist throttles, however, since I never asked all of racers that used twist throttles, why they used them, or whether they preferred twist throttles or thumb throttles, I don't know for certain why they used them . Also, since the Tri Z NEVER won a single PRO level championship while these bikes were in production like "The Tecate....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" did SEVERAL times, nor to my knowledge did it ever even win a PRO level race during this time, it doesn't seem reasonable to use it as an example of why a thumb throttle may be superior in application to a twist throttle . In reality, the FACT that most, if not all of these races were won by people riding bikes that had twist throttles suggests that twist throttles outperform the thumb throttles in this particular application.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by efhondakid View Post
    They were both left in the dust by the supreme 3-wheeler overlord that is the 250R.
    ummm...the FACT is that "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler in The Universe! won SEVERAL races and SEVERAL Championships over both the Tri Z's and 250r's including the very last 3 wheeler race ever held at Saddleback Park which was a PRO short track race that included most of the top riders in the world including Jimmy White which was won by ME with Jimmy getting second and Honda lagging somewhere further behind in OUR dust . Another FACT is that I won that race using our test bike which had the stock electrical system and mostly stock chassis, suspension, swing arm, and clutch.

AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //